• Nobles of Null is a forum based roleplay site where sci-fi and magic collide. Here, Earth remains fractured and divided despite humanity reaching out to the stars. Worse still, the trans-human slaves of one major power have escaped, only to establish their own Empire, seething with resentment at abuses of the past. Even the discovery of aliens, though medieval in development, has failed to rally these squabbling children of Earth together with its far darker implications. Worse still, is the discovery of the impossible - magic. Practiced by the alien locals, nearly depleted and therefore rare, its reality warping abilities remains abstract and distant to the general populace. All the while, unseen in the darkness of space, forces from without threaten to press in. For those with eyes opened by insight, it is clear that an era is about to end, and that a new age will dawn.

Chapter 2 & 3 Intermission 1: Innocent Aftermath

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Coauthored by Ikate Keda Studios, TheCountryWarrior

???? A.D., After Edith Dussault’s Interrogation

Aboard Daheim One

Juan had spent the entire length of time after the interrogation in his room, looking through his games and not feeling like doing anything. Mostly numb he had thumbed through his books, comic books, games, the two board games that are probably a century old. At some point he just decided to stare at the ceiling, and hope he fell asleep or just…. Magically got past it. He had to remind himself that it doesn’t work like that. He had settled on something mindless as he worried after Joan and wondering how the hell he got into this mess, when there came a knocking at the door.

The door opened, and the next thing Juan knew, he had been jumped by Jacob who was smiling. “Aye Juan! Ah ‘eard ya was back! Wanna shoot sum pirates er summing? Mum said ah could play wif mah gun if’n yer were round ta watch meh!” He said, smiling brightly as children often did.

Juan’s face bloomed into a smile, looking up from his bed to the kid. “Oh hell yeah bro, we gotta get you trained up! What are you feeling today, the demise of the Cabal of Piracy in Star Hunter 3, or we head down to the range?” He got up from his slump in the bed, and stretched out his arms with a grunt.

"Up ya ya," Jacob smiled. "Ya usually 'ave good ideas," he said, sitting on the bed properly. "Ah ovah 'eard da security guys saying you, Beatrix and mum fought in a club!" He said, excitement filling his voice. "And ya shot some guys from really far away!"

Juan chuckled warily, and shrugged. “More or less true, but we got the job done. I think we should head to the range, because I’ve got some pointers. You wanna meet me there?”

"Sure, ah'll go grab me stuff," Jacob said, bouncing off the bed and riding off with unlimited childish energy.

Juan sighed, and decided he would enjoy this time with the kid. This was why he fought, so these derpy children could live freely before adulthood. He grabbed his airsoft sidearm, took an encouraging deep breath and went to the range to meet the future super soldier.

It was a few minutes before Jacob joined Juan at the range with his stuff in tow. He set it down, then looked at Juan with a frown. "Are you alright?" He asked simply.

Juan smiled at Jacob, hoisting his weapon. “Thanks for noticing. I’m good, better now that I’ve got something to do. Let’s work on your aim a bit, yeah?”

Jacob's frown got a little larger at the answer, but he nodded. "Ya, ah guess," he said, picking up his gun and one of the magazines and looking at Juan. "So, what're ya gonna 'ave me do today?"

Juan stood in front of the lane, and looked down the way. “We’re going to work on aim first, and see if we can get you firing in a straight line this time.” He chuckled to himself, and stepped aside for the kid to step up.

Jacob did as he was told, lifting the gun, going through all of his steps one by one, before starting to fire. The two worked on Jacob's accuracy and endurance for a while, and while Jacob was paying attention he seemed distracted. When they were packing up, he stopped and looked at Juan. "How do you know when a girl is mad at you?" He asked, seeing his gun down.

Juan immediately looked like he knew what this was going to be about. “Take a seat, tell me about your girl troubles.”

