• Nobles of Null is a forum based roleplay site where sci-fi and magic collide. Here, Earth remains fractured and divided despite humanity reaching out to the stars. Worse still, the trans-human slaves of one major power have escaped, only to establish their own Empire, seething with resentment at abuses of the past. Even the discovery of aliens, though medieval in development, has failed to rally these squabbling children of Earth together with its far darker implications. Worse still, is the discovery of the impossible - magic. Practiced by the alien locals, nearly depleted and therefore rare, its reality warping abilities remains abstract and distant to the general populace. All the while, unseen in the darkness of space, forces from without threaten to press in. For those with eyes opened by insight, it is clear that an era is about to end, and that a new age will dawn.

Intermission 2: Shade in the Night

Acewing13

GM
Wiki Moderator
The French on the signs were no problem for the black cat that wandered stiffly through the streets of the Brussels Arcology. There were too many people about, even at the late hour that was her preffered time to be places. After dusk, when the air felt cooler and the stars spanned forever across the skies. Entering the building, with some amount of trepidation, she was now in a room with annoying lighting and far too many moving humanoids for her taste.

She stood there, unknowingly seeming more awkward than if she'd taken a seat somewhere. Already she stood out, a black cat in a bright room wearing a skintight black bodysuit. Along the arms were slick interfaces with screens, and on her head between her ears was a mask with inset goggles. Her eyes were narrow, the light unkind to her, reddish coloring peeking through her uncomfortable gaze.

And so she just stood there, waiting to be spoken to. This is where she was told to go for a real challenge, and for the money to afford what she needed to empower her craft.

Looking up from his work, the desk officer finally noticed the Chongwu and blinked. "Oh, sorry, didn't hear you come in," he said, looking through his notes before asking, "Are you...Fel Shade?"

Her gaze locked onto the man, intense and unblinking. Suddenly realizing this was probably unwanted, she blinked for his sake and walked closer. "Yes, that is my name, " she said, a soft German accent tinting her words. "Are you... of what importance are you?"

"Not much, just make sure people get where they need to go," the desk officer said with a chuckle. "Since you are Fel Shade, I'm gonna take you back to Captain Simmons."

"I thank you," she said softly, waiting for him to stand up. "You are of importance. Even if it is not apparent." She'd learned a long time ago that everyone was important. Or more accurately, that's what she'd been told to think by her friends back on Hawking. He seemed like he needed some encouragement.

"I'm never sure how I'm supposed to take that kind of talk from a Chongwu," he replied, tapping a button. "Not that I think you're lying, just...you know, hope there's more free thought behind those words than programmed responses." As he talked a droning noise was audible in the ceiling for a few moments, before it ended and the officer's computer beeped.

"Alright, yep, nothing except for your cybernetic implants," he continued, locking his computer and standing up. "Let's get going, follow me."

"My programming is entirely up to me now." She said with a low, slightly offended huff that she tried to mask. "I hope yours is as well."

"Fair enough," the desk officer said, shrugging as he led her into the office.Walking back, Fel could see a number of officers working on their computers, some in cubicles, others in more open floor plans or having discussions in [roughened?] glass rooms. Going to one of the last rooms, the officer tapped a dark plate next to the door.

"What is wanted?" came a female voice through the plate.

"Fel Shade to see you, Captain," the desk officer said.

"Thank you, let her in," the plate said, before an audible click unlocked the door.

"Good luck," the officer said, pressing on the door to open it for the Chongwu.

"Thank you for your well wishes," she said with no hint of sarcasm, "but luck is the tool of the unskilled." She entered the room, red eyes scanning the room quickly for her newest benefactor.

Captain Beatrix Simmons sat behind a large, black glass desk, with a computer terminal sitting on one side and various papers and coffee cups scattered across the rest of it. "Evening," she said, looking up from the terminal with a smile. "Please, sit," she added, pointing to a chair that sat kitty corner from where she sat. "Just signing out of a few things and then I'll be ready to talk."

Fel looked to the seat offered and sat down, sitting there stiffly. Unnaturally still, she waited, watching Captain Beatrix as she worked, blinking only twice over the next few minutes. As told, she remained quiet until the Captain was ready to talk, instead letting a thick silence hang over the room.

"Good to know you'll be good on stealth missions," Beatrix said, looking over at Fel. "Thanks for waiting. And glad I don't have to intro a new agent while gearing up. So, what brings you to Interpol? Looking at your resume and some other notes, you could of been set for a post-singularity paradise at Hawking and be a great asset for the independence movement."

Fel shifted uncomfortably in her seat, eyes locked onto the Captains. "Such was the intention of my design, once. To be the puppet of humans who feared technology's eternal rise. So, via technology, via what they feared, they thought themselves wise for uploading themselves into a large server bank in an attempt to appeal to machine overlords that never came."

She tilted her head, ever so slightly. "I have improved on their false ideas. I spent much time with the freedfolk of my kind, learning my trade. But they do not need me anymore. Their work is done in that land. I am not fit for humanitarian diplomacy with old men and other such fools. My mentor taught me that there is far more important work to be done, and I have come to do it. You have read of me. How much am I expected to explain? The clerical work is done."

