• Nobles of Null is a forum based roleplay site where sci-fi and magic collide. Here, Earth remains fractured and divided despite humanity reaching out to the stars. Worse still, the trans-human slaves of one major power have escaped, only to establish their own Empire, seething with resentment at abuses of the past. Even the discovery of aliens, though medieval in development, has failed to rally these squabbling children of Earth together with its far darker implications. Worse still, is the discovery of the impossible - magic. Practiced by the alien locals, nearly depleted and therefore rare, its reality warping abilities remains abstract and distant to the general populace. All the while, unseen in the darkness of space, forces from without threaten to press in. For those with eyes opened by insight, it is clear that an era is about to end, and that a new age will dawn.

Chapter 6: Crossroads

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Co-authored by: Ray of Meep (GM), CadetNewb, TheCountryWarrior, Wallflower

Solaris Lihana, Planet Lihana
Continent of Goedwig, Lake Obdurate's Solace

One day after the Aos Si's venture into Cloud Watch city

The invader Li Shi Cheng was once again waiting on the beaches of the lake in the little tent set up for him. The many footprints around, and the lack of a usable arm, betrayed the fact that he didn't set it up himself. As always, the invaders were many, and perhaps cunning. Or stupid. It was hard to tell.

He was sitting on a foldable chair, reading something on his datapad, those rectangular bricks that seemed to have replaced books in human society, for the most part. The stump that was his left arm was visibly longer, still hidden by his jacket though, since their first meeting a moon ago. Upon seeing the Aos Si emerge from the woods. His head lifted and smiled politely, then stood up.

"You caused quite the uproar on social media that night." Shi Cheng announced to the natives. "Talks of aliens in our city and where our patrol were, and whether they're coming back or not." He referenced them in the third person. "Both the mayor and I had some explaining to do." He snorted. "Politics. Did you get the information you wanted?"

"We did, however," Amisra began, brushing off the length of her simple dress. " - it will take some time for the leaders of our village to convene and determine their next course of action," the redheaded ranger pointed out. "And more importantly, they are waiting for one additional piece of information." The redead was always gently smiling like she always was, seemingly always in on a joke or spiel that others were not. "What role do you wish us to play politically? It is very clear that you are in need of a certain and specific set of criteria with our return, and it is apparenly not to simply receed into nothing as your forefathers wished."

Sai had visibly approached from a different direction, not having arrived with the other two elves. While it could be inferred before, it was increasingly obvious that the connection between her and the duo were much weaker than they had initially tried to pass off. Sai arrived looking as she had before, dressed in her standard, brush colored clothes and leathers that hid and defended her body. Her face was plainly visible, as was the near-permanent look of frustration. Though it was a distant thought at best, even now none of those present had ever seen her smile.

She came empty handed, for the most part. Like always anything she brought would be hidden on her body in some satchel or compartment, no doubt hiding at least a few knives. Though she moved to speak at the question of the Parasite, she glared at Amisra before resigning to silence, deciding it far too early to start bickering among another again. Besides, it seemed the duo could fill such a silence by themselves.

"You are one man." Sai suddenly spoke, imbalanced eyes staring at Shi Cheng. "And your city speaks volumes of your people. Scarcely united under roughly agreed upon principles, nothing more. A collective history without a collective. There those among you who sleep without shelter, yet you turn to us. You've said it yourself that it's been quite difficult to even convince your leaders to open communications with us, and yet you persisted in that. I am curious as to this, why does your fascination draw towards us once more, despite the bloodied history? I find it difficult to believe that your kind have enough that they're willing to share, regardless of how much they have. Before we pursue such relations forward, I want to understand you and your kind." She paused, glancing to the others. "I would not trust that which cannot be understood, as the old ways teach."

