• Nobles of Null is a forum based roleplay site where sci-fi and magic collide. Here, Earth remains fractured and divided despite humanity reaching out to the stars. Worse still, the trans-human slaves of one major power have escaped, only to establish their own Empire, seething with resentment at abuses of the past. Even the discovery of aliens, though medieval in development, has failed to rally these squabbling children of Earth together with its far darker implications. Worse still, is the discovery of the impossible - magic. Practiced by the alien locals, nearly depleted and therefore rare, its reality warping abilities remains abstract and distant to the general populace. All the while, unseen in the darkness of space, forces from without threaten to press in. For those with eyes opened by insight, it is clear that an era is about to end, and that a new age will dawn.

Chapter 7 & 8 Intermission 4: Cohabitation

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Co-authored by: Ikate Keda Studios, TheCountryWarrior

23XX AD

Daheim One

Juan sat in his room, the television just playing music as he sat. He had not been doing much at the time, a mixture of recovering from a workout and being too lazy to do anything at the moment. His thoughts drifted to Joan again, their efforts having been successful. They had gotten the kids back, and with that Juan felt an entire weight lift from his shoulders. He had missed them, and he especially missed Joan’s happiness. All would be well, for a time. He did wish he could see them more often, but he attributed that to being lazy than anything else. He also didn’t want to just drop in on them, they deserved some time together, and he felt his presence would just get in the way of that.

Though, his drifting thoughts were soon brought to an end as his door opened. Speak of the Devil, and she will arrive it seemed, as Joan just let herself into his room, arms crossed, a bit of a scowl on her face as she looked about. She sighed, shaking her head. “Ah dun know ‘ow ya live like dis,” She said, turning her attention to Juan.

He looked up to her, and blinked with confusion. He was glad to see her, but now he was knocked off balance. “Live like what? This is how I’ve always lived.”

“So ya say!,” Joan said, snorting in irritation as she started picking up stray clothing, letting out a sigh. “Ah’d go nuts if’n ah ‘ad ta live in ‘ere!” She said, looking at all the stuff that was in the room. “Dis ‘as ta change. Fer yer on good!” She added quickly, setting the clothes on his counter to begin folding them up.

Well now he felt bad, he hadn’t been expecting a visitor. He stood up and started cleaning his room. “Well I don’t exactly have guests coming over every day. At least that was the idea.” He chuckled. “Should have known better. Shouldn’t you be with your kids? Did you walk over here just to judge me, because that would be heartbreaking.” He smiles. He was glad to see her, there was no doubt, but he’d have thought she’d be living it up with her children.

Joan let out a “hmm” in acknowledgement before looking around the room. She walked over to his storage compartment and opened it up, rummaging around. “Ah fink we are gonna fix dis,” She said, pulling out a suitcase and setting it on the bed. She then started opening up his drawers and pulling clothes out of them and putting them in the suitcase. At this point she was just mumbling to herself, going over a bit of a checklist in her head.

Now he was even more confused. “Oh no, I’ve finally overstayed my welcome. I should have known it could never be.” He places the back of his hand on his forehead, in a show of half-hearted mock dramatic play. He chuckled to himself, and returned his hand to his side. “Are we going somewhere?”

“You are,” Joan said plainly.

“Do you get off on being as vague as possible?” He started packing, not sure entirely why this was happening. “Because you’re being very vague.”

“Ah’ve already spoke ta Ulrike ‘bout it,” She said, looking at Juan. “Ya kin keep dis room in all, but, dis ain’t yer assigned living quarters anymore,” She said, closing the suitcase and turning to look at Juan with her arms crossed.

He blinked again, before a thought entered his mind. “Are you… inviting me to stay with you? Or maybe more accurately kidnapping me, I wasn’t exactly asked.”

“Is dat a problem?” She asked, a defensive edge creeping into her voice.

Now he had a straight answer, a curvy straight answer. He smiled at her, shrugging nonchalantly. “I mean knowing about it beforehand would have been nice, I could have packed myself, but I wouldn’t say no to it. Are the kids alright with it?”

“Ah’ve ‘ad a bit of a conversation wif dem,” Joan said, now hugging herself. “Ah told ‘em ah was lonely, in ah was gunna invite an adult ta stay wif me, so dey would ‘ave ta share dere room,” She said looking up at the ceiling. “Ah… still ‘aven’t told ‘em dough…” She said quietly.

He nods. “Okay. So that’ll be a conversation, but hopefully they don’t think too poorly of me.” He smiled, and kept packing. “So, let’s get going. It’s been a while since I shared a bed.”

