• Nobles of Null is a forum based roleplay site where sci-fi and magic collide. Here, Earth remains fractured and divided despite humanity reaching out to the stars. Worse still, the trans-human slaves of one major power have escaped, only to establish their own Empire, seething with resentment at abuses of the past. Even the discovery of aliens, though medieval in development, has failed to rally these squabbling children of Earth together with its far darker implications. Worse still, is the discovery of the impossible - magic. Practiced by the alien locals, nearly depleted and therefore rare, its reality warping abilities remains abstract and distant to the general populace. All the while, unseen in the darkness of space, forces from without threaten to press in. For those with eyes opened by insight, it is clear that an era is about to end, and that a new age will dawn.

Day in the Life: Aos Si Ruins on Jing

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
A light blinked on Bukang's HUD, and he responded by eyeing it. "Hello? You have comms." He started, turning his back against the Aos Si.

"So soon..." The human muttered, with a small disappointment.

"... Well, they did warn us."

"... Yeah, they're standing right next to me."

"... Right, the agreement... it does feel weird."

He then scoffed. "A certain transportation company's going to very much enjoy the PR, yes... Well, I'm literally wasting oxygen here, I'll let her make the decision."

Bukang turned back around with a small sigh. "Your people pushed up the timetable. Not your people; you're Goedwish; it's the UES. I take back what I said about Aos Si being patient; their High Priest seemed to be in quite the rush to come over here. Regardless, per our agreement, your company, New Age Technologies, is technically in charge of this temple until you and the rest of the Aos Si can figure out some sort of common heritage agreement. So for now,"

He put his hands up. "You make the call if you want the High Priest to step foot in here. It will disrupt our research. You have twelve hours to turn him away."

CadetNewb

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
Amisra let out a laugh.

"As much as it would amuse me to cross verbal blades with the High Priest, I would rather not deal with him at this vital moment." Crossing her arms, the redhead's emerald eyes looked off in thought, if only for a moment. "Tell him he is not allowed to come, as the Starry Lark artifacts are particularly delicate and need ample care," she grinned, flashing her gaze at Gwaed and Fioda with a hint of mischief. Turning her attention back to Bukang, Amisra elaborated, if only a little. "This should make him hesitate, given the creature is considered 'not kosher', and even if he insists, those that consider it a holy bird will be enraged by his recklessness."

"Though, could he be useful?" she questioned, raising an eyebrow at the other Aos'Si.

Foxen

Fioda drummed her fingers on her thigh, looking at the blank wall again. The researcher, Bukang, had irritated her. While elves on the whole were patient, Fioda herself had personally been burned by the tendency; one could suffer quite a lot, with enough patience. That could be as much a flaw as a virtue. High politics were not Fioda's strong point, but this time she had a feeling. If any group in this little research alliance needed to know something about Aos'si space travel, it was going to be the UES.

Fioda's recording device, for instance, was UES shadow-tech. The resistance, and the Empty House, did business with them. If one of their agents got in here too - so what. Looking the pair in front of her over, Fioda figured that they were just going to be looking at the tech, anyway, but if Fioda understood anything about her people at all, it was that they were traditionalists by preference, modern by necessity. Technology and spirituality, therefore, were often the vehicle for each other - with now-inaccessible magic the bridge over that gap.

"This seems like some of it might have been a place of religious worship," the security guard observed. "If he's this damn excited, it isn't like we can pick this up and walk away with it. Maybe he knows something we don't."

CadetNewb

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
"Then it's settled," Amisra smiled. "Perhaps he will give us some insight into what secrets this place holds, and if he begins to give us issue, perhaps do the humane thing and deliver the news that too much presence is causing artifact deterioration," the redheaded Aos'Si noted with pleasure. "That, or some other thinly veiled 'middle finger' as I am told it is called." Turning to her counterpart though, she raised an eyebrow. "You've been a little more quiet dear. Might I ply your mind for its thoughts with a humble Yuan?" she teased him.

