• Nobles of Null is a forum based roleplay site where sci-fi and magic collide. Here, Earth remains fractured and divided despite humanity reaching out to the stars. Worse still, the trans-human slaves of one major power have escaped, only to establish their own Empire, seething with resentment at abuses of the past. Even the discovery of aliens, though medieval in development, has failed to rally these squabbling children of Earth together with its far darker implications. Worse still, is the discovery of the impossible - magic. Practiced by the alien locals, nearly depleted and therefore rare, its reality warping abilities remains abstract and distant to the general populace. All the while, unseen in the darkness of space, forces from without threaten to press in. For those with eyes opened by insight, it is clear that an era is about to end, and that a new age will dawn.

Earth Geography

Acewing13

GM
Wiki Moderator
I was working on the Turkey-Egypt Pact and that lead to thinking about the Mediterranean and how it'd been impacted by rising sea levels. With that, I think we could adapt an idea for our own purposes, Atlantropa. Now, actually going through draining the Med is a bad idea, mostly cause it'd ruin the existing ports access to water and the 'new land' would be useless salt marsh. But, if sea levels are going to rise, building one dam at the Gibraltar Strait to protect all of the Med instead of trying to build sea walls along all the important coast lines would be more effective and also be a good source of hydroelectric power.

On top of that, I'm wondering what other 'mega'-projects would have been done in the past 300 years. Unless shot down, I want to make another canal for the Bosphorus Straits, cause that's fun and relatively easy. There are some other canal projects that could have been built, with a Balkan or Italian canal, etc.

Uso

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
The early 2100s would be a good time for these mega projects to kick off. Earth is increasingly devastated by climate change and biodiversity collapse. Fusion power is available. The super-nations are looking at ways to colonize space (or at least build more self-sufficient enclosed environments), and various mega-engineering projects could start sprouting up.

I'm sure they'd want to keep ocean access to the Atlantic from the Med though, since shipping would still be important. Maybe they'd include some kind of lock system for ship transport as well?

CadetNewb

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
I'm definitely not against the idea of a super project like this. The dam across the Gibraltar Strait would be something of the utmost importance in preserving and protecting a lot of territory, and I also assume it could have a lot of history revolving around it too. Negotiations, alliances, terrorist attacks and so forth. This doesn't strike me as a bad idea.