• Nobles of Null is a forum based roleplay site where sci-fi and magic collide. Here, Earth remains fractured and divided despite humanity reaching out to the stars. Worse still, the trans-human slaves of one major power have escaped, only to establish their own Empire, seething with resentment at abuses of the past. Even the discovery of aliens, though medieval in development, has failed to rally these squabbling children of Earth together with its far darker implications. Worse still, is the discovery of the impossible - magic. Practiced by the alien locals, nearly depleted and therefore rare, its reality warping abilities remains abstract and distant to the general populace. All the while, unseen in the darkness of space, forces from without threaten to press in. For those with eyes opened by insight, it is clear that an era is about to end, and that a new age will dawn.

Chapter 9: Return Home

CadetNewb

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
Co-authored by: Ray of Meep (GM), Acewing13, ArsenicJohn, Ikate Keda Studios, PaladinGreco, Piston1937, TheCountryWarrior

2320, Six weeks after departure from the Silbern System
Low Earth Orbit, Daheim One

"Juan, Beatrix, Derek, Jami, Luna, Serafina, report to the bridge." Ulrike announced through the ship comms. It's been a few days since Daheim One entered Earth-Luna space, and Ulrike already recruited two new members, one from Luna no less. Another Seraphim V space plane has already docked to the frigate again. It didn't take much to put two and two together.

Jamison Butterworth sighed and put down the cleaning brush and the firing hammer of his MG-130 down. Being interupted wasn't such a bad thing but it was still mildly annoying that they still wouldn't schedule things ahead of time. Tossing the oily gloves into an open crate he snagged a look at the map of the ship he had printed and stuck to the wall with magnets. Ignoring the notes drawn on it with some markers, mainly about where people tended to hangout and what important places were where, he ran a finger along the way to the bridge. His route plotted he threw on a new shirt and stepped through the barricade around the door, which had grown a nice line of barbed wire, before making the hike up the ship to the bridge.

Luna, on the otherhand, was already on the bridge, holding a pouch in her hand. She wore a casual jump suit, and her eyes were hazy and seemed unfocused as she bore a hole into the back of Joan's head, pulling out what looked to be small sugar cookies, and chewing on them without too obnoxious a level of noise. This had been the norm for the woman. She would stare and eat, at anyone really. Sometimes it seemed she was staring off into the distance, but if you stepped in front of her you would have to leave to get her eyes to stop following you.

Sitting in front of a console was a focused and determined Joan. Her entire body was strapped to it, with a wheel chair maglocked next to her. A control stick and fans were attached to it, along with a pair of crutches with their own maglocks on them. She turned around and nodded to Juan with a flat expression, before going back to her work on the console.

Juan nodded back to Joan, his expression largely unreadable. He had been awake for some time, moving about and checking his own equipment. While it wasn't strange for him, he'd been more reserved since the last mission. He stood here now, waiting for instructions, or a meet and greet, or whatever.

Beatrix yawned, kicking out of her sleeping bag as she shook off the nap time disorientation. Taking a swig of lukewarm coffee, she brushed the wrinkles out of her jumpsuit and put on her magshoes, before heading out the door, pulling her hair back into a ponytail as she walked. Once on the bridge, she smiled and nodded to her coworkers as she took an unused chair and turned it to face the group.

Serafina woke to a furry white face with big blue eyes staring at her. “Morning, Hannibal.” She said, reaching over to scratch behind his ears. Despite spending time finding and circumventing any recording devices in her room, she didn’t dare speak freely. Until she knew who she could trust, she would be Serafina. Hannibal was the only one who knew the truth and he was the only one she trusted to be perfectly loyal.

She put on magshoes and then slipped Hannibal’s mag boots on. Yawning, she unstrapped herself and climbed out of bed. Next she squeezed a tube of pureed dog food into a container for Hannibal, connected the straw and stuck the container to the wall with a magnet. Then she took his water container off the wall next to it, refilled it, and attached it to the wall again.

While the dog unzipped his sleeping bag with his teeth and padded over a few steps to eat his liquid breakfast, she heated up a mug of coffee and grabbed a pouch of her own breakfast. She relieved herself in the proper receptacle and straightened up in the mirror, checking that her tan still appeared intact. Her routine complete, she quickly gulped down her breakfast and tossed the tube in the trash. Hannibal finished doing his business and waited patiently. Serafina tied her hair in a bun and opened the door with the push of a button.

She walked to the bridge, the big white dog following close behind. Once she reached the bridge she found a seat and turned to face the others. Hannibal sat down beside her and yawned, examining the other people with his piercing blue eyes.