“Ah doubt dey’ll fink poorly o’ ya,” Joan said, lifting the suitcase. “Jacob likes ya, in Mandy ‘as grown a ‘ittle les ‘ateful o’ ya since ya apologized fer scarin ‘er,” She added, walking towards the door.

Juan lifted a second suitcase, and followed her. “We’re going to have to make a couple trips, I… have a medium amount of stuff.” He chuckled, and took a deep breath. “Wow, I haven’t moved into someone else’s place of residence in years. Let’s see if it can even compare to my messy bachelor pad.”

“Yer still keepin yer room,” Joan said, looking at Juan. “Ah don’ fink it’s a good idea fer us bofe ta be stuck in da same room wif no way ta ‘ave our own space,” She said, continuing to walk. “Plus ya in Jacob could use a place ta play yer vidia games in such, She nodded her head. “Las fing we need is ta be at each ovahs froats ovah high stress,” She added.

“I doubt we’d be at each other's throats immediately. But having a gaming room is…” he nods approvingly, “a childhood dream come true.” He chuckles, a small sense of excitement washing over him. He felt a sudden urge to be mischievous, the Spaniard accent creeping up again. “Even better though, is the chance to sleep at your side once more.”

“Oh,” Joan nodded, looking at Juan. “Ah’m sure sleeping is da last fing exciting you about ma bed,” She said, rolling her eyes in amusement. “Ah know wha’ dat accent is all ‘bout. What’re ya plannin?”

He smiles wide, innocent eyes blinking at her. “Oh you wound me. When have I ever planned anything?” He laughed, his free hand moving slowly up her back. He knew she liked just being touched, his secret weapon against her.

He could feel her shiver at the touch before giving him a scowl. “Ya could wait till we’re at da room, can’t cha?” She asked, looking back up the hallway. They were alone, but as she turned her head he could see her bite her lip a little.

“Wait to do what my dear? I see nothing wrong with a gentle pat on the back.” It was very much not a pat on the back, as his hands crept up her back along her spine. Even as they walked he smiled mischievously.

Joan took a very deep breath, turning to look at Juan. “You best be careful,” She warned, but there was certainly a pleasant growl to her tone. “Last few monfs ‘aven’t been too kind ta me in dat regards, once dat engine ‘as started, it ain’t turnin off fer nuffin…” She said, narrowing her eyes. “So evah you do a real good job o’ teasin me, er ya stop…”

He smiled wider, a thirsty growl sounding from his throat. “Oh but how could I be so cruel to deny you a reprieve from a period of dissatisfaction? Besides,” with a quick glance both ways down the hall, he leaned forward and whispered in her ear, “I like to hear this engine purr.”

Joan groaned. “You little cunt,” She whispered, trying to double down on walking. “Stop akin’ dis difficult!”

He chuckled impishly, and walked beside her for a good while. “I guess you could say I’ve just been lonely.” His hand now made an even bolder move, creeping down towards her rear as it moved beside him. “Besides, I know you like my hands.”

“Juan,” Joan warned. “Ah’m warnin ya…” She hissed, squirming but not exactly pulling away. “Stahp ‘fore a do somefing ah might regret…”

“Have you regretted it yet?” He raised an eyebrow, asking a question in jest.

“Ya know,” Joan said, sighing. “Ah ‘aven’t. If anyfing, ah regret ya not being forward enough,” She explained with a tease. “Ah go in give ya explicit permission ta fool round wif me, in ya do dainty ‘ittle fings like dis,” She said, shaking her head with a playful tsk tsk tsk. “Shame really.”

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Juan sighed. “Well excuse me, I’m not used to my partners being so touch hungry. Let me try this.” Without warning his hand touched the side of her head, and he pushed his lips onto hers, a little Spaniard growl as he smirked.

Joan did let out a startled squeal as Juan kissed her, but it didn’t take long for that to turn into a groan. She dropped the suitcase, wrapping her arms tightly around the spaniard and leaned back against the wall, taking a sharp breath as the kiss broke. “Dat… Is an improvement…”

Juan laughed, and looked at her with a cocked head. “‘An improvement?’ Is that all? Would you prefer I lift you against the wall and pound you right here? I would say that this is at the very least, a substantial effort.” He leaned closer, whispering in her ear again. “Oh, but you would absolutely love that wouldn’t you?”

Dat ‘ole fing ya just said? Joan said, taking a few deep breaths. “Leave out dat las’ part in ya woulda ‘ad it on da money,” She winked.

He dropped his suitcase in turn and pushed her against the wall, his lips reaching hers again, a fire in his eyes now. He pulled away just for the chance to be snarky. “You did basically ask for it.” With that out of the way, he kissed her, his hands stroking her sides, a three pronged attack. Joan half whined, but it quickly turned into a moan as she started to melt into the treatment, but she stiffened up a bit and pushed him away, breathing heavily.