Gwaed had arrived with Amisra, of course, tied to her in some horrific way he barely understood, and now stood before their Parasite contact. Gah, Parasite. After last night's excursion, he wasn't sure the term applied to humanity anymore. The Parasite's were gone, yet their children were left behind, the offspring of Parasites that still drained the world of it's lifeblood. They were still Parasites then, but less aggresive ones perhaps. "I would be interested in that answer as well. If it's such a bother to contact us for your Parasitic government, why do you insist on doing so regardless? What do you hope to gain from us?" His eyes narrowed, and he leaned forward, speaking with a growl. "Additionally, do not call us aliens. I will not be regarded as an outsider on my own planet."

Shi Cheng nodded slowly at the onslaught of questions. He didn't seem fazed by Gwaed's aggresion. "Acknowledged, you will be called Aos Si, your proper names. However," He spoke more forcefully. "If we are work on this project together, respect is a two way street. We would prefer not to be regarded as parasites. Despite our predecessors' failings... we still put in the work to call this place home, rebuild it from the ashes. The same constructs who nearly wiped your culture almost wiped out ours. Surely you know that by now. Can we at least agree to that?"

He dodged the far more important question, and Gwaed noticed. This only made him angrier. "You will earn my respect when I choose to give it, Second Generation Parasite. Your forefathers may be to blame for our genocide, but you still take residence in the city built on the ruins of my home. Answer the question. Why bother meeting with us? What aim do you seek?"

Shi Cheng frowned. "I'll pretend I didn't hear that insult for the sake of peace." He then sighed. "You're looking at me like I'm trying to hide something from you. Admittedly the political reasons are more complex and muddied beyond my full comprehension. The way I see it, you are to be, shall I say, used as a way to show my nation's ability to unite a people of all walks of life, to transcend cultural, socioeconomic, and in your case, specieal barriers. Your success under our institutions will be part of a greater effort to show to the rest of the human community that the Heaven Forged Republic is functional. You've seen our history. Even now the three states of the HFR barely get along with each other."

He paused. "That's the reason I was given anyways. I'm sure my superiors would rather not have you know the nation's predicaments, but this is the reality you need to understand. There perhaps are more motivations I am not privy to. I cannot comment on those."

"Now, my personal reasons are much simpler. I am a scientist, I am curious by trade, and I have studied your species for two decades now, gathering what data was left after my predecessors were wiped out. This is one of the best oppurunities for me to understand your kind, and even as we speak---" The invader certainly couldn't help it, but his face visibly brightened and his eyes lit up. "---my knowledge of your kind grows leaps and bounds."

"Then you'll understand the following." Sai spoke, her arm shifting across her body as if she was to cross her arms. "It's been a generation since our culture has thrived as a form of government, and such is no secret. Our disolution into factions is a recent occurance, but before, we operated far more homogenous. Though we are the youngest generation, we still recall much of how it functioned." She paused, glancing to her companions. "However we functioned together, as a whole. There was no under, there were simply parts to the whole."

"What I'm getting at is that we can see the fractures in your society. We see where your own fall through, even from a passing glance. The fact that such factions exist within your kind is a warning sign more than anything. Like a nation on verge of collapsing under its own weight, rot too critical in the foundation for anything built on top to sustain. Such flaw isn't something policy alone can fix, as the old ways described such rot is a symptom, not the disease itself. Without greater connection it's bound to shudder." Sai was, despite her rough exterior, clearly versed in some form of literature.

"It's unreasonable to think that putting resources into us to raise us higher will solve enough, when there's intrinsic problems that must be solved first. Obviously our kind is... Biased, but do you think showing your downtrodden how much effort you put into us instead of them will go over well? You'll fracture more than you'll patch." She gave an odd hand symbol that she tapped against her chest. "I will warn you now, we will not accept subservience, as that is not our way. We are not a conquered tribe whose methods can simply be wiped. If what we have to offer is not valued in the same way as what is being given, then no deal can be made. As is the old scripts." Though she spoke in an intelligent and reasonable way, it was clear that there was much she wasn't saying.

