• Nobles of Null is a forum based roleplay site where sci-fi and magic collide. Here, Earth remains fractured and divided despite humanity reaching out to the stars. Worse still, the trans-human slaves of one major power have escaped, only to establish their own Empire, seething with resentment at abuses of the past. Even the discovery of aliens, though medieval in development, has failed to rally these squabbling children of Earth together with its far darker implications. Worse still, is the discovery of the impossible - magic. Practiced by the alien locals, nearly depleted and therefore rare, its reality warping abilities remains abstract and distant to the general populace. All the while, unseen in the darkness of space, forces from without threaten to press in. For those with eyes opened by insight, it is clear that an era is about to end, and that a new age will dawn.

Chapter 3 & 4 Intermission 3: Consolation

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Co-authored by: Ray of Meep (GM), Ikate Keda Studios

???? A.D., 24 hours after the raid on Gluck

Silbern system, interplanetary space, aboard Daheim One

Joan walked down the hall, much happier than the people on the ship had ever seen her, heading down the transfer tube to the main spine. The constant burn they were doing removed the 0g aspect, which made all of this much easier to navigate as she skipped into the bridge. "Mornin loves," She said brightly, freshly showered and dressed for such a meeting. "Ah 'ope everyfing is alright, in dis is just ah regulah breifin?" She asked, looking between the two.

Eberhard and Ulrike were both in lax jumpsuits and gave each other an inquisitive look. Whatever they were expecting, Joan's overly cheery nature was one of the last on the list. "Err... sort of." Eberhard started, tapping the console to close the birdge's entrance. "First, I want to ask about the Chongwu you encounted on the Gluck. Are you feeling alright about that? We understand you had a pretty bad run-in with more than a year ago."

Joan furrowed her brow. "Uh, yeah?" She asked, crossing her arms with a slight scowl. "Ah mean, fer a secund ah was worried bu' ah mean, we's were in vacuum, no teef an such ta worry bout. 'e was no worse den any ovah baddy wif dat suit on," She said with a dismissive shrug. "Ah'll letcha all know when ya should 'ave a worry bout chongwu. Dat one was fine."

"It's that fear that we're worried about." Eberhard replied, sounding more concerned. "You got lucky by forcing the pirates into vacc suits. If they're buying muscle from Daqin, we have to be prepared for more. We can't afford for you to break down when one shows up with their jaws open."

Joan's face fell into worry as she looked between the two of them. Ulrike could definately see the panic starting to build up. "So... Ah'm, ah fink, unders'andably scared oh chongwu," She said, looking between the two. "Ah'm afraid o' gettin shot too!" She added quickly, looking at Ulrike. "Ulrike... Ah left ma job fer dis..." She said, her brain obviously going to the worst possible outcome. "Ah can't afford tah lose dis job..."

"I know you can't. Which is why we're just giving you a heads up, that if you see one of them again, you are to fall back and let Juan and Bee take care of it until you return to your senses." Eberhard nodded sympathetically. "This encounter also alerted us to our lack of manpower. We're looking into adding one or two people to your team."

Joan covered her face, trying to recover from the panic she just went through. "Alright, more people, dun be an 'ero, got it," She said, taking a deep breath, a little bit of the former cheer gone but a lions share remaining. "Anyway, was dat it?" She asked, pointing as if to leave. "Ah just go' back on da ship wif ma nippahs. Ah was goin ta play somefing wif dem in da recroom" She explained.

"Uhmm..." Ulrike spoke up, then shook her head. "Nevermind, that was it. We just want to make sure you're all good, emotionally and mentally."

Joan nodded her head. "Ah'm doin wondahful, actually," She smiled. "Ah mean, sure, ah've got mah issues but ah'm finking much clearah now den ah was before," She said, letting out a sigh.

"Really now?" Ulrike raised an eyebrow, then smiled mischeviously. "Let me guess, you and Juan went to the next level?"

"Ya askin meh ta kiss in tell?" Joan asked, crossing her arms but going red none the less.

"Don't bother hiding it. Near the end of the mission you and him abruptly went radio silent." Eberhard nodded knowingly and crossed his arms. "I was worried, but then I realized there was nothing around you, and your vitals were still pinging. And now your cheeks are turning cherry."

"Well, if ya must know," Joan said, with a sigh. "Ah said ah would give it a try, but we ain't nuffin serious," She said simply. "We 'ad a little 'armless fun, nuffin like, world changin or anyfing. Ah let 'im git 'andsy in das bout it," She said, nodding her head. "Or does ya need a full play by play?"

"No need, we've been around the block and have a child of our own. We know what happens." The couple both chuckled. "Congratulations on the new relationship."

"Is... Not a relationship..." Joan frowned for a moment. "Ah 'ope das not a problem, we were just testin da watahs ta see if one could 'appen in da future. If fings get weird, den ah'll be endin it. Mission first in such," She said, crossing her arms.

"Ah. No, there's no need for any additional action." Eberhard waved his hand. "If sex or whatever keeps you upbeat, we won't stop you." He stated bluntly.

Joan furrowed her brow a little awkwardly, a light smile crossin her face. "Ah'll keep yer blessin in mind if it gets ta dat point den" Joan said simply, taking an awkward step back. "Dat everyfing?" She asked.

"Nope, you can go take care of Jacob and Melinda now." Ulrike replied.

"Right," Joan said, giving the two a thumbs up. "If ya need anyfing just call," She said, leaving the two on the bridge.

"You think she was lying? About just getting handsy with Juan?" Eberhard asked.

"Pff, defenitley, lying through her teeth." Ulrike rolled her eyes. "Based on the noise complaints I got it was as much as you could dream."

"Yeah, I do dream." Eberhard mockingly smacked his lips, before his wife put a finger in front of it.

"Keep dreaming Ebey, we'll do it when I'm in the mood." They laughed lightly.

"She wasn't the only one lying though." Eberhard lowered his voice. "Why didn't you ask her?"

"Mmm..." Ulrike frowned, pulling out a data pad. On it was displayed Joan's financial records, exobirtant amounts of withdrawn money from her bank account, her children's education funds, and investments, and retirement plans, all deposited into an unknown source.

"It was easy enough to figure out she was spending it all somewhere, I don't know what yet. Doesn't seem like drugs or gambling." Ulrike mused. "I have a few theories, but I don't have proof, and if I don't know exactly what she's worrying about I can't pull the right strings. As much as I'd like to confront her about it, I don't have much basis to. Besides..." She lowered her data pad. "She's in too much of a good mood right now. Let's not pull the bandage off yet when we have nothing to replace it."