“Talk wif da nippahs,” She said, looking him in the eye. “Den we send em off ta play in we kin continue dis where we was, yeah?” She asked slowly.

Juan smiled, partly triumphant, partly playfully annoyed at the interruption. With a chuckle, he nodded. “Alright then. Probably safer than the hallway anyway.” He picked up his suitcase, and gestured onward. “After you mi senora.”

Joan nodded her head and started walking again, maybe a little quicker than before. She walked into the room, setting the bag on her bed, Jacob and Miranda looking at her with some confusion. When Juan followed after, Jacob’s confusion turned to surprise, and Miranda’s confusion only grew more. Juan could tell Jacob was putting the pieces together in his head, but Miranda wasn’t in the same galactic sector, let alone the same page.

“Right,” Joan said, looking at Jacob and Miranda. “Ya ‘member ‘ow ah said mum was lonely in wan’ed a frien’ ta live wif me?” She asked, looking at the two. Miranda slowly nodded, but Jacob just gawked at Juan.

“Yer datin me mum?!” He asked in shock.

Juan was suddenly face with, hands down, the most awkward conversation he’d ever be a part of. He had the thought that nothing before will compare, and nothing after will compare. Juan knew Jacob was growing, at the moment he hoped he hadn’t grown up that far yet. Juan nodded, with a nervous smile. “That’s… not incorrect. Yes.” His smile was genuine, but he was worried about the outcome of this interaction. “Yeah, you hit the nail on the head.”

“Ah ‘ope dat is okay,” Joan said simply. She didn’t frown, or show any outward sign that she would be disappointed if he said it wasn’t.

“Wha’s datin mum?” Miranda asked simply, looking around, a little upset she was so out of this loop.

“Ah’ll explain in a minute luv,” Joan said, looking back at Jacob.

Jacob just frowned in thought, before getting up from the little desk he was at and continuing to look conflicted. “Ah fink ah’m gunna go fer a walk,” He said before walking past Joan and Juan, leaving them alone with Miranda.

“Wha is Datin!” Miranda asked again, a little irritated now.

“A special friend,” Joan said simply, looking at Miranda. “One dat will sleep wif me now dat ya ‘ave yer own bed,” She said with a grin.

“A special friend from outside the family your mother likes spending time with, someone to keep her company.” Juan smiled, finding the poor girl's lack of understanding adorable. She couldn’t know, she’s practically a baby!

“Wha if ah wanna sleep wif ya?” Miranda asked, crossing her arms.

“Den Juan’ll ‘ave ta move ovah a bit,” Joan smiled. “Cause ya will always ‘ave first crack.”

Miranda narrowed her eyes a bit, but then went back to her book. “S’pose ah’m okay wif it fer now…” She said, losing herself in her book.

Juan chuckled. “You’ve got first pick hon, don’t worry.” With that seemingly wrapped, he gave Joan a worried glance. “Should I… see if Jacob’s doing okay, or should I let it go?”

“If ya wanna go talk wif ‘im,” Joan said with a frown. “Ah’ll talk wif him ovahwise. A fink ‘e’s just confused wif da ‘ole Tylah fing. In… A fink da ovah kids ‘ave been doing a bit too much chattin bout fings dey dun undahstan’ so… Yeah… Ah’ll talk wif ‘im if ya dun wanna approach dat. Ah’d actually undahstand dat one.”

Juan sighed, scratching the back of his head. “I’m not sure I want to drop this on him and not talk to him one on one about it. You know, man to man. It won’t be immediate I guess, but I don’t want to just leave him by the wayside.” Looking at the door, he contemplated following.

“Well, ya can’t pack til we know ‘is ansah,” Joan said, with a shrug. “Follow ‘im, but give ‘im a few minutes. ‘Es twelve, a fink ‘e just wanted to get out of answerin so quick.”

He nodded, and gave her hand a quick squeeze. “I’ll be back.” Determined now, he stepped out of the room and followed the boy a ways, not being too noticeable, but not hiding. He let the boy have some time.

“Ah know yer dere,” Jacob eventually said, continuing to walk, as he walked into the range. It was empty, as it usually was.

“I’m not exactly hiding.” Juan responded with a shrug. Taking that as a sign of approved interaction, he walked closer. “Just wanted to make sure you were all right. We kinda dropped a bomb on you there.”