Jacob Sat down, looking at the floor. "I unno. Ah went to grab my stuff, in mum was laying on the bed. Ah asked her if she wanted ta come along, and she just… rolled over and told me to 'ave fun…" he said looking at Juan. "Ah know mum usually only yells when something ah do scares her… but… I fink ah made a mistake a while ago…"

Juan sits across from him, and thinks it over. “She didn’t yell at you, but you think you’re in trouble? Why? What mistake do you think you made? Tell me all of it, I was a child for a sizable amount of time.”

Jacob looked really uncomfortable for a moment, thinking over everything he was about to try and put into words. "Bout a year ago, a bunch of mums work people came ovah to the 'ouse, and told us mum was in a bad way. Dey couldn't git a 'old of dad, in mum nevah talks bout 'er folks," he said, squirming in his seat a little. "Dey were telling me all dis stuff bout 'ow she might not make it, in they could try in help her but it would cost a bunch of money in it might just hurt her longer," he said, rubbing his eyes. "Obviously ah wanted dem ta 'elp 'er, but since she got 'ome she just seems really sad when she looks at me, in today was the first time ah felt she didn't want ta see me," he whimpered. "Ah just wanna know what I did wrong…"

Juan looked over the boy, his eyes holding a deep sadness. He smiled though, as adults do for kids, and leaned forward. “First off, she loves you from the bottom of her heart. Second, I appreciate the fact that you trust me enough to tell me this. Second part 2, do not tell people this. It’s fine now, and I think you’re smart enough to know it, but I’m reminding you, you don’t go around telling people your mother’s past. Third, your mother is not mad at you, I’m gonna tell you a secret.” He leans closer. “She might be mad at herself. I can’t tell you why, I hate saying it, but you might know when you’re older. So when you get home, you give her a big hug, tell her you love her, and remember that she will love you forever.”

Jacob looked at Juan. "Are ya sure?" He asked. "Cause sometimes I fink ah made da wrong choice…"

“Hermano, that’s part of living. You’re gonna make mistakes, you may do something immensely stupid, but you can always rise above it. Your mother may get mad, but she will always love. I promise, she is not mad at you in the slightest.”

Jacob nodded, looking at his stuff, then at Juan. “Would ya mind keeping mah stuff wif ya fer a bit?” He asked, standing up. “Ah’ve got somefing I need to go do.”

Juan nodded, slightly confused. “Alright. You want me to stay here?”

“Na, ah kin find ya later!” Jacob said, running off down the halls, leaving Juan alone, again, in the range.

Juan had only the chance to shout “Good luck!”, before the child was gone from sight. He took the stuff, and walked back to his room, feeling way over armed for a walk to his room. He placed Jacob’s weapon on the table, positioned like an object of high worth, and laid back in his bed, expecting the kid back eventually. The kid did not come back. He had thought about seeking him out, but kids are kids, Jacob will remember eventually.

He went to his usual hangout, the bar, a little to keep on his hunt for a great personal drink combination, but almost entirely because he was bored and needed a semblance of social activity. Sitting at the bar, he sipped at a new concoction, and shook his head. “Nope, nope, that’s probably poison.”

“Poisonin yerself?” Joan asked, taking a seat next to Juan, reaching over to take the glass from him. “May I?”

Juan looked to her, and smiled. “Suicide pact? Only if I get magic powers in the afterlife.” He chuckles to himself. “Bad joke, no I was trying to invent a new drink. It’s shit.” He hands it over.

Joan took a sip, her face screwing up a little as she swallowed, coughing shortly after. “Oh god! ‘Ow did ya fink dat up?” She asked, setting the cup in front of him and shaking her head again. “Ah’ll stick tah beer,” She said, walking over to the bar and buying a bottle of the german beer the Grau’s kept on board, as well as a cup, and sitting back down with Juan. “Simplah, no finking involved,” She said, pouring herself a glass and offering the bottle over to Juan.

He takes the bottle and pours himself a new drink. “Yeah, I was just trying something new. This time, would have been better to chug engine grease. I hope you don’t mind me asking, what brings you to the bar, unless of course the answer is because it’s a bar. That would make sense.”

