• Nobles of Null is a forum based roleplay site where sci-fi and magic collide. Here, Earth remains fractured and divided despite humanity reaching out to the stars. Worse still, the trans-human slaves of one major power have escaped, only to establish their own Empire, seething with resentment at abuses of the past. Even the discovery of aliens, though medieval in development, has failed to rally these squabbling children of Earth together with its far darker implications. Worse still, is the discovery of the impossible - magic. Practiced by the alien locals, nearly depleted and therefore rare, its reality warping abilities remains abstract and distant to the general populace. All the while, unseen in the darkness of space, forces from without threaten to press in. For those with eyes opened by insight, it is clear that an era is about to end, and that a new age will dawn.

Chapter 4 & 5 Intermission 1: Receiving the Patient

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Co-authored by: Acewing13, Ikate Keda Studios

???? A.D, 72 Hours after the hostage rescue

Silbern System, Stahl Belt, Nikolaus Otto dwarf-planetary system, Magnuski Station, L’ Hopital’s Medical Center

“Yeah, I’m looking for Joan Ambrose,” Beatrix said, smiling as she adjusted her shoulder bag. “Could you tell me what room she’s in?”

The nurse at the desk looked at Beatrix, then at her computer. "I take it you're the one picking her up? She's been in fits trying to leave for the last day," she said, clicking away at her keyboard.

“Yeah, that’s her alright,” Bee said, chuckling as she leaned on the counter. “Never took her to be an easy patient.”

"Alright," she said, looking back up at Beatrix. "We'll be bringing her out shortly. Just take a seat," she said, heading back to her work.

It was a few minutes before Beatrix heard a commotion down the hall. "Ah kin walk myself!" The familiar accent floated through the air. "Ah ain't a raspberry, ah dun need an 'ere or dere ta walk down da blistering corridor?"

"You'll rip your stitches!" A frustrated nurse groaned, following the limping woman down the hall, trying to get in front of her.

Joan growled, shooting a dangerous glare at the nurse. "Wha' ah just say?" She asked pointedly.

"Fine," the nurse said, waving Joan away dismissively. "Don't come back here complaining when you're dying from blood loss again," she muttered, walking to bring the chair back. Joan was wearing a baggy but comfortable looking sweat suit that hid her figure, carrying a bag over her shoulder as she approached Beatrix. "Git me outta 'ere," she growled, continuing past the smaller woman.

“Yes, ma’am,” Bee said, getting up from her chair and falling in behind Joan. “Right away, ma’am. Exit’s on the left, by the way.”

Joan left the sarcasm alone, turning to the left as she walked. "Ah fucking 'ate dese places," she grumbled, stopping for a moment to catch her breath. "Gives us no digni'y! 'ad one o' da nurses come in finking 'e was gonna give me a Steffi! 'ad a novvah fing comin' 'e did," she said, starting to walk again.

“They’re used to seeing all kinds of stuff, so dignity is usually one of their last concerns,” Beatrix said, shrugging as she followed in the taller woman’s wake. “Would have done the same thing if I was in charge. You can get all kinds of issues if you don’t get cleaned up while in the hospital. Though, I probably would have gotten Juan to do the bathing. For a variety of reasons.”
“Oh stuff it,” Joan grumbled, but Beatrix could see how Joan’s pale skin turned red at the mention of Juan giving her a bath. “Ah dun need a strangah tryin’ ta git all touchy wif me,” She grumbled, stepping out of the hospital and dropping her bag once she got far enough from the door, pulling a pack of smokes out of her bag and sticking one between her teeth. “Ah’d much ravvah Juan, you, Ulrike, Christ Monti would be be’ah den some random nurse,” She added, lighting the smoke.

“Obviously,” Bee said, “But that’s part of the process. Plenty of strangers saw your insides while stitching you back together. Why’s the outsides any different?”

“Just is,” Joan said, looking at Beatrix. She sat for a moment, just enjoying her smoke, before picking up her bag again. “ ‘ow ‘ave me dusties been da las’ few days?” She asked, looking around. “Ah ‘ope dey weren’t worried or nuffin.

“We told them you were going to be good,” Beatrix said, shrugging as she now led the way. “They were definitely not happy that they couldn’t see Mum, but they calmed down eventually. They’ll be happy to see you, though that shouldn’t be a surprise.”

“Ah dun like em seeing me ‘urt,” Joan said, following along behind Beatrix. “Would probably make em feel worse,” She added, looking around. “Speakin’ o’ feelin’ worse, ‘ow fucking far are we gonna be goin? We ain’t walking back tah da ship are we?” She asked, putting her bag back down, starting to look tired. She really shouldn’t be walking.

“We’re almost there,” Bee said, pulling out a key fob and clicking it. On the street, a bright blue car blinked its lights and its gull doors opened. “Picked this up from the rental store,” she continued, picking up Joan’s bag and walking over to the car.