Gwaed blinked, eyes focusing once more. He'd been half listening, the information settling in his mind as it coursed through many of the same questions. They had received visions, seemingly unprompted, from the site. If it had done so before it was a ruin that would direct belief into this being a temple once. Temples often found themselves the repository of as many books as could be held. While the presence of those books could point to a library, or a university of some sort, the art upon the walls suggested religion to have a larger hand. Then again, the line between a place of secular learning and a place of sacred learning was often nonexistent.

And now his eyes focused in on Amisra, flowing red hair and shining eyes catching his attention before his mind caught up to the conversation. Even while dazed and lost in thought he'd managed to settle into a vaguely attractive and thoughtful pose, now replaced by military-like bearing. "We need to ensure we have pictures of the site, as well as the layout mapped. I want the every book on the shelf charted. Call me human-like, but I don't trust the zealots not to take something to further claims of legitimacy. We need to ensure the answers given aren't born of religious or scientific bias, as much as can be done."

He gave a sigh. "How did they learn so quickly? I had thought you, dear," he said with pointed eyes at Amisra, "would have had interest in being sneaky just a bit longer. No matter. We've a zealot to... kindly interrogate." He, standing tall, began to walk towards their next destination. He stopped deliberately next to the young researcher, Sun Bukang, leaned down just a bit and whispered in a low voice heard by the human and the nearest Aos Si. "Do not ever assume something has 'completely went over my head.' I will ask for clarification when I need it. If I do not ask for clarification, assume I do not need it." Standing straight again, hands behind his back with military grace and authority, he stepped forward and soon stopped, waiting for Amisra.

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
"Your constituents, Professor Li, they must be very proud of you, Gentleman Hewyllys." Bukang smiled knowingly. He knew better than to poke the pride of an Aos Si, espeacially Gwaed's, having heard of his interactions with the aging professor, mentor to them both. Still, the Aos Si's a Member of Parliament now, and thus should be able to tolerate more than the light tease from a human citizen.

"We'll see to ensuring the safety of our guests, Lady Yvresse." He continued, speaking to Amisra now before the prideful Aos Si could give him an earful or a taste of that sword he always carried around him. "But bear in mind the Commonwealth's policy on this matter: this is Aos Si property, thus as far as the GKF and the Institute is concerned, our priorities here are to observe, research, and protect our own citizens and assets, including you and the other Aos Si Commonwealth citizens. Should the UES and its clergy wish us to stay our hand, we will comply unless you intervene."

16 Hours later

A white rover with orange stripes rolled up to the research outpost, docking to the airlock. As the entrance hissed open, six Aos Si revealed themselves in elegant, colorful robes of red and green, flight suits underneath, with the flag of the UES embroided on as a patch. One of them stood behind, carrying a large, bulky camera, no doubt transmitting the occassion live back down to their nation. Even further behind was a human, a caucasian, in a compartively simple flightsuit and a backpack.

A slightly older looking Aos Si, with a few wrinkles on his face and a few stands of silver hair, stepped forward with a slight bounce and a float, no doubt inexperienced in the lower gravity, but maintained his elegant demeanor nonetheless. He spoke in Erinun, greeting the humans with hand over fist, and a bow, but then turned to the Aos Si, his arms crisscrossing in front of his heart, his palms open and fingers together, speaking in Erinun again.

"Nihao." Another younger Aos Si stepped up from the side, his black hair tied in a bun behind his back, tan skin, like his compatriots, tall and lanky. He made similar greetings as the older Aos Si. "My name is Aithlin Trisqen, I will be the interpreter for our group. This is High Priest Nuvian." He spoke in Mandarin. "We'd like to thank the Commonwealth of the Dawn for the aid in uncovering our species' heritage. The United Erinun States and the Temple of Praui Nimloth believe this discovery will make great strides in reinforcing the friendship between our peoples."

Aithlin then turned to the Aos Si, "Greetings to you as well." Now, he spoke in Goedwish. "On behalf of all Aos Si-kind, I thank you for making this important discovery. Your efforts here will surely bring about the rebirth of our species, and earning us favor from the natural gods once again."

