• Nobles of Null is a forum based roleplay site where sci-fi and magic collide. Here, Earth remains fractured and divided despite humanity reaching out to the stars. Worse still, the trans-human slaves of one major power have escaped, only to establish their own Empire, seething with resentment at abuses of the past. Even the discovery of aliens, though medieval in development, has failed to rally these squabbling children of Earth together with its far darker implications. Worse still, is the discovery of the impossible - magic. Practiced by the alien locals, nearly depleted and therefore rare, its reality warping abilities remains abstract and distant to the general populace. All the while, unseen in the darkness of space, forces from without threaten to press in. For those with eyes opened by insight, it is clear that an era is about to end, and that a new age will dawn.

Day in the Life: Refugee Crisis

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Some time in May, 2321

Da San City, Ganymede, Sol System

Bach Ha awoke to an alarm, vibrations emanating from her wrist console. She groaned quietly, lazily sitting up from her bed. The woman was of Asian decent, tall and thin but lean and muscular as well, sporting short black hair. She was somewhere in her late twenties, early thirties, but the rest of humanity's insistence to stick to Earth years and days for everything made intuitive tracking difficult for someone born offworld like herself. Last she checked her digital record she was 900 million something seconds old. Bach turned around, finding her partner besides her, her head burried into the pillow. Vi Mik Vo, they met in upper university and have been inseperable since. Bach smiled, giving Vi Mik a small kiss on the temple, who murmured and buried her head even further. She was still in her night hours.

The woman quietly left their little closet bedroom, and washed herself in their little closet bathroom, using a damp cloth for her skin while using up a tenth of her daily water rations to wet and clean her hair. Once she got dressed in her corporate jumpsuit, she squeezed down a tube of protein paste, storing one in a pocket, clipping her whole day's water supply in a bulb to her belt. Making sure her datapad was velcroed onto her suit as well, she left the small apartment. Between the common area, the bathroom, and bedroom, the whole footprint was no larger than that of a bedroom on Earth, but it had spin gravity, which was above average living standards for folks in Da San, and Bach was perfectly content with that.

The centrifuge apartment complex, like other living spaces in Da San city, was buried beneath Ganymede's surface, connected halfway between the old tube colonies at the center, and the more luxurious centrifuge habitats outward. Bach used an elevator to climb along one of the spokes of the complex ring, reorienting her sense of gravity down towards the moon's core, then climbed up along the inner walls of the axel. She could've used a second elevator, but she needed the exercise. She finally found herself in the sprawling tube network that formed the foundation of Da San's infrastructure, waiting for a rail shuttle to take her to the central space ports.

Last edited:

Uso

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
"Hey Bach!" Trànra would call out as she skipped over to where her friend was waiting for the train. The woman was dressed similarly to her friend, wearing her cooperate jumpsuit emblazed with the company logo and an added backpack to hold her assorted stuff. The woman bringing herself to a stop by reaching up and placing one hand against the ceiling, her feet then pushing down against the ground. She had been born here in this microgravity environment. Her family had lived in the cheaper lower-gravity areas of the colony so she ended up growing much taller than the others.

A quick glance at the projected displays on the rail shuttle tube's doors would indicate exactly how long she needed to wait before the shuttle arrived.

"Do you think we're gonna get involved in the war? Everyone's saying the HFR is gonna pick sides soon!"

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Bach chuckled politely but uneasily, feeling a gust of wind push against her, threatening to tip her over in the low gravity. She braced herself with her magboots on the floor, pressing up to the ceiling like Tranra. "I really hope not. Beijing's been passive and non confrontational for several parliament cycles now. The last thing we need is for us to get into a war when we can barely keep the lights on right now. I doubt that Shen Zhou or Li Ming are interested in helping out in Sol affairs. We'd be truly alone."