Last edited:

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
“Ah went to yer room first,” Joan said, keeping her eyes forward as she drank. “Ya bin spendin lot more time wif Jacob den I fought ya would tah be perfectly honest wif ya,” She explained, setting her drink down, looking at it. “Next fing I know, he come back aftah spending a few hours wif ya, none o’ ‘his stuff, and jumps intah bed wif me. Ah couldn’t undahstand most o’ what ‘e said, but ‘e finished wif da fact ‘e loved me, and wouldn’t talk much more, or let me go,” She said, finally looking at Juan. “What happened?”

Juan sighed, and leaned back. “Jacob came over to hang out, as hermanos do, and we decided some target practice would be fun. So we practiced, and he’s getting much better, and when we were packing up to head out, he asked me why you might be mad at him. So we sat down and talked about it. He misinterpreted the… aftermath of today for you being upset with him. I told him he was wrong, that you weren’t mad at all.” He looked down and took a drink, not wanting to look her out of a slight apprehension of being either smacked or yelled at. “I know it wasn’t my business, but I said you were probably mad at yourself, not him. I told him he can help, by making sure you knew he loved you, because parents need to know their love is reciprocated. I might have been out of line, but he said he had something to do and I guess he ran to you.”

“ ‘ardly been round fer a monf, talkin fer a couple weeks,” Joan said, quickly finishing her beer, starting to pour herself another one. “In ‘es talkin ta ya more den ‘e ‘as me in a year,” She said, not looking mad. “It’s good. ‘E needs someone tah talk tah. In as ‘ard it is tah say, ah dun wantcha tellin me none of it, less you finks ah absolutely needs tah know. Got it?” She asked, taking another drink.

Juan looked uncomfortable, but pushed through it. “He said a lot. In very few breaths actually. I already lightly told him off on it, but he talked a bit about something from a time ago, where he thought you were going to die. I… expect a smack or worse for asking, and I can’t hold it against you but,” he pointed to her stomach. “was that what that is?”

“No smack,” Joan said, lifting her cup and downing the contents quickly. “More beer, den ah’ll be able tah tell da story,” She said, getting up again and grabbing two bottles this time. “Den at leas’ anyfing stupid ah do while tellin it, can be blamed on dah alcohol,” She said, pouring herself another glass and sitting back down.

She was silent for a couple minutes working up to the story slowly. “Yes,” She finally said, finishing her third drink and this time waiting to refill. “Dat’s wha ‘es talkin about. We was on a mission, guarding a shipment dat were s’posed tah git to da Daqin. Fings went souf,” She said, looking at the table for a long moment, grabbing the bottle again. “Ya evah see one o dem chongwu fings?”

Juan thought back, aside from sporadic appearances in adult entertainment, he couldn’t say he had. “Not in person, but I hear they’re superhuman. Oh god so that’s what happened?”

“Dey ‘ave different kinds,” She said, but she nodded her head. “Yes, das wha ‘appened. Ship was borded, in we repelled dem, but dey ‘ad some nasty fakking dogs, in, well, our armour don’t protect our stomachs very well,” She said with a sigh. “In dey ‘ave… Jesus… Jus say, ah’m very fraid oh dogs right now,” She shuddered, taking another drink. She was going pretty fast.
Juan reached to her, but drew his hand back. “Maybe not too hard on the booze? Just a suggestion though. I’m sorry to bring it up, that’s… that sounds like an absolutely shit situation. What…” he sighed, and looked at her somberly. “What happened next? You survived obviously, but it was bad enough to scare Jacob to the core.”

“Juan, first, if you evah ‘esitate tah touch me,” She said, looking at him. “Ah will do somefing dat will make what ya were bout tah do seem small,” She said, leaning back, quickly grabbing the bartop to steady herself. “Secund, ah wantcha ta imagine somefing fer me. Yer layin on dah ground, awake, and ya kin feel somefing moving around inside ya, and ya kin ‘ear da wet chompin. A company felt bad, offahed tah fix me fer a reduced price, as a fank ya fer keepin dere stuff safe,” She said, looking at Juan. “E’ryfing below me bellybutton is Daqin bionetics. Dey say perfect in e’ry way. Inside ah leas’. All mos’ly works too,” She shrugged, sipping on her glass.