“Ya got a ‘addock?” Joan asked, looking at the car blip. “Ain’t dat a bit pricy fer a station?” She asked as they got to it.

“Ehh, not too bad,” Beatrix said, walking over to the drivers side and putting their bags in between the seats. “It’s not like I’m buying it or anything,” she added, taking a seat and watching her door swing shut on its own.

“Well, I s’pose,” Joan said, getting into the passenger seat. “Ah nevah got used ta left ‘and drive cars…” She said, looking it over. “But it’s pre’ay nice all fings considahed.”

“I thought so too,” Bee said, pulling her seatbelt on as she pressed a button on the dash. “Drive to home.”

“Waiting for seatbelts,” the car replied, beeping impatiently.

“Jesus,” Joan said, reaching and putting on her seatbelt. “Ah can’t remember da last time ah needed a seatbelt when sittin in a car,” She said, looking at Beatrix. “Ah mean, APC’s in Ships dun like usin dem. Dough, dis car’s a fucking nag it is.”

“That’s civilians for you,” Bee said, shrugging as the car pulled out of its parking spot and started towards the near end of the habitat. “Can’t just get the lowest bidder to build their stuff, oh no. Gotta have all the bells and whistles. Only reason this thing has a steering wheel is if the area has a power outage or something.”

“Spoiled,” Joan sighed, shaking her head. “So... “ She said, leaning against the door, not actually looking at Beatrix. “Uh… What ‘as Juan bin up ta while Ah’ve been in da ‘ospital?” She asked, still avoiding looking at Beatrix.

“The usual,” Bee said with a shrug. “Video games, hanging out with your kids, pining over you, et cetera.”

“Was a serious question but okay,” Joan grumbled. “ ‘ave yer bubble in such…”

“What? He’s doing all of those things,” Beatrix said, looking over at the other woman. “Probably spending more time with your kids than before, but Jacob seems to be able to take care of his sister most of the time, so it’s not an all the time thing. Seem to have warmed up to him a lot.”

Joan nodded, looking out the window. “Dis ain’t just ya tellin me wha ya fink ah wanna ‘ear cause yer obsessed, is it?” She asked, looking at Beatrix.

“If it is, is it working?” Bee asked, failing to keep a straight face.

“Maybe…” Joan said with a sigh. “Ah’ve gotta make a choice on this eventually ah s’pose… Ah feel bad fer ‘anging ‘im on a string in dangling ‘im ‘round” She said, looking at Beatrix. “Ah just… Ah dun wanna git ‘urt again.”

“Understandable,” Beatrix said, leaning back into her seat. “That’s why it's good to take things slow though. You gotta make sure that you get a partner who will support you, especially since you have kids.”

“Ah dun even feel like ah deserve it,” Joan said, letting out a long sigh. “Ah’ve done some nasty fings in my time wif da military,” She said, looking out the window. “Ah still ‘aven’t bin able ta fergive meself fer wha’ ah did ta dat woman,” She said, looking at Beatrix. “Ya weren’t dere… But just da look in ‘er eyes said it all…”

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Bee took a few moments to digest that before putting a hand on the other woman’s leg. “Look, I’m not a therapist, which it sounds like you need by the way, but what I do know is if you want to do anything successfully, you need to start by taking care of yourself. Part of that is forgiving yourself. We can’t go back and change things, all we can do is change our behaviour moving forward. You know, become the person who deserves your forgiveness. That make sense?”

Joan was silent for a moment, thinking about what Beatrix said. “S’pose yer right…” She eventually sighed. “Ah’ll talk ta ‘im bout it. Ah’ll fink bout telling me nippahs when ah’ve ‘ealed up some, in we can move on from dere, yeah?”

“Sounds like a plan,” Bee said, patting Joan’s leg.

“Good,” Joan said, looking back out the window. “Kin we ‘it up a place fer some food?” She asked, looking at Beatrix. “Ah ‘aven’t ‘ad a decen’ meal in days!”

“Sure,” Beatrix said, pulling out her PD and pulling up a list of restaurants. “What are you in the mood for?”

“Anyfing quick in bad fer ya,” She said, smiling a little as she looked out the front of the car. “Ah’ll even pay.”

“We can split it,” Bee said, tapping on a nearby restaurant. “Feel up for ‘authentic American’ burgers? I assume that means it's super greasy.”

“Ah ain’t broke!” Joan said defensively. “But dat sound nice. Dey alway ‘ave da best comfort food, even dough it’ll rot yer guts.”

“You said quick and bad for you,” Beatrix said, sending the address of the restaurant to the car. “Can’t think of anything better. As for paying,” she continued, with a shrug. “I guess I won’t turn it down, just thinking that I don’t have kids to take care of, so...”

“If ya wanna bring ‘em up,” Joan said with a smile, looking at Beatrix, “Den ya kin pay fer it. ‘Ow kind o’ ya ta ‘elp a single mum out!” She grinned. “Le’s go eat.”