Jacob gave a confused scowl. “Well, is me mum!” He said, his arms flailing in childish frustration. “Ah know wha’ people do when dey date! Like,” He said, dropping his arms again. “Least ah ‘eard… Ah’m not dumb, in Dad was a right cunt wif it…”

Juan sighed, and shrugged. “I know, but to be fair,” he looked over his shoulder real quick, “he was a cunt about a lot of things. No one’s saying you’re dumb, no, you’re on the money here.” Juan sat down at one of the tables at the range, and patted the seat across from him. “And because I know you’re not a moron, I’m here to talk. You’re smart enough to understand things, so I’m here to reach an understanding. Tell me what you feel, let it out. Anything, I won’t judge your worries, I won’t tell you off, lay it on me hermano.”

Jacob was again, frustrated, by his arm flailing. “Ah jus’...” He said, grumbling a little. “Are ya doing does fings wif mum?” He asked finally. “Da one mum tells me ta leave durin movies in such?” He asked. “Cause dats weird…”

Juan sighed, blinking in the light. “Yes. It’s just a fact of life, but it’s weird, you’re right about that. It’s things adults do that you don’t need to worry about for a damn long time, but I get why it’s a concern. But that can’t be all that’s bothering you.”

“Well…” He frowned. “Las time mum got ‘urt,” Jacob said. “In mum gets ‘urt a lot, in some’ow is my fault. But…” He frowned. “Ah can’t win… Ah say no, mum is upset cause she’s lonely, in she obviously wants dis ta be a fing else dis wouldn’t even be a fing ta talk about, but ah say yes, in dat gives ya da ability ta ‘urt ‘er, which makes it ma fault again, cause ah coulda stopped it!”

Juan’s eyes looked at Jacob with a more understanding glint now. Of course, he thinks she blames him, poor boy. He leaned forward, looking the boy in the eyes. “Your mother hasn’t blamed you for anything in a long time, not when she’s gotten hurt. Don’t you blame yourself either. Tyler wasn’t your fault, and if some evil ghost takes over my body to make me as bad as him, as that’s the only way I could possibly be involved in hurting your mother, that still wouldn’t be your fault.”

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
“In wha if ya git shot!” Jacob suddenly asked. “Mum goes out, in gits shot at all da time, in ah ‘ave ta sit ‘ere in just wait ta find out if she’s gonna come ‘ome! In it makes me feel bad!” He said with a frown. “But is ‘er job, so is okay. But if ya git shot, dat’ll ‘urt mum too, in she’ll be sad!”

Juan understood a little better now, and he smiled a sad smile. “Buddy, I would have been there anyway. It’s my job too, we know the stakes.” He sighed, shoulders slumped. “It’s part of the job, and it’s the worst part, easily. Not much we can do about it but come back. Remember this,” he poked his nose, “she can’t ever be too sad if she’s got you and your sister. As long as you two are around, she’s got a net to fall back into. That’s your part of the job, the one that isn’t on the contract. Without you, she wouldn't have a reason to come back. Our work is dangerous, but with you guys to come back to, every moment is worth it.”

Jacob narrowed his eyes. “If ah say yes… kin ah play yer games while yer gone?” He finally asked, looking a little tired.

Juan smiled, placing a hand on his shoulder. “Jacob, that was never in question. Actually if you say yes, and don’t you think this is a bribe, but we finally get a gaming room.” He nods with a smile.

“Ah s’pose den,” He sighed. “But it’s still weird! In no kissing! Ah dun wanna see dat, it weirded me out when dad did it.”

Juan chuckled, and then laughed. “Your age is showing Jac, it’s adorable. You’ll grow into it.” He ruffled Jacob’s hair, and smiled warmly. “I will warn you, your mother’s going to talk to you about this too. She has some experience with the words of others and their effect on your mind. You’ll be alright.”

“Ew…” Jacob said with a shudder. “Ah’d ravvah go on a mission wif you guys den ‘ave dat kinda talk wif me mum…”

“I know the feeling, but I also know there is no escape. Take my advice, get ready to listen, mothers are good at most things, so learn all you can from them while you’re young. But first do you want to shoot some targets?” Juan smiled with a wide grin.

Jacob screwed up his face at the idea, but when Juan mentioned shooting he perked up. “Really? But, ma gun is at ‘ome, in a dun fink ah wanna go frough dat talk right yet…”

“If I grab your gun for you will you listen when the time comes?” Juan had him right where he wanted him, smiling impishly. Bargaining, a classic.

Jacob rolled his eyes. “Fine… But ah’ll ‘ate e’ry momen’ o’ it ah tells ya! Mark me words Juan, ah’ll make ya pay fer dis some’ow…”

Juan chuckled, and nodded. “Yep, got it. Trust me, you’ll hate it, but in like 8 years you’ll be glad it happened.” He stood up, and headed on… well home he supposed to grab the kids airsoft gun.