Bukang greeted back with his own gestures. "We are pleasured to take part in this historical occassion. May I ask," He eyed the human in the back, "Who is this friend of yours? I wasn't made aware of your additional party member."

The interpretter spoke in Erinun back to the High Priest, who tilted his head expectedly.

Aithlin replied back, "If their claims are true, they seem to have been favored, if only briefly, by the natural gods. His name is... Fei... ta. I'll just let them introduce themselves."

HarlequinActor

The human, short compared to the Aos’Si near them but the kind of person to insist they where average height. They have a very intense air about them, in that way in that you can’t be sure what their next action will be.

Hello, nice SEEING you all. I was, driving this craft and was invited along. How FUN is that?

God, even their smile is off putting. Despite trying very hard to be friendly, the human really didn’t have the skill for putting people off their guard.

I want you to call me Vita. It’s not my legal name but it is easier for us all if we use it

Last edited:

CadetNewb

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
Seeing Gwaed so contemplative made the faint smile on Amisra's lips all the more genuine.

"As planned, they have heard and have come. Though, this does tell us about their hearing, even just a little," the redhead noted, amused. They had picked up quickly, which in and of itself said something, her eyes drifting from Gwaed to Bukang and then Fioda. Intentional or not, such a gaze always felt like it lingered with intent.

When the time finally came though, Amisra made sure to have all her pieces in place, just in case.

"One should hope," the redheaded Aos'Si gently nodded, replying in her fathertongue, the reply as polite as it was cryptic. "I am indeed Amisra of Yvresse," she signified herself with a wave of a hand. "As a gesture of good will, we wished to share sight of our findings," she continued in mandarin, now ever so slightly tilting her head toward Vita, gracefully acknowledging that this courtesy extended to not just them, but the humans too. Or, perhaps it was a faint slight? Grouping them with the humans? It was difficult to tell. Her emerald gaze turned to Gwaed.

Gwaed, far less subtle in any way, looked at the elves and humans arrayed before them with obvious suspicion. Aos Si pride had been tempered with the understanding that sometimes the humans and their own kind were far too liable to be untrustworthy. Putting on a smile, more a mask than anything, he spoke to those assembled in the learned tongue of their oppressors. "Our findings," he said, pressure put on the Our, "are for the perusal of all our kind. May we all find some insight into the past, and insight into our futures." The new person, this human with an air of unpredictability, Gwaed took no time to consider. He had no time for potential threats, and a sword and a pistol would ensure a threat could be dealt with. He didn't bother looking at them. More important and more dangerous people were already present.

Foxen

Fioda felt it necessary, at least, to return the short bow with a fist over her chest. She had, after all, more or less caused their visit to happen in her own way. As far as the parties involved, she was actually slightly more inclined to the priesthood in front of her. Fioda remembered very little of the Aos Si ritualism that had pervaded her culture before the war, but the faded memory told her that at least a single arm over her chest was an appropriate gesture of greeting.

Of course, she was also the security detail, so she had armed herself appropriately. And they had exactly no way of knowing, whatsoever, that they were looking at a member of the Black House. Which was fine. It wasn't as though there were uniforms or badges or nice medals to wear, in the fight against the invaders who had stomped all over the history they were now uncovering - then picked up these two people she was guarding and stuffed them through a propaganda class or two.

She didn't introduce herself, in any case, only straightened afterwards and did her best to look professional, in her helmet and a more armored version of the pressure suit they had all worn after they had returned to the ruins. To this, she had added a black knee-length waist-cloth from a simple belt, flared around her thighs and open at the front, as a sort of personal and internal joke which had the benefit of looking muted, but formal. The bullpup she carried and slung at her side beneath her arm.

Last edited:

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
The High Priest spoke in his native tongue.

"Now that we've introduced ourselves. Let us get to the matter at hand. Needless to say, this newfound shrine is of great importance to the Temple of Praui Nimloth. Its existence demonstrates our ancestors' great favor from the natural gods, allowing them to construct such places of worship ever closer to the mother sun. We are to reestablish the sacredness of the site, provide it a holy name, then bring it under the Temple's protection." Aithlin translated into Mandarin.