Derek arrived last, still wearing an old dock yard jumpsuit with numerous burns all over it. He had the matching helmet on, but the visor was presently up. He had his datapad tethered to his hip, and a really old, somewhat battered dataslate stuck to his torso with good old fashioned velcro. There was the distinct smell of something burned and also of ozone about his person. What he'd been doing to be dressed like that was a complete mystery to everyone in the room, except Ulrike. "I'm here, boss." Derek seemed content to just stand where he was, maglocked to the floor.

"Morning to you all." Ulrike and Eberhard were standing in the center of the room in front of the command table. While the couple were both in the normal, grey jumpsuits, Eberhard had a tube coming out of his right lung, its interface with the clothing sealed by plastic, and ended at a box on his belt. His breathing was slow and audible.

Ulrike put up a view of the Seraphim V currently docked to the command module. True to its name, it was a beauty of an aerospace-craft. Twin engines sat comfortably in the back of a sleak, white fuselage with a pair of great wings that currently folded inward. Round windows lined the sides as they would a typical passenger jet. Beside that of the Seraphim V, there was another image on screen, this time a map of an island in the Mediterranean Sea: Sicily.

"I hope you guys have been using the VR room frequently," Eberhard began in a slow a steady talking pace, "because you'll be sent down to the surface. Well, most of you will anyways. Joan and I will be staying behind on the ship for another month, first because of our injuries, second because we need to monitor the systems as we shut Daheim One down."

"In ovah words," Joan said, looking over her shoulder the best she could. " 'ave fun in Italy. Dun git too fat, in make sure da kids git picked up by me mum. Asked 'er ta take care of dem."

"The children are adorable," Luna said, finally pulling her eyes away from Joan, slowly looking at everyone else. "Too bad they will not be staying with us."

"Not a chance..." Joan said sharply.

Jami looked at Ulrike with a tad bit of confusion. "Is this a mission or shore leave?" Being the almost seven foot tall giant he was he wouldn't mind a mission in a place that had a ceiling taller than six feet but if it was shore leave he was probably better off just staying on the ship if only to keep his claimed area intruder free.

"Both. It'll be a change in mission environment, for a mix of reasons." Ulrike replied. "One, the current Hawking Rebellion has sent ripples through the rest of the human community. To be specific, it has galvanized other terrorist and rebel groups: if a fringe organization was able to take down six Statesmen-classes, then they surely would stand a chance at overthrowing the status quo as well. Thus, we're looking at more chaos in vulnerable areas on Earth that demand our attention. Two..."

Ulrike sighed. "We're looking at a budget cut. To be sure, you all are going to keep your salaries, but we won't be able to zip around interplanetary space as much as we'd like anymore. The silver lining, unfortunatley, is that the Hawking Rebellion has temporarily given us a way out of a financial conundrum. Such is the nature of war; we as mercenaries profit off of it." She shrugged.

"Money sounds important," Luna sighed. "Too much stress..."

Castle still looked a bit confused, it wasn't the most direct mission objective he had been given but then again he had had worse. "So we go down there and sit in a hotel room until the riots start? Or are we playing at policing forces?"

Serafina was pretty sure that the dog girl was under the influence of something. She frowned, curious how they had managed to end up with a Daqin on the ship. It was even more surprising to see the state of Eberhard and Joan. Whatever had happened after that trial must have been big trouble.

She wondered what the odds were that they would be going to Italy right after she came from there. It wasn’t a big surprise to be going to a GDW nation, though. She was confused what the mission was exactly, but she was hesitant to speak up as a new member of the crew. When the big man spoke up first she nodded.

“Y-yes, more specific details would be greatly appreciated.” She said, her Italian accent becoming a little more noticeable with her nervousness.

CadetNewb

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
"A little bit more serious than that. But first, you're going to pack your bags and get settled down there first." Ulrike explained. "There's an old military base on the outskirts of Syracuse that the military is giving us as a base of operations. Then, you're going to spend a week getting acclamated to Earth's environment again. After that is anyone's guess. Terrorists aren't exactly predictable."

Derek nodded. "It's been years since I set foot on terra firma. A little acclimation would be nice." The man turned thoughtful for a moment, then added. "We can use the drones to help offload what we need from the ship easier. I keep my tools of the trade packed up in cargo crates, and we have spare empties collpased and stacked in the hold. Should be fairly simple to put the stack together, stuff them with what we need, and get moving." He paused again, obviously thinking a little more before continuing, "I can do the conversion from zero-G thrust packs to groundside crawlers and quad rotors in about an hour for the whole lot of them. As long as you show me where everything needs to be delivered, and you mark the containers ahead of time, I can just tell the little guys where to take all the boxes automatically."