Juan leaned over the bar, and didn’t speak. He had no idea what to say. He started by correcting her. “Actually I was going to take the bottle away from you, but you’re a big girl, you can limit yourself.” He stuttered a bit, but chuckled. “Second, I don’t know if that was a come on or a threat, but I’m leaning both.” His chuckles died down, and he sighed, firing a bashful smile at her, not able to tap into the Spaniard at that moment. “I’m glad you’re still with us.”

Joan looked at Juan for a long moment. “ ‘ave ah managed tah make da Spaniard blush?” She asked, swaying slightly and then starting to giggle. “Ah mean, ah knew you more den appreciated mah outfit at da club, but dat jus’ made me fink nofing ah could do would make ya fumble,” She said, giggling some more.

Juan’s smile faded, and he stood up. “You’re gettin tipsy Cowboy, I think you need to head home. I don’t want to be responsible for any terrible decisions.”

Joan frowned, looking at Juan for a moment. “Wh…” She started, her brow furrowing. “Ah… Hope ah didn’t offend or nuffin. Wha ‘errible decision do ya fink ah might make?” She asked, looking up at him.

“I have no idea, and in my experience it’s best to quit while you’re ahead.” Juan leaned down, thinking to himself before sitting back down. “Unless you plan on staying, then I’ll stay too. I’m just saying. You’re getting all giggly. It’s cute, but it’s a sign.”

“You fink ah’m cute?!” Joan asked, perking right up and looking at Juan. “So ya weren’t lying at da shop?!” She asked, getting this strange mix of angry and curious on her face.

Juan chuckled bashfully, and shrugged. “Yeah, you’re cute. I... really don’t know how else to put it. But you’re drunk right now, or well on the way, so saying things here isn’t the best solution.”

“Cause ah won’t remember dem?” Joan asked, tilting her head.
“Because anything you say back will be emotionally or drunkenly charged. I’ve been down this road before.”

Joan looked at him, then leaned forward, placing both her hands on Juan’s legs. “Emotionally, or drunkely charged eh?” She asked with a smile. “So what if ah said ah wanted tah find a closet, hmm?” She asked, leaning as close as she could. “Take yer turn dat a fink ya wanted in da ‘allway,” She whispered softly.

Juan chuckled, and took her hands, gently settling them on the table. “And I would have to say no, because you are not in your right mind. I am flattered, and appreciative, but for all my sexual energy, I’m not an animal.”

“Well,” Joan said, standing up and letting out an exaggerated sigh. “Guess ah’m gonna ‘ave ta find one tah deal wif it meself,” She said, starting to stuble off. “Can’t exactly crawl inta bed wif my kids like dis,” She smiled, stumbling into a table but catching herself. “But where too… Ah know,” She said, walking out the door.

Juan watched her leave, looked back to his drink, and sighed. “You… cunning drunkard.” He stood up and followed her, worry edging his voice. “Joan, where are you going?”

“Ah dun know anymore!” Joans voice came from down a hallway. “I fink it’s been too long since ah last drank… Is ‘ard ta stand up,” She said. When Juan found her, she was sitting on the floor against a wall with her eyes closed. “Ah gots a lot of funny feelings goin on,” She said, lazily looking up at Juan. “But… Is stupid…” She frowned.

Juan sat next to her with a grunt. “You’re not stupid. You’re just drunk. Happens through the whole galaxy.”

“Am I an ‘ore?” Joan suddenly asked, seeming to perk up a bit. “Ah mean, ah was just askin ya ta sleep wif me,” She said with a frown. “But ah just dun wanna sleep alone. Am ah an ‘ore fer thinking is okay ta ‘ave sex wif someone, just tah not sleep alone?” She asked, looking as if she was trying to puzzle this one out.

Juan had nothing to say for a bit, staring at the opposite wall. “I would say no. A whore does it for money. A slut enjoys it too much. I think you’re just lonely. It’s not my place to say, but that sounds like you just need some physical closeness. Not sex, just to be near someone for the night. I know the feeling. You’re not a whore.”