"Well then, as per the Commonwealth's agreement with your people, this is your cultural heritage, thus we are prepared to acknowledge your religious right to the site." Bukang replied. He gestured to group over to a central table, displaying a holographic, 3D model of the ruins, showing all its underground infrastructure that earned wide eyes and murmurs amongst the Erinun Aos Si. "However, we've already made an agreement with Lady Yvresse and New Age Technologies, that they currently own the site legally, and that Yunwang Institute is granted first hand research. Should you have further desires, she is your point of contact. The Commonwealth will do its best to accommodate any new decisions made, and provide resources to see to success."

For the briefest moment, the High Priest knit his eyebrows, as Bukang stepped back, allowing the others to gather around the table to examine the structure.

Aithlin turned to Amisra and the other Goedwish Aos Si. "In that case, the Temple of Praui Nimloth formally requests relinquishment of control of this site, from you and your private institution." He spoke in Goedwish.

Bukang slid up to the side of Vita, whispering in their ear as the Aos Si talked amongst themselves in their tongue. "Vita, was it? I'm sorry, but this might go on for a bit. You were invited to witness the ruins, yes?"

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
"Honor to the Black House. See to the High Priest enter the ruins. The ritual must complete."

A terse message rolled across Fioda's HUD, visible only to her. It was a gibberish mess, a language that her electronics failed to represent, but that was par for the course, and it worked in her favor when it came to secrecy.

HarlequinActor

Vita nods, looking towards the Aos Si with eyes that seem to pierce the soul. They whisper back.

Yeeeeessss, N I C E to meet you. I don’t know much about this. But I am very good at watching things unfold into ribbons”

A shaky smile is shown to Bukang.

CadetNewb

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
There was a number of things Amisra could have said, but instead, she smiled for a moment. And then another moment.

"I will pretend I did not hear something horrifically embarrassing to all of Aos'Si kind," the redheaded CEO politely spoke, her words honey sweet Mandarin arrows aimed at the holy man. Even if it was through the interpreter, her gaze was pointed at him. "Now, as owner of this lunar establishment, I have invited your expertise to grant the privilege of studying the site alongside our own scholars," Amisra firmly stated, the smile still on her lips. "Naturally, what discoveries take place - such as the nature of this facility - will be shared amongst participants. Assuming you wish to participate?" Turning towards the less than confident Vita, she gestured to their 'guests'. "Should they agree to contribute as guests, you will find yourself surrounded by even more beautiful Aos'Si. Does the thought please you?" she asked, her gaze playfully turning on Gwaed.

He knew exactly what she was really saying to him of course. She glared daggers at him when they first hired Fioda, and this was no different.

Last edited:
When he had agreed to join this expedition he hasn’t realized just how much politicking would be involved. Perhaps the thrill of adventure blinded him, offering him an avenue of work that wasn’t built on paperwork and people who were fundamentally untrustworthy. Now, they worked to keep their hold over the site, and their opposition were those who had the religious clout to make a big problem in several areas. Not to mention the growing threat of espionage, which bothered him. Especially worse is that, depending on the skill of your hidden enemies, you wouldn’t know their intentions until it was too late.

And now, on top of all that, he had to find a diplomatic way to respond to Amisra. This was a formal meeting of two and a half powers, and she had to insert her personal desires into it via the only way she knew how: vague statements with three layers of meaning. She was perhaps the scariest of all. Not for fear of damage to his person or what she could do to him socially, but for fear of losing her again.

Wait, no, he hadn’t lost her, she had lost him! She knew who he was, how he worked on a personal level. By now he had hoped she would understand him, but the continuing century of borderline loneliness had been proof otherwise. Maybe she just didn’t care. Maybe she viewed him as yet another accolade in her belt, along with millions of monetary means and a position of power, only made possible through his continued work in the courts of public and private opinion to be seen as people. So yes, he was growing rather miffed at her ragging on him for living his life in a manner that didn’t involve her. So he’d play her game for but a moment longer.