Derek flashed an instructors shit-eating grin. "Before you think this is all out of the kindness of my heart, there will be plenty of PT the following morning. And every morning, for that matter, until we've all got our ground legs back."

"That's another thing we wanted to address." Eberhard followed up. "We've got a few more recruits. You, Derek, then Jami, Luna, and Sera." He looked at each of them in acknowledgement. "Can I call you that, by the way?"

Serafina blushed, looking away to break eye contact. “Sera’s alright, I suppose. My full name is a bit of a mouthful.” She said, patting her dog gently while she sipped her coffee.

Eberhard nodded. "Anyways, the team will also be without me or Joan in the forseeable future. That's quite the revolving door we just went through, so you guys will have to go through some team coordination training, starting the next day after you land and unpack your bags. Ulrike will be on the ground with you to give you further details, and we'll be cooperating with the Italian national guard for the exercises."

Jami grunted at the mention of team building exercises and barely batted an eye at the idea of PT in a full G. He had been exercising every morning for the entire flight only difference now would his feet would be sorer afterwards and he could drop the weights. Though this did come with the major upside of the cieling being several hundred miles taller than the six foot spaces in the ship.

When Eberhard was finished, she nodded. “I have the advantage of just having come from Earth. Still, some exercise is never a bad thing. I can also poke around the web in that time and see if I can find out what the crazies are planning.”

"And not see Italy?" Beatrix asked, looking over at Serafina. "I mean, I remember Ulrike saying you're from there, but that just means you'll be a great tour guide. And when we get tired of that, we can go on a day trip to my neck of the woods, London. You know what they say about all work and no play, right?"

Sera looked at the tall British blonde and nodded. “I’m from Rome, but I have been to Sicilia many times. There are some beautiful beaches near Siracusa, and the Cathedral of Santa Maria delle Colonne is breathtaking. If you don’t get freaked out too easily we could check out the Catacombs of San Giovanni.” She said, winking at Beatrix.

“Oh, but the Aquarium in Siracusa, questa è la mia preferita!” She blurted out excitedly. “We have to go. The fish are so beautiful.”

"You can call me anything..." Luna said in a singsong tone. "Just don't call me yours, do do, do da da do do," She hummed cheerfully as she floated away.

Castle looked at the route the conversation was taking and decided to follow the obviously mentaly stunted or possibly impaired wolf Daqin thing's example. Adding his own twist on the exit strategy he gave a quick if not entirely formal salute and headed for his storage room.

Eberhard gave Ulrike a look, then commented at Luna. "I'm not too familiar with Aos Si culture, but is this how your culture usually acts? You act like how a human would when they're high on drugs. In fact, humans do historically hide that stuff in their cookies."

Luna stopped, slowly turning around. She didn't look malicious as she mulled over the question, just moved slowly. "Humans have a strange need to put everything in boxes..." She sighed softly. "I suppose that is just something you do in your culture," She remarked, starting to walk out again. "Children will be such..." She sighed as she left.

Sera gasped. “Aos Si? Oh, that makes more sense. I can’t believe I thought she was Daqin.”

The man sighed, then addressed the rest of the crew. "Please take the training seriously, and may God help you all."

-------------------------------------

Two hours before landfall....

"Uggh," Beatrix said, taking a third suitcase out to the hallway, "Why do I have so much shit?"

Sera didn’t appear to have much luggage, just one suitcase for herself and Hannibal. Nobody saw her loading or unloading her suitcase, so it was difficult to guess what she had in it. She had claimed one of the machine pistols, so it was likely she was bringing it down with her. The dog had a pack of equipment on his back as well, her tablets and other electronics packed up neatly inside.

She stepped out into the hall and frowned at Beatrix. “You sure have a lot of clothes. I never would have guessed you were the high maintenance type.” Sera said playfully.

"If you think I'm high maintenance, you should see my mother," Bee said, smiling as she shook her head. "Can't go on an overnight trip without bringing a dozen changes of clothes. No, one of these is clothes, one's my vaccsuit, since it's fitted to me and I'd hate to find a replacement in an emergency. The last one is my toys, mostly my console and other...things," she added, with a wink. "If we end up going shopping though, I'll probably accumulate a few more suitcases though."

