• Nobles of Null is a forum based roleplay site where sci-fi and magic collide. Here, Earth remains fractured and divided despite humanity reaching out to the stars. Worse still, the trans-human slaves of one major power have escaped, only to establish their own Empire, seething with resentment at abuses of the past. Even the discovery of aliens, though medieval in development, has failed to rally these squabbling children of Earth together with its far darker implications. Worse still, is the discovery of the impossible - magic. Practiced by the alien locals, nearly depleted and therefore rare, its reality warping abilities remains abstract and distant to the general populace. All the while, unseen in the darkness of space, forces from without threaten to press in. For those with eyes opened by insight, it is clear that an era is about to end, and that a new age will dawn.

Day in the Life: Rescue from the Depths

Uso

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
"How are we supposed to find the Merchant? Do we have a Merchant Detector? Or do we just ask around when we get there? She'll just show up when we get close right?" Jun asked, hoping that their target would know to just join their local network and chat in VR space when they get close by. "So... some kinda... signal-thingy? Maybe some Aoi-Si ears so we blend in?"

Jun's eyes went wide as she finally made the realization.

"OH! LOCAL FASHION?!" She finally asked, "What are the locals wearing this time of year?" Jun would start checking the weather reports for the planet to see if things would be warm or cold, and THEN started checking her social media feeds to see what people were wearing. One of the first things that showed up was something that Aoi Si students were wearing,

Elf.png

ugh... it'd be a shame to hide so much of my legs... and such old man loafers...color coordination is great though.

"Do Aoi-Si always dress to match their eye color?"

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Wen scoured the Daqinren Army's vehicle catalogue. Without access to the virtual space, he had to go the manual route and use a hand terminal, interacting with the rest of the team through typed text. He perused walkers, tanks, helicopters and rovers, scrolling past types that were too big, too small, or beyond a small team's ability to pilot and maintain.

"Here." He finally found something that fit their mission and sent it to Hoshiko. "A Type-40 战甲, Recon variant. Its armor is just thin composite steel, and only has a machine gun for its armament, but the internal space is large enough for long trips, it has a platform for a drone, the engine is quiet and easy to maintain, and, more importantly, it's available. I have a friend who's a mechanic in the army, and has been maintaining one. He can get us hooked up with it."

Soresu

Koyama waved a hand in the air as everyone spoke up, and then she looked to Wen and Hoshiko. "Medical supplies and rations?" With a shrug she went on, "If we need anything else it's not like we're lacking in money." And just when she got it back!

Uso

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
"Ground Transport? Is there going to be a lot of walking around? Are we going to have to travel like the Aoi Si do by riding some kinda animal?" Jun asked. "We'll need to decide between sensible boots for walking, or something with more of a wedge heel that'll be more suited for riding. We're NOT wearing tanker boots for the ride. They aren't as good looking as people seem to think they are plus they lack arch support which will be killer on our feet if we've got to walk around."

CadetNewb

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
Hoshiko coolly looked at Jun, her eyes ever so slightly narrowed. But she held her tongue, mostly, as the others spoke. The princess crossed her arms and settled for a deep breath and sigh as they sat aboard their ship's wardroom.

"You probably need to get out more Jun," Hoshiko began, standing up from her seat. "Wen's got a good pick of vehicle, and we can take any medical or food supplies from the ship and put it on refill," she nodded to her sister. "But first, let's go meet with the local governor." With that, the doors in the wardroom slid open with a Whoosh to reveal the hustle and bustle of a city beyond. People walked through the bright and cheerily lit streets, deliberately to converse and meet and carouse with one another in an Escherian labyrinth of concrete, paint, paper and neon lights.

For Wen though, he could only receive the text or audio of the conversation on his 3D fabricated handset or headpiece. He couldn't see it for himself. And Jun though? The text they could see through the one-way view seemed all fucked up. Like someone took Imperial script and messed around with it.

"Koyama and I are princesses, so we can skip the bureaucracy and go straight to the person," Hoshiko pointed out. "But see the text in the streets, windows and signs Jun? Hear me telling her Wen? That's Kanji."

Uso

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
"I tried that and we ended up having to hide out in a bar where I was on my feet all day wearing stripper heels! I'm not a tiger-type like you that's made for being able to balance and dance around." Jun said, hurt that Hoshiko would suggest there was something wrong with her!

"I'm getting boots with a sensible wedge though...

And I'm sure there's a download for translating the logographic Chinese characters taken from the Chinese script used in the writing of Japanese."
Jun said, trying to be clever but pretty clearly obviously reading the first search result that came up about Kanji...