“The thought is as it always was, for I am often surrounded by beautiful people. It’s the most magnificent faces with the most to hide, however, and beauty is not a prerequisite for kindness. Nor,” he gaze turned to Amisra, slowly, “a prerequisite for faithfulness based on looks alone. There would need to be more effort, than merely continuous half-said compliments.”

Foxen

Fioda just... stared.

Yes, she got the message. And no, it didn't look like she would have to work very hard to get the High Priest in where he needed to be - where they needed him to be. The orders weren't 'make sure they get the site', they were 'complete the ritual.' Whether or not they actually took control of the site, as long as Group A got to Point B, she was doing her job.

Rituals? It sounded like some sort of fantasy novel. That stuff didn't happen anymore.

Or maybe it did and she just didn't know about it.

Fioda looked again at the weird little human tagging along with the priesthood. Vita, frankly, creeped her out. But it stood to reason that somehow, some way, this ... thing? ... was going to be necessary to whatever ritual the delegation had come here to do. Fortunately, her attention could be hidden behind her helmet. Fortunately, Fioda didn't have to speak or act diplomatically; she just had to guard things in the general manner of someone who stood around and looked relatively menacing.

As long as the high priest agreed to share, anyway.

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
As Aithlin translated Amisra's and Gwaed's words back to the priests in Erinun, there were murmurs amongst them. The High Priest listened to his advisors, calmly watching over Amisra and Gwaed, like a patient bird of prey. The subtle Aos Si facial expressions were lost to the humans in the room, but to the Goedwish, the High Priest was clearly suppressing displeasure.

"Since it was our human friends who discovered this site, who put in the resources to excavate it and make it available to us, we're honor-bound to return the favor, and allow them to continue their studies, so long as important artifacts are not tampered with." Aithlin turned back to the Goedwish. "However, on behalf of all Aos Si kind, we ask you to refrain from the phrase, "owner". You are a custodian of this important historical and cultural monument of our people, as we all are. Perhaps we can put off the discussion of ownership for now, delaying it until we are back on solid earth, but Lady Yvresse, Sir Hewyllys."

The High Priest slightly knit his eyebrows as he continued to speak in Erinun, "This site does not belong to a corporation under a human nation's jurisdiction. Relinquishment of control to independent Aos Si nations that hold true to our traditions is not a matter of if, but when."

Surreptitiously, Bukang crossed his arms and commented to Vita. "I'm curious what they meant when they said you were favored by their gods. Could you tell me more about that?"

HarlequinActor

Oh I do not know much of it myself. I just have a P A S S I O N. For these sorts of old arcane mysteries. When I expressed it they offered I tag along.

Vita directs their single attention towards Bukang. Their pupils having compressed to barely a dot.

This seems like a N I C E expedition. Something to really stick your T E E T H in if you catch my drift…

it sounds innocent, and it’s meant as such, but the sharp canines and excessive stare of the human might give a confusing message.

CadetNewb

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
Despite the stern warning, Amisra continued to look on, a faint dry smile of amusement.

"I would recommend caution when tampering with forces beyond your understanding," the redheaded Aos'Si warned in turn. "There are things that even The Gods fear." Turning to the potential flight-risk of a human, she beckoned. "Come along, you'll see more of it yourself. If we are fortunate, there will be some substance to what you will see. But if not, then we can at least rule out just what they are speaking of." Amisra knew that those of religious persuasion said many things, but like those human-made clocks, were at least right twice a day.

And Gwaed knew the saying was actually “a broken clock was right twice a day,” which suited him in regards to his feelings on these cultists far more. He knew she couldn’t help but make the connection in her head, as it had occurred to him as well. These religious leaders suffered from hindsight bias, and some degree of haughty energy towards others. Then again, he mused with the slightest smile, so did Amisra.

He turned his attention to the human, a looming figure behind Amisra. His snap judgement was not positive, with only an inking of a hope that he was wrong. Still, there was nothing he could do until they tried something untoward, and so he merely waited to walk behind his redhead as they entered the treacherous temple.