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
He looked down, to see Joan had slumped over to rest her head on his shoulder, and could hear her snoring softly. She had passed out. Then again, four drinks in less than a half hour could probably put down a horse.

Juan smiled down at her, and sighed. “You’re the same size as me, but with extra pounds to your chest. How the hell will I get you home?” He sat there, leaning his head on her hers, and waited. After like 20 minutes, he felt a surge of determination, and stood up. He very carefully picked her up, and carried her down the hall. “Oh shit, my room or yours? You can get more privacy in mine, but your kids might spend forever wondering where you are. Mine is closer, but putting you in yours seems less weird.”

Joan grumbled, rubbing her face into Juan’s neck. “Yer room sounds fine,” She whispered, uncaring for the moment.

“Hush you, you’re drunk.” He chuckles.

“In yer a gentleman,” Joan drunkenly shot back. “Ah’m sure ya kin ‘andle meh wifout takin advantage o’me. So unless ya want da kids ta wake up in wonder why yer dere,” She asked, looking up at him. “Ah’ll let ya explain it.”

“Alright geez, I was gonna agree anyway. You’re very manipulative when you’re half asleep.” He fake scolded her, chuckling again as he began to haul her to his room, not really wanting to be seen as he hauls her down the hallway.

Juan carried Joan to his room, and set her down on his bed. “You are immensely heavy.” He sat next to her, and took a breath with a joking smile. “Mostly towards the upper end. But luckily I am strong as hell. You are welcome.”

Joan looked at Juan, before sitting up. “Ah ‘ope yer not all… shy in stuff,” She said, looking him in the eye. “Cause ah’m not sleepin in dis bloody jumpsuit,” She shrugged, starting to unzip it without really waiting for Juan to reply.

Juan chuckled in surprise, and looked at the ground, not shyly, but somewhat shyly. “Only at the start. Get comfortable, mi casa is a place of relaxation.” He looked back at her and laughed. “I’ve seen you in much less to be fair.”

He heard Joan drop the jumpsuit, but was suddenly pushed back onto the bed “Now ah’ve ya?” She asked, tilting her head. He was wrong, and he had actually not seen her wearing less, as she crawled over him and laid down in the bed. “Ah’ve ya been peeping on meh in da showah er somefing?” She asked, cuddling up to him and relaxing into the bed.

Juan stared up at the ceiling, not looking at her. “I have never done that, nor will I. I… honestly thought there would be more under there. My bad.”

“So did I” Joan said with a shrug. “Oh well, too late.” She added, before looking up at him. “Can ya at leas’ take off yer shirt? Ah want da ‘Spaniard’ experience,” She giggled.

Juan sighed. “Dammit I was wondering if you’d say that. I usually sleep with my shirt off because I like the air, but I was going to hold off on that because of the present company. I still should hold off. You’re drunk. You’re not thinking straight. The shirt stays on, and you need to sleep.”

“Not like ah’m askin ya ta take off yer pants!” Joan whined, her face now booze-flushed as she tried to lift his shirt up.

He snagged her arm, and scowled down at her. “Go to sleep. Do not make me parent you, who should know better. I will feel bad later, and i don’t want to deal with that.”

“Sorry…” Joan muttered, dejected.