Soresu

"Going straight to the person?" Koyama sniffed, "They may try to bog us down with red tape or excuses." That sniff had been for the Kanji as Hoshiko pointed it out to Jun. "At least it doesn't smell as bad as that human planet." The princess took a breath through her meatsack body's lungs.

In their shared virtual space, Koyama traced Kanji in the air, her fingertip alight as she did so. The words were in a vibrant blue that glowed faintly. It was her name, and for Jun's benefit, she translated it to Imperial Script. 'A Cold Night on a Small Mountain'. It was near enough of a translation. And something for Jun to work off of if she was attempting to 'learn' the language quickly.

She wore a flat look, almost devoid of emotion before waving her hand at the writing with a now visible eraser. It was gone soon after.

"That's just an example." her tail in the virtual and meatbag space swished violently from side to side once. "Good Princess, Bad Princess?" she asked Hoshiko. A poor play on the age-old human 'Good Cop, Bad Cop.' scenario that still seemed popular even centuries, perhaps millennia later if one included ancient humanity before even the radio or telegraph were invented.

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Hoshiko coolly looked at Jun, her eyes ever so slightly narrowed. But she held her tongue, mostly, as the others spoke. The princess crossed her arms and settled for a deep breath and sigh as they sat aboard their ship's wardroom.

"You probably need to get out more Jun," Hoshiko began, standing up from her seat. "Wen's got a good pick of vehicle, and we can take any medical or food supplies from the ship and put it on refill," she nodded to her sister. "But first, let's go meet with the local governor." With that, the doors in the wardroom slid open with a Whoosh to reveal the hustle and bustle of a city beyond. People walked through the bright and cheerily lit streets, deliberately to converse and meet and carouse with one another in an Escherian labyrinth of concrete, paint, paper and neon lights.

For Wen though, he could only receive the text or audio of the conversation on his 3D fabricated handset or headpiece. He couldn't see it for himself. And Jun though? The text they could see through the one-way view seemed all fucked up. Like someone took Imperial script and messed around with it.

"Koyama and I are princesses, so we can skip the bureaucracy and go straight to the person," Hoshiko pointed out. "But see the text in the streets, windows and signs Jun? Hear me telling her Wen? That's Kanji."
"Japanese Kanji? Here?" Wen shrugged. "I'm more surprised I haven't seen it in the station-cities, given that both you and Princess Koyama took up Japanese names. I thought it'd be more popular throughout the rest of the empire."

CadetNewb

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
Though Hoshiko's cheeks puffed with a pout, she quickly squelched the urge to retaliate against the milker in their party. There were more important things to address.

"The data packages for translation are easy, but I'm just giving fair warning," the tiger princess pointed out. Though she initially eyed Jun, she made sure to send a message to Wen that said,"To you and Jun specifically!" for good measure. "Even though the bulk of the empire is Qin, that bulk is only vaguely aware of the ethnic divides because we all live in space stations and the like." In their virtuality, she switched over to wearing Wafuku and stepped through the barrier separating their ship interior with the streets 'outside' it. "And Good Princess, Bad Princess works out, but the real issue is geting there." Pointing her silk sleeved arm up, Hoshiko guided their gaze towards the center of the city. Like a seed, it was planted there, and all other things sprung forth from it in time.

In both their vituality and reality, the starship loomed high above the city like a spire.

"Do we go in the front door? Get a hover cab to the bridge levels? Or maybe bribe the receptionist?" Hoshiko rubbed her chin. The princess glanced at Jun again.

Uso

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
In virtuality Jun sat down in a chair and started flipping through a book that was displaying the basics of local fashion. Wooden shoes that had stilt bits on them, 'basically bath robes' (which admittedly were kinda cute but hid far too much of her form), an entire set of office wear that seemed to have some kind more important meaning to the men than to the office environment, "OH! What about the sailor uniform? Or is that too cliche?" Jun asked as her floating virtual chair followed Hoshiko.

The more real version of Jun would end up walking like normal.

The more real version of Jun would also look up in surprise, "WAIT, You're a PRINCESS!"

She paused a bit again,

"I mean, You and Koyama... and I know you're both Princesses. But what I mean is that Princesses get announced don't they? They have their handmaids or whatever go in first and announce their arrival like, 'THE GRAND PRINCESSES KOYAMA AND THE GRAND PRINCESS HOSHIKO!' Maybe they throw some flowers or roll out a carpet or whatever and trumpets and stuff. The receptionists will HAVE to get the attention of the local governor. They'll grovel before you and apologize they had no idea you two were coming! Then they'll make it up to you by telling us where that merchant is. The plan is foolproof! We'll just need some people to be your..."