"Oh my," Amisra spoke, finally breaking her own silence. With one arm held horizontally under her bosom, hand cupping the elbow of the other, she had soon rested her cheek upon her palm as they all talked. Head tilted ever so slightly, the redheaded maiden had very clearly made it known that she was displeased with Cheng's initial evasion of a question so forward. But, her faint smile somehow only grew more and more smug as they all talked back and forward. "If you sought to hide these politics from us, then you are truly in the dark regarding our culture," she smiled with amusement.

"If your people are fractured culturally, socially, economically and spiritually, I am certain that my own people will offer to mend your wounds," the redheaded maiden spread her hands up and out in offering. "For a price." She didn't need to even name it - what she offered Cheng with such complete, absolute confidence was priceless. A dream. Perhaps even something that wasn't even possible and wouldn't come true - a fantasy. But Amisra offered him this devilish deal anyways, and without the slightest hesitation. Hand on her hip, she leaned forward, finger pointed at the man. "There is only one condition. You and your superiors will provide us all the information we need regarding the lay of your land. Your culture, your society, your economy, your spirit." Her pointed finger then turned into an offered hand. "We cannot mend you if we are blind after all."

Her emerald eyes almost seemed to shine.

"Our offer is well thought, and understandable. If your superiors wish us to integrate, we will not be made pawns. Your broken society will change, one way or the other. If you let us in, we could help you. Lead you to the harmony your people lack. Listen to us. We could all help each other."

Shi Cheng's demeanor shifted. His face turned difficult, and for once ever since they've met, he turned his back against the Aos Si and looked towards the lake. His hands were behind his back, visible to the Aos Si, and he said nothing, no communication to some external entity as he clearly did before repeatedly. The Aos Si knew this bodily behavior well. It was an acknowledgement of the information laid clearly before oneself and fighting one's primal ego at the same time.

After several minutes of silent contemplation, Shi Cheng turned back towards the Aos Si. His face shifted once again, to one of resignation, no, it was more peaceful than any sign of surrender. "Your people, through my studies I've learned you draw power from the visual arts. By that logic, you also well versed in rhetoric and theatre, correct?"

"I ask," Shi Cheng continued, "Because I wonder how human assumptions of how a society is organized once certain fundamentals are changed. For example, when the artistic representation is as necessary as food and water." At this point, the invader didn't seem to be making an argument or coming up with justifications, he has fallen back to his default state of a scholar.

"There is much to learn." Shi Cheng mused, then talked to the Aos Si directly again. "You will have access to my people's knowledge. I will treat you as both student and teacher, as I do with my peers and with what my institution calls my students. I cannot guarantee you will be treated equally elsewhere, as you will learn why."

Sai gave a strange look to her companions, one of slight unease, though it would be easy to miss. It was a bigger problem than anticipated, it seemed, that Sai was largely disconnected from her two companions, both in origin and in intention. She had a feeling that if she didn't manage to get what she wanted out of the connections with the Parasites, then they would strike the situation first and ruin it first. Sai had her girls, and it became clear to her that they did not completely align with Amisra and Gwaed.

"We were versed in many things." Sai admitted. "Though with the destruction of much of our home, including our libraries and places of learning, the finer details are ultimately lost, save for the obvious few bits and pieces that survive in fragmented remnants." She added. "I will cease calling your kind Parasites, but you will do well to remember that we do not age as your people do. We witnessed firsthand the fury of your kind, and will be slow in accepting that we won't be targeted again. It was hellfire rain that marred me, after all." She shifted, thinking back to the city, and its strange designs.

"And if you must question what it would be like for art to be as necessary as anything else, then truly your society has forgone it. Have your people so deeply seperated the arts and logics? To seperate them is to dissect the life of your people. You find the specifics of how each works, but something living is lost along the way." Machines without heart, art without form. A sickened society, bloated and split. Many texts she had read growing up spoke of it, though she was no master of its rhetoric.

"I must ask for something official." She said after a moment. "Though I know your politics are unlikely to comply with anything that doesn't benefit them. An official recognition of our people, and our rights to life and land."