"I like to hear it from you over reading it in a report," the Captain said, looking back at the computer as she typed. "Like your excellent turn of phrase was not in here, but is a good thing for a superior officer to know."

"Either way, let's go over your capabilities," she continued, looking back at Fel. "What do your improvements do?"

"I interface with machines as if one." She said carefully. "With a few seconds I can cause the cameras of this building to feed me into the rest of the machines, all the ones connected to the camera system. From there I become as though a spirit, and I own the system until I deign to leave it."

An ear flickered uncomfortably. "Without... being as dramatic, I can spead my sight throughout all available cameras. I have sometimes used drones as my avatars of will, however... my drone was confiscated on the shuttle for illegal modifications. Which sounds..." stifling a growl she stated with finality. "Well, it sounds like saying a tattoo is illegal. Or... a set of clothes. In my personal opinion, this is foolishness."

"Guess if you count a set of clothes as a force multiplier," Beatrix said to herself, typing more notes. "Send me what shuttle service that was and I'll get them brought over. Perks of being in law enforcement. Besides that, any prefered call sign?"

With a blink, she caught herself watching the Captain's movements, her face, suspicious for a moment. "You are... too kind." She blinked again, shifting in her seat. "I prefer Shade. Because of the darkness." She nodded to herself, assuring herself of her choice. "How many others are in your number? I appears as though there are many people here. How many are important to me?"

Acewing13

GM
Wiki Moderator
"Depends by what you mean by important," Beatrix said, tapping away on the computer. "We got thirty agents at the moment, but you'll mainly be working with me and 2-3 other agents, including another Chongwu. Do you have any weapon skills, Shade?"

"It was one of the things I was taught, when joining the underground. They called it a necessity." She shrugged slowly. "However, if I've done my job well I will not be in danger. I can shoot a handgun, though I am not a... cowboy." She said with a small smile. "Nor am I a 'crack shot' as it were." Blinking, she tilted her head the other way. "But... I am good with blades. Elegant. I don't have any, though. Unsporting, I've found, to bring weapons to a government facility."

"Yeah, the desk officer wouldn't have been happy," the Captain said with a chuckle, before turning the computer screen and moving the keyboard. "Alright, just sign there and we'll be good to go. Then we'll go to the firing range and see how you do."

Fel signed as instructed, eyes taking in the entirety of this demonic contract in front of her. Pages of legalese backed by centuries of loppholes and lies, and lines of dialogue in a hundred courtrooms. And she signed it. "Is that necessary? Firearms are loud, cumbersome."

"It's better that you have the ability to defend yourself in meatspace as well as cyberspace," Beatrix said with a shrug. "Only have one shieldbearer on the squad and I'd rather be putting him on the frontline instead of stuck making sure you don't get shot."

"Fine," she conceeded. "They are adequate then, even if all I need is a way in to start attacking their systems. I am not deisnged for a full combat, I have designed myself to be a Shade. But we will shoot guns now." She stood up, eyes still on the Captain's as she waited.

"Alright," Beatrix replied, locking the computer and getting up as well. "Follow me, Corporal Shade." Walking around the Chongwu, she led the way out of the office and into the armory. "Pick whatever strikes your fancy," she said, waving her hand at a wall of guns.

Fel's eyes widened at the amount of guns hanging on a wall, standing there for a full minute as she took in the sight. "I... I do not know which one is best." She picked a random sidearm, a pistol that seemed sleek and small. She held it with the grip of someone not used to such weapons, and looked to the Captain. "I suppose bullets mostly just kill you, regardless of weapon size."

"Yep, though that's a decent enough size to keep people at bay," Beatrix said, a small smile on her lips as she took the Chongwu's hands in hers. "You'll want to hold it like this though," she added, adjusting her grip so the gun wouldn't jump out of her hands when she fired. "It's a MAG-21 by the way. I'll have to look up the instructions, but I think you'll be able to tap into it's aim assist with your cybernetics."

As the Captain touched her hands, Fel's entire body except her hands began to curve away from being touched, but she kept her hands steady. She aimed with the weapon, a low uncomfortable growl until she was released from her prison. She opened her hand and connected her cyber to it, seeing a display over her eyes as she pulled her mask down over her face, goggles completing the look. "Yes, it was easy. This weapon... jives with my aesthetic. An accomplishment I would not have suspected." She was still bent away from the Captain, but Fel herself didn't seem to notice.

"Indeed," Beatrix replied, after letting go of the cat-type's hands. "That's Magnetic Assembly manufacture for you. Sorry if I made you uncomfortable."

"Oh I am just..." her body reverted to a regular standing position. "It is..." she lowed the weapon, eyes looking down. "Yes, the Assembly often fits my... aesthetic. I will need a holster of some sort to carry it, which I will handle on my own. It must fit with my vibe." She practiced the grip again, before she held it to her side. "Is this... mine now?" She asked, looking at the Captain with a tilted head.

"It can be if you want it," Beatrix replied with a nod. "Just need to sign it out. There's some holsters right there, but I don't know if they fit your vibe." She went over and picked out a S-1911 and grabbed ammo for both of them. "Come on, let's get you used to it," she added, heading towards a staircase that lead down into a firing range.

Fel followed the Captain, feeling the weapon in her hand. "Will there be something for my ears? I would prefer to retain my hearing for as long as possible. Hence my general distaste for firearms. I am a cat," she states matter-of-factly.

"Earplugs and headsets on that wall," Beatrix said, pointing at small boxes, labeled for human and Chongwu use. "We'll get you a more permanent headset in a couple of days, but for now, use those." She opened a pocket and pulled out her own headset, setting them on her head. "In the field, it'll link you to other people's headsets as well, guess that'll add another layer for you to explore with your cybernetics."

She picked out a temporary headset and put it on her head, looking slightly awkward with more space over her head than was typical as it rested on her ears. "This would be useful, if slightly ucomfortable. I will adjust the permanent headset to fit my needs. It is inevitable." She apprached the booth, MAG-21 in her hands, and gave a deep breath. "Technology, I am technology," she whispered, hyping herself up for her test. "You will all be glad for my presence," she declared, and raised the weapon.

"I'd load the weapon before trying to fire it," the Captain said, putting a box of 9mm magazines in the Chongwu's booth. "Good stance though."

Fel turned the pistol around and saw the empty magazine slot, and quickly her eyes shifted to the Captain with a hiss. "I knew that. I was... practicing my stance." She huffed, looked to the box, and loaded her weapon before she finally got to work practicing.

-------

"Alright," Beatrix said, handing Shade her a work datapad. "There's all the work stuff. Day to day schedule is fairly flexible, but if we're going to a mission, you'll be on call for any time of day. Do you have your living situation sorted out?"

She took the datapad, looking over the machine with a discerning eye. "How much modification is allowed to be made to this?" She asked, in regards to the pad. "It is subpar, in it's current state. All the better to communicate."

"As long as it works and doesn't send malware to the rest of the network, feel free," the Captain said, eyebrow raised. "Feel free to pull from your allowance if you need help setting things up."

She blinked slowly, a question on her mind."We get an allowance? Why? That is not your responsiblity, surely. I have literally done nothing for you yet, why would you give me money?"

"Cause besides training and emails, we're more of an on call work place, so you being available and comfortable while doing so is advantagous?" Beatrix said, with a shrug. "Not to mention European acommodations are usually more expensive than elsewhere, so it'd be kind of cruel to make you wait two weeks until you could get a decent bed."

"It seems odd to have both an allowance from a government organization, and a reoccuring payment as well." She looked to the wall, staring through it with a scowl on her feline face. "I will be quite fine on my own, lest this 'allowance' be needed for something greater. I will survive forever."

Acewing13

GM
Wiki Moderator
"Fair enough," the Captain said, chuckling at Fel's bravado. "See you tomorrow then?"

Fel nodded, no longer staring through the wall. "Yes. Will I be able to meet the others in our team? I wish to see who is important, soon."

"Yep, they left earlier, so just come in earlier and you can meet them," Beatrix replied with a nod. "Which reminds me, I need to go back and finish my paperwork for the night. Take care, alright?"

"I will do something like that." She gave an awkward bow, and turned around. She then turned back around. "Where will I go, when I come back tomorrow? Is there... some sort of lounge? An office?"

"There'll be workspaces you can pick from," the Captain said, pointing back at the branch office. "Once you settle in, you really only need to come in the office when mission briefings are going on, if working from home is better for you. Offices are usually set aside for higher ranks, but you can schedule the shared ones if you want privacy."

"Okay." She nodded, and since they'd already said farewell, just turned around again and left. She walked out through the entrance lobby, stopping to look to the man behind the desk. "Goodbye Desk-Man," she said with a deadpan face, before she kept leaving the building.

"See ya," he replied, not even looking up from his computer. "Stay safe."

"Maybe," she shrugged, as the doors closed behind her.

She walked into the chilly nght air and looked around. Goggles on, information moved over her vision like water, looking around. Each person was logged somewhere, somehow, their life detailed and tracked. She saw the logs, she saw their lives, and in that way she knew their weaknesses. However, she did not need to know their weaknesses. They were just people. It was just information she needed just in case. In this case, she moved through their accounts, skimming a couple tens from different people she passed, until she felt safe enough to stop.

Moving swiftly, her lithe form climbed a building, going higher and higher until she had a good view of the arcology, and specifically on the Interpol building. Perched above it, she sat on the side of the building, legs dangling off the side, and activated her new work pad. She checked the capabilities, found them lacking, and began to rewire it right there with the tools she kept with her.

She sent the name of the shuttle service to the Captain so she could get her pet drone back, and when she was satisfied with the changes she laid down against the wall of the skyscraper, took her goggles off, and stared at the stars until eventually she slept.