---- Meanwhile.... ----

Castle felt uneasy about this whole plan. He had been deployed on planets and even on earth before but this time something felt off. He double checked the alarms set around his camp in the storage room, made sure he had disarmed the electrified barbedwire, double and triple checked his two crates of gear, made sure the 'Stay out' sticker on the door wasn't peeling off, and checked the vents in the room for anything suspisous.

Not finding anything wrong he locked the door that didn't originaly lock and picked up both crates before heading off to wherever this place was.

---- Meanwhile.... ----

Derek stood at the entry to the new shuttle the Graus had somehow acquired, making sure the smallish fleet of carrier drones brought the containers of gear he'd earmarked to take with them from the armory. He also made sure the drones didn't get in the way of anyone trying to board or disembark from the shuttle, including one another, while they did this. He hadn't needed quite as many of the crates as he'd first estimated, either, which was nice. The help Mongomery and a couple of ship ratings had provided had cut the task of selecting what to take and packing it up down from a few hours to 30-odd minutes, too. Derek had promised the men one of the return crates would be for them, luck permitting, as thanks. At this point, all the carrier drones really neeeded to do was grab the last crate on their way back to the shuttle, each of which was the atmospheric conversion kit for operating on earth, and they were sorted.

As for Derek, he'd already stowed both his portable locker with all his personal items and the carry-on that had his new space suit in it, and was now just standing near the entry waiting for drones or crew to turn up.

CadetNewb

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
---- Later.... ----

Luna sat lazily in her room, looking at the many plants that doominated her room.She was, admittedly, quite pleased with how simple it was to procure plants from her homeland. Her room was effectively a jungle, with a few paths to the most important parts of her small cabin. The air was also fantastic! So much nicer than the constantly recycled stuff the ship put out. She munched on a cookie, her face screwing up a little, before what was danling just out of her minds reach came back. She was here to pack. She frowned, standing up and beginning the process of filling the large glass bulbs in each planter with water. then she packed her suitcase.

Most of it was, admittedly, bags of cookies. as well as several large self sealing bags of various clippings from the plants in the room. She would need them on earth. She continued her process of packing. before realizing she might need clothes. She sighed again, grabbing two outfits. Nothing fancy. two crop tops, two pairs of shorts. She had fur, so it wasn't like she had to concern herself with warmth, unless they were going somewhere really cold, but she doubted that. Finally, she grabbed a little lock box. Inside was a necklace, with a large deep purple, almost black gem in it. It was very nicely cut, and always gave her the strangest mix of emotions when wearing it. But, it had been given to her by her parents, so she put it on, giving herself a moment to aclimatize to the new feelings swirling and left.

She sat on the shuttle quietly, watching as Miranda and Jacob walked past her, smaller suitcases in tow.

"We 'eading to grandmum's 'ouse?" Miranda asked, and the groan Jacob gave made it clear this was not the first time she had asked.

"Yes! Blimey, ya'd fink we didn't 'ave ta sit wif mum fer two 'ol hours bein given da rules," HE said, looking up at the storage compartments. He was too short to reach it.

"I can help you," Luna said softly, starting to get up, but Jacob gave her an uncomfortable look.

"Uh..." He said, shaking his head. "We're fine... Plus mum said we shouldn't be talking wif you... Ya know... Strangers in such," He said simply. "Fanks dough, ah'll figure it out some'ow."

Luna frowned, but sat back down. "Let me know if you change your mind," She said simply.

"Dat was rude," Miranda hissed quietly at jacob. "She just wan' ta give us a brass, is all!"

"You 'eard mum!" Jacob said, shooing Miranda back into her seat. "Ah ain't bout ta give 'er no trouble at all aftah wha' 'appened, in if ya cared ya do da same," he scolded, making Miranda pout.

Juan wasn't far behind the children, having wrestled with his own luggage for some time. He had never been fantastic at packing, and Joan's help was the only way it all fit in one large suitcase. He had made it his mission to get the kids to their abuela's house safely, his eyes neervous as the time for planetfall grew closer. All this work to never see an entire planet again, and it pulled him back in. He'd make a joke about it if the joke in his head didn't hit so close to home. His solace was that time had passed, and so perhaps so had much of the danger, and these kids needed him. He'd move the world for the kids, so he felt confident that he could make the journey. The thought of 'gravity' and 'air resistance' seemed familiar yet alien to him, like a nightmare one fondly remembers.

His first action was to help Jacob get his luggage into place, smiling at him fondly. "Smart man. Don't worry Miranda, no one's going to be too mad about it. Let's just sit and get ready for a trip!"