Now that Jun had talked enough, she finally put two and two together.

"... Fuck"

Jun slumped forward in her chair and searched for servant uniforms.

Then her eyes went wide!

"OH! What about this one? Or this?!" Jun said, posting various maid and servant uniforms,

1703180428756.jpeg

"They have see-through ones as well but they don't seem very princessy...

1703180373275.png

Maybe something a bit more tame so that You and Koyama can steal the show?"

1703180275917.jpeg

Last edited:

Soresu

Koyama pursed her lips in both virtual and meatspace as Jun continued... being Jun. "I can arrange for you to become a Rabbit," she finally offered the Cow enlarging the first maid's picture and flung it at the other woman. "I'm sure one of my brothers would love having a Rabbit-form wife. There are plenty that have maid fetishes."

Koyama's physical form shivered slightly once they crossed the threshold exiting their ship. The princess allowed herself an interested glance at the starship with her real eyes. Her avatar swayed its tail lazily. Hoshiko's counterpart was more of a political creature than a soldier. "I'm more interested in how they react to what we say and what we do. And how we go about it."

It was pretty much a blank check on which of those options they should select. "Any thoughts, Wen?"

Last edited:

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Wen mused. "I suppose we don't want too much attention just to get to the Governor's Palace. I see the noble title is a double edged blade now. You could mask your identity in virtual space, and wear plain clothes in real space. A Tiger-form and Dragon-form aren't uncommon, and the idea that two princesses would be simultaneously, casually out in public wouldn't cross people's minds."

CadetNewb

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
"Mmmngh....I guess I am a princess," Hoshiko huffed a grumbly reply to the cow. On seeing the ideas that Jun brought up though, she simply turned her nose up ever so slightly in royally haughty disgust. At least it wasn't as egregious as some examples of princess and servant outfits came. Though, some of her siblings and relatives absolutely relished that debauchery.

Koyama's own suggestion took the tigress by surprise, shooting her sister a satisfied smirk a the thought.

"Careful, making like rabbits is a fetish," she smugly warned. Despite this amusement though, she tampered down her glee at the thought as they shifted back to more serious thoughts. Standing outside their ship's virtual space, and inside that of the city's Hoshiko took in the sights. The walk or even quick-travel through the city would have been nice in their virtuality, but physically? They'd be stopped. Actually, maybe even stopped in the VR as well.

Glancing up at the Planetfall-Landing Cycle indicator floating above her head though, she got another idea.

"Okay, I got one. Get back inside everyone and suit up. We're going to hot drop on top of the colony ship and enter!" she proudly clenched a fist.

Uso

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
"We're not going into the station? But... What about getting new clothing? Servant outfits!... If we go down now we'll just have the armored bodysuits and I'll have to play the gruff warrior bodyguard type." Jun complained. She would have to give some thought to re-orienting her plan towards doing things on the surface of the planet, "That means guns though right? I'm not going to go down to a planet unarmed again. That that I minded a little bit of extra attention in that bar we had to work at while hiding during the war but honestly I think shooting Wen has awakened something in me. I mean, yeah haha violence is bad and all but can you imagine how long it would have taken to try and negotiate a ride on that human ship?" Jun thought out loud as she made her way towards the landing pods by way of the armory.

Soresu

Koyama took Wen's words with a grateful nod. "Please," she began a sneer forming in response to Hoshiko. But whatever follow-up she may've thought was coming never did. Her body in meatspace meanwhile went about preparations for her sister's little gatecrashing plan.

"What was the governor's name again? Slipped my mind what with all the whinging about maid outfits."

Her physical form stopped, her avatar doing the same albeit she now cupped her chin with a hand in thought. "Plus if we go in with weapons drawn there's no telling how many Dogs they may have. Possibly Tigers. Two Oxen, a Tiger, and a Dragon suddenly appearing and saying 'Hello' will freak them out enough as is. No need to start a shooting war with our people if we can help it."

Koyama sniffed, "No matter how much Mother wants that stuff, she would not appreciate shooting her citizens without just cause." She snapped her fingers as if she'd forgotten, "Plus, I would rather keep all of my holdings this time." In the end, it seemed like she only cared about keeping her stuff.

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
"This is madness." Wen replied with a text into the VR space, his confusion and frustration evident. He equipped himself with a pistol in real space, standing next to the bay door, getting ready to jump out. "I expected more subtlety from you nobility kind when meeting others of high importance, but we're barging in like we're about to arrest the Governor, when we're asking him for help in reality. If I die again, let it be known I was not at fault this time, Princesses."

