• Nobles of Null is a forum based roleplay site where sci-fi and magic collide. Here, Earth remains fractured and divided despite humanity reaching out to the stars. Worse still, the trans-human slaves of one major power have escaped, only to establish their own Empire, seething with resentment at abuses of the past. Even the discovery of aliens, though medieval in development, has failed to rally these squabbling children of Earth together with its far darker implications. Worse still, is the discovery of the impossible - magic. Practiced by the alien locals, nearly depleted and therefore rare, its reality warping abilities remains abstract and distant to the general populace. All the while, unseen in the darkness of space, forces from without threaten to press in. For those with eyes opened by insight, it is clear that an era is about to end, and that a new age will dawn.

Chapter 2 & 3 Intermission 5: Theban Tactics 3

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Coauthored by Acewing13, TheCountryWarrior

???? A.D., After interrogation Edith Dussault

Aboard Daheim One

Juan had spent little time outside his room in the hours after that recent embarrassment, though if he was being honest with himself, that wasn’t far off from his normal schedule. He had delved into a recent infatuation via video games, killing giant monsters with sheer badassery alone. He saw the appeal. So he spent his time here, not leaving his room, save to collect food and stretch. This worked just fine for him. He tried not to believe he wasn’t hiding from people after what happened. He wasn’t ashamed, he hadn’t done anything wrong. However, the lingering feeling of someone talking to him about his feelings scared him. He felt it was stupid, that he was acting childish, but he couldn’t shake it off.

Just as he was about to finish off one of the boss monsters when the first part of ‘Shave and a Haircut’ was knocked on his door.

Juan hadn't been expecting anyone, but he paused the game and finished the musical sting, as was proper. He opened the door, looking at Bee confusedly. “Oh Bee, hola. Can I help you?”

“Just was wondering how you were doin’,” she asked, with a smile. “Usually see you around the ship more during the day.”

Juan shrugged, chuckling. “Well, you know. Having a personal day, playing some games. Did you just come by to chat?”

“A little,” Bee said, looking lost in thought. “Needed to talk to you about some...wait.” She leaned to the side to look at what game Juan had been playing. “Is that BDE Sim!?” she asked, looking up at him with a grin on her face.

Juan looked back to the game and perked up a bit. “Oh you know it? I was just chilling really, nothing too grandiose.”

“Can I play it with you?” Beatrix asked, her grin mellowing to a playful smile. “Do you have another controller? If not, I can go dig up mine.”

Juan steps aside to let her in, moving to nab the second controller. “No need, mine second’s always around in case Jacob comes over. How far did you get? I’m stuck at the Rage Lord.”

“I didn’t get that far myself,” she said, sitting down on Juan’s bed, looking at the screen. “Got to Hell Baroness before I moved on. Played through the whole thing with a friend of mine though.”

He sits next to her, sighing. “Yeah, she was a bitch. Killed my second class hero, and I am still salty about it. A lot of these are easier with friends.”

“For sure, for sure,” Bee said, kicking off her flats and tucking her feet under her legs. “Especially since it's easier to play a DPS character if you got a tank to take the hits. What’s your character build?”
Juan seemed lost on the truly technical mumbo jumbo. He played video games, but mostly for casual fun. He felt underprepared. “Well I usually just go for a basic fighter, I’m just trying to enjoy the story. I am not as hardcore as I could be.”

“Huh, you got pretty far for not being hardcore,” she said, looking over at him with a nod. “You want to try and finish the fight by yourself first? I’ll need a few minutes to link to my character anyway.”

“I’m very stubborn.” Juan settled into the gamer stance, slightly hunched, controller in his hands. “I can sure try, I’ve been feeling the rhythm for a while. What do you play?”

“Well, I got my ‘jack of all trades’ character from my solo run,” Bee said, pulling her PD out of her pocket. “Then I got a spell caster character from the run I did with my friend. Either of them would average to your level, so it kinda depends on what you want me to do. You want more of a support character or someone up in the front taking hits with you?”

Juan thought about it, as he surfed the menus. “Let’s both go frontline, kick his ass together.”

“Works for me,” she said, nodding as she started loading her character up.

--------

“Yesssss,” Beatrix said a while later, hopping off the bed and doing an impromptu dance as the screen displayed, ‘MONSTER SLAIN’. “In your face, Rage Lord,” she said, laughing as she sat back down. “Oh, this game is so cathartic.”

Juan sported a wide victorious grin. “Oh I know right? Victory feels good! Best way to unwind after a day is with some cold hard victory.”

“Not sure I’d call flaying a demon to giblets cold,” she said with a chuckle. “But I do agree that this game is great. Never could do that by myself, so glad I could share that with ya.”

“Yeah, we should play more sometime. You have a headset for the online play? I don’t have a lot of,” he paused and looked like he realized something, his smile lessening. “I don’t have a lot of friends to play with, good to meet a fellow gamer.”

“Same, Bandit,” Beatrix said with a nod, before elbowing him in the side. “Speaking of friends, I was wondering what happened last night. I know, I know,” she continued, putting her hands behind her and leaning back, “It’s none of my business, it’s between the two of you, et cetera. I’m mostly just confused on why both of you were so hot and bothered about it if you didn’t do anything.”

Juan stared at her, and then at the ground, and then back to her with a shy smile. “Well the situation was a bit weird is all. It looked bad, but there’s nothing to worry about now! It’s not a big deal, so…” Juan looked to her with a suspicious smile. “Is that your ulterior motive?”

“That was the original reason for coming over, yes,” Bee admitted. “We should definitely play more, but I do really want to talk about your guy’s relationship. Again, I know I’m being a busybody,” she continued, sitting up straight and leaning towards Juan, “But you two would be soooo cute together.”

Juan chuckled, almost shyly. “It’s not gonna happen Nosy Nellie, it’s… far too complicated. It was just a helping hand for a teammate that needed it, and there’s nothing else to read into. I assume you’ve already interrogated Joan?”

Beatrix sighed. “Yeah, I did. She’s got a lotta issues and I’m pretty sure I don’t know half of it. Still,” she said, scooting over next to him, “She’s pretty into you. She’s, like, this close,” she added, separating her index finger and thumb by a millimeter, “to breaking through that, I can feel it.”

Juan tried to look neutral on the matter, but he could tell he was losing the conversation, averting his eyes to look down or just past her vision. “No, it was just a helpful thing, glad to do it. There’s no need to break through anything, I just prefer my team’s morale to be higher than low.”

“You don’t think she’d be happier if she had someone who could, you know,” she said, leaning against him, “satisfy all her needs?”

He sighed, and looked at her. “I thought