Jami took one look at the door to the shuttle and groaned internaly. "Can I just take a drop pod down?" Castle grumbled this under his breath cursing all spaceship designer who had something against people taller than 5 foot ten. Carrying the large gun case, after handing off his two very large and very heavy crates to the cargo drones, he squeezed his way into the shuttle and moved back about as far as he dared before attempting to occupy a seat made for someone about half as tall and a quarter the thickness of himself. Legroom wasn't existant and comfort would be a far off dream. Luckily Jami knew it would only be a few hours of accelerating beforehe could just lay across the seats then he could relax and get comfortable before they hit the hooks into the atmosphere. So all in all he had very little to complain about.

Once the last of the drones was aboard, Derek entered the shuttle and took a seat.

---- Meanwhile.... ---

The interior of the Seraphim V was very much like that of a passenger jet. A walkway divided two singular columns of seats. A low, round ceiling provided a squeezed, but in some ways cozy environment. The front of the aerospace-craft was fairly spacious though, with a lift that brought cargo down to the lower half of the vessel to be maglocked and strapped in.

As the last of Daheim One's crew came on board, Ulrike was the last to board. She was in her grey jumpsuit, as usual, with her own small suitcase. Scanning along the aisles, she called out to Juan. "Hey, would you mind sitting with me in the cockpit?"

Juan looked at her, confused mostly. He could guess what she wanted though, given the conversation she could have also been in but decided to eavesdrop on instead. He stood up and headed over, following her into the cockpit. "Sure, for a bit I guess."

The cockpit was a simple affair. Two seats accompanied by tablets and manual steering wheels. The front windows showed Earth taking up the left side of the view. Ulrike sat down and tapped away at the datapad, inputting commands so simply that a teenager could've accomplished the task. "Standby. Detaching from Daheim One."

There was a subtle acceleration. The sounds of thrusters could be heard faintly through the ship. From the side windows, the frigate could be seen moving further away from the shuttle. Then, there was an even greater acceleration that pushed everyone to the back of their seats as the Seraphim V degraded its own orbit, allowing itself to start moving into the atmosphere.

Ulrike sighed, then looked at Juan besides her. "We got a lead."

His face hardned, and he nodded stiffly. "Ah. I both hoped and dreaded hearing that. What's the details? If you can tell me. I'd prefer it if you did."

"Rome. That's where he was last recorded on any registry." Ulrike looked forward as the shuttle oriented itself into the atmosphere. "I doubt he's still there, but it's worth looking." She paused. "Eberhard wanted me to give you time, so I will, but I won't be paying you or anyone who wants to go along. Are we clear?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I know." He looked forward, staring holes into the window. "How much time? Can I get the kids to their Grandmother?"

"Right." Ulrike tapped her chin. "You best take the first flight to London once we get down there. You'll most likely miss a day of training, since you'll probably want to spend some time with Joan's children."

Juan was mostly still, his eyes fixed on a distant point in space. "I've trained enough anyway, I know how to fight terrorists. It's how I started. Thanks you for the day at least. I'll try to enjoy it. Should I meet you at our temp HQ?"

"Sure." Ulrike nodded. "Better get back to the children."

Juan nodded, and without a word returned to the kids, sitting by them with a neutral smile. For now, he would be happy, until such a time came that he'd have to very upset. They wouldn't be there for that anyway.

There was a slight turbulence, then a sonic boom, as the Seraphim V entered the atmosphere at hypersonic speeds. There were brief flashes of light at the nose of the shuttle, gasses coming out of pores to cool it down. Then, after a few minutes, all was peaceful, as the shuttle soared high above the clouds below, gradually lowering its altitude, before swiftly, the terrain below was revealed to them.

The Mediterranean Sea was massive, with more liquid water than any space-borne could ever dream of, stretching for hundreds of miles to the front and right of the Seraphim V as it skirted along the edges of the south European coastline, folding out its wings as it moved from hypersonic to supersonic to transonic. Eventaully, Sicily itself came into view. While the center of the great island was kept rural and prestine, its coasts were covered in metallic and concrete infrastructure that stretched into the ocean. A rocket could be seen ascending from one of the many launch pads, with space shuttles and aircraft alike descending down on the runways.

Alas, the Lancers' Seraphim V joined them. With the rolling waves to their left, the shuttle skirted down onto the runway, taking only a few minutes before coming to a smooth halt. A land shuttle was already waiting for them on the ground.

Ulrike stretched her arms far up as she could reach, unbounded from closed in walls and a short ceiling from the past year or so in space. "Welcome to Earth, people, and welcome home."