Juan sighed, and threw an arm around her. “Go to sleep, and you can be surprised at yourself in the morni-” He cut himself off when he looked down to her sleeping body. He smiled, and held her. “Rest now, you’re not alone for now.” Sighing, he found himself falling asleep. “I’m sure you’ll hit me tomorrow.”

~~~~~~

Joan stirred awake, groaning a little as she rubbed her face. Her head was pounding, and the last thing she really remembered was talking to Juan at the bar. She didn’t want to wake up, and so she buried her face into her pillow to try and force herself back to sleep. Though, she found it strange her pillow was breathing... She sighed, opening her eyes and looking up to see Juan next to her. She stared for a moment, before it clicked.

“Oh my god!” She shouted, pushing away from Juan quickly. So quickly in fact, she fell off the bed, landing in a heap on the floor with a thud and a yelp. “Oh god, oh god,” She said, standing up, looking at the man. “Ah did not…” She said, looking down at herself and gasping, pulling the blanket up to cover herself, looking at Juan again. “We did not!”

Juan woke up with the sudden movement, the years in the military having taught him sleep was a luxury and not useful when things were happening. He jolted up and looked around, and then his eyes settled on Joan. Just as he had worried, she seemed on edge, to put it mildly. He sighed, and laid back down on the bed. “No, nothing happened. You tried a little, but nothing happened.”

Joan sighed a little in relief. “Oh fank goodness,” She said, before she froze up. “Not dat ah wouldn’t, ah mean, I wouldn’t mind if, ya know, just,” She started stammering. “Yer attractive in all, but yer my teammate, but Jaco-” She froze again, lowering a little “Ah’m gonna shut my mouf now…”

Juan couldn’t help but smile at her, and sighed. “Yeah I know. You are cute. Jumpsuit is to your left, the shower can work as a curtain. Anytime Cowboy, you’re welcome here.” He sat up on the bed and stretched, grunting. “Wow, am not used to sleeping next to people. Can’t say it sucked though.”

Joan had already started grabbing her jumpsuit as he was talking, hurrying into the shower and doing exactly as he suggested, reappearing again shortly after with a beet red face. “Ah’m really sorry…” She said, avoiding eye contact. “Ah dun drink of’en, and ah probably did some really stupid fings. Ah ‘ope ya don’t fink less o’ me fer it…” She said, awkwardly standing there.

He stood up and shook his head. “Not at all, not in the slightest. It happens a lot in this line of work, which... is sad now that I say it. You were cute.”

If her face could get any redder, Juan could tell it would have as she nodded. “Uh… If we could jus… Keep dis to ourselves?” She asked. “Ah dun want people tah git da wrong idea and fink ah’m… Ya know… Uh…” She said, looking around. “Ah dun want people ta fink ah’m a bad rolemodel or nuffin…”

Juan shook his head in affirmation, smiling. “Bad role model? Nonsense! I will not say anything, ever, I will be gunned down while fighting terrorists in a skyscraper before I tell anyo-.”

“Fank you so much!” Joan said, cutting him off rocking back and forth as if thinking about doing something, before starting towards the door. “Ah owe ya one Juan,” She said, walking out the door and almost running straight into Beatrix, a look of mortification crossing her face.

“Oh, hey,” Bee said, smiling as she took a sip from her smoothie. “Did you guys have a good night's sleep? Thought you’d have made more noise.”

Juan stared at the sight, sighing slowly. “Ay. Ay ay ay.”

“This…” Joan started, caught like a deer in the headlights. “This ain’t what it looks like…” She said, looking at Juan. “Tell her!”

“Why’d you ask him to take off his shirt then?” Bee asked, looking confused. “Could of sworn that would have led to something.”

Joan covered her face with both her hands. “Oh my god I fink I’m gonna die…” She groaned.

Juan looked at the ground, and crossed his arms. “Nothing happened, she was a little tipsy, and she didn’t want to wake the kids, so she used my bed. Nothing untoward happened.”

Beatrix frowned at that. “You mean I waited out here for an hour for nothing?” she asked with a sigh. “And I thought the ship had successfully sailed.”
“If ya were looking fer a walk o’ shame,” Joan groaned into her hands, before looking at Juan quickly. “Ah mean, not dat it,” She said spinning to look at Beatrix, “Ah mean not like…” She started again, realizing the hole she was digging, giving a frustrated groan and just walking away with her hands over her face.

Bee rolled her eyes. “I just wanted to confirm if my OTP had sailed or not. You guys’d be cute together,” she said, before chugging the rest of her smoothie.

Juan sighed, and looked at Bee. “Show’s over Bee, nothing to see here. I have to take a shower.” He slid the door shut, and bonked his head against it in frustration. “That went well.” Juan locked the door and took a shower, playing the whole event over and over again in his head.

End.