A sleek, aerodynamic shuttle appeared out of the darkness, a design recycled from Earth, but visibly modified for space as cold gas thrusters blew out in front of it, slowing to a stop. The waiting passengers quickly hopped on before the shuttle accelerated again towards the city center. The interior of the shuttle had no windows, instead plastered with bright monitors that blasted Earthly scenery at the passengers and a plethora of advertisements that were truly comical. Dumplings and hot buns with pork, real pork, imported from Earth. A single serving would've cost Bach half of her disposable income for the month. An auto-vac that worked in zero-g. More useful and ironically cheaper, but her living space was tiny to begin with, plus she was fortunate enough to actually live in gravity.

The woman checked her datapad for upcoming tickets. "Cao (Fuck)." She cursed in Mandarin. "Looks like we're getting involved regardless. There's a fleet of rovers carrying refugees and the city doesn't want them, so they've delegated the work to the corpos who naturally delegated it all to us."

Uso

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
Trànra would nod, Mandarin wasn't her strong suit though knowing multiple languages was a must out here. She was currently speaking Vietnamese, plenty of ads were in Mandarin, and there was always a smattering of English around as a 'technical language'. "Yeah, that's what they say on Earth but the guys on Li Ming are saying that we're next once they are finished with the Soyuz... and that the Refugees are just gonna use up all our air!"

It didn't take long for the shuttle to react to Trànra. Already the ads for meat buns were being replaced with advertisements for the latest 'Informational' shows out of Li Ming with colorful headlines like 'Space Commands Latest Superweapon' and 'Refugee Crisis in the Solar System'

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Bach rolled her eyes at the first headline that popped up. Anyone with a basically understanding of physics would know that every ship that had a fusion drive and some that didn't were all superweapons, city destroyers, asteroid busters. There was no news here. The refugee crisis though, that might hold some more water.

She checked her ticket again, looking for extra details. "Why would Li Ming care? They've written us off as Beijing's problem only. Besides, I don't think the Commonwealth will be done with the Soyuz anytime soon, if they can't keep their own civilians in their territories. Still, they're going to be problems for us. They very well could use up all our air if we don't do our jobs."

Uso

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
Trànra would nod again, this time more slowly as she thought about what Bach had to say. "Well... The videos say they care about it so they have to care about it for some reason right?" She thought outloud, "They keep saying this is the new century of humiliation. Maybe they just want to score some points? Political points? Is that how politics works..." She didn't really get why any of the talking heads said anything that they did and she wasn't embarrassed to admit it, "Why is everyone fighting anyways? The only wars you ever hear about are between people stuck on Earth."

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
"I... hmm." Bach paused as well. Admittedly, her understanding was superficial as well, based on hearsay, what the local nethosts had to say as well. "I don't know. All I know is for some reason, people on Earth are fighting again, and rocks might just fall, and everyone dies."

The center of Da San City was a sprawling network of tubes, carved out wider to accommodate the higher population centuries after its first creation, larger caverns dug out and lined with paneling for social gathering. These larger rooms were much newer in creation; the old PRC administration would've forbidden accommodations for such large gatherings. Remnants of it were still apparent; way too many security cameras lining the edges of the tubes and an uncomfortable amount of biometric scanners, many still used today, repurposed by corpos and the new order alike, keeping the local employees in check one way or the other.

Bach didn't think too much of it. She kept the lights on and the air filters running. As far as she knew the higher ups never bothered her; the void was a bigger problem. With rhythmic hops, she jumped up a vertical shaft that led up to the surface facilities, making sure to gulp down a couple of anti-cancer tablets as she did so. The two arrived at an airlock. With the tap of her badge, Bach entered, arriving in a room filled with environmental protection equipment.

Uso

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
Trànra would start getting dressed in her pressure suit. "UUUuggghh... if I die before getting my vacation I'm going to be.... well.. I'll be dead but I'll be extra unhappy about it. I've been saving up all year for a chance to go somewhere I can really stretch my legs and enjoy gravity all day."