Soresu

"Technically she outranks me from a military perspective, Wen." Koyama chided, then added with a squint of her eyes at where the burly Ox was viewing them in VR. "And she is the older of the two of us." Her grimace was evident then.

"But she's the crazy one. I'm the one who would rather not start shooting our people if it comes to it." In meatspace almost involuntarily her body threw its hands up in the air before flopping to their respective sides. Her chin tucked close to her chest in both the physical and virtual worlds as if she were ready to impale someone with her horns. It was a clear warning sign on her part. "I lost everything once because I butted into a military operation and took it over from the leader of said Op. Leveraging the fact I'm of noble birth. Went swimmingly until I got home and had to face the music." With a grunt, her avatar crossed its arms.

Uso

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
Jun was keeping her lips pressed together TIGHTLY

She knew her place as a non-princess, and it was not to criticize the choices of actual princesses. No way she'd try and take over something as a Princess! What would be the point! She'd already be a princess, so it'd be time to relax and enjoy the benefits of the position... Clout! Servants! Fancy parties!

Of course that wasn't the only thing she was tight lipped about.

She was totally ready to be the one to be at fault if Wen was to die. She got shot last time! Though perhaps that wasn't Wen's fault? Maybe she shouldn't have suggested that flashing the only guy in the group was good luck? Somehow Hoshiko's pressing her breasts against Wen's face left him brain-broken. Jun didn't understand the whole process of how exactly that happened but maybe she should have apologized to Hoshiko about it? OR! Maybe she should be teaching Hoshiko how to give a lap dance properly. Setting ground rules ahead of time was important.

"But taking drop pods in to a meeting is a real power move right? Its a great way of announcing ourselves to the Governor right?" The plan sounded fantastically over the top! Certainly this was how a princess was supposed to act?

CadetNewb

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
There was always an incongruity or disconnect between Virtuality and Reality, and at moments like this, it was all the greater. Outside their room in Virtuality, the city lay waiting for them to explore in all its paper lantern and neon lit excitement. But in Reality?

They were still descending through atmosphere.

"Yes, it's a power move. But we don't even need the pods, or guns," Hoshiko remarked, reaching out in meatspace to stop Jun from over-eagerly accessing the drop pods. Pulling the bovine back over by the horn, she pointed to the tactical display in their virtuality. "Since the huge spire in the middle of the city is actually a retired colony ship, we just need to pull up to one of its airlocks instead of landing at the spaceport. Or failing that, jump out onto the ship's hull and broadcast our ID Codes so they stay out of our way."

Even as the Tiger princess eagerly planned it all out in her head though, she couldn't help but blush a little, her ears wiggling at Koyama's recollection of...certain events.

"I'm sure mom was just being heavy handed," she half-muttered under her breath, embarrassed the Empress had intervened without even telling her. Clearing her throat, she regained her composure in the virtuality room. "And it's not madness, the governor's booked. Look!" Hoshiko pointed out, a virtual hologram of the appointment app popping up. Even in meatspace, she turned to Wen, forwarding him the details as she ushered the bull over to the airlock too. "This..." the princess squinted, "Bāo Shuǎng (包爽) ?" Hoshiko couldn't help but pause at the name, blinking a few times in disbelief before picking up her beat again, "He's got this whole day, to this one appointment! Can you believe that?"

The spacecraft rocked in meatspace as it changed course more aggressively.

"So, I don't think this is Madness," she looked at Wen in the eye, her visor transparent. "This is Da Qin!"
"So, I don't think this is Madness," she looked at Wen in the eye, her visor transparent. "This is Da Qin!"

The princess kicked him clean out the airlock.

Uso

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
"hey HEY HEY WATCH IT THOSE ARE SENSITIVE!" Jun panicked, falling to her knees as her horns were grabbed, her head being yanked along like it was luggage. She ended up having to keep close enough to Hoshiko that she didn't get COMPLETELY yanked about, stumbling about and missing most of what she said about uh... Bao Shuang? Appointments?

and then she saw Hoshiko kick Wen out of the airlock.

Oh fuck...

"I should have flashed Hoshiko before the mission... Its bad luck not to! This is proof! She just killed Wen and I'm next!" Jun said on a private channel to Koyama and Wen.

She had to come up with something to avoid being thrown out the airlock like the recently departed Wen.

"H-heeeeey Hoshiko. You know I've always thought you look great! 100% something is wrong with Wen for going crazy for getting to see your bust like that! I think your boobs are great and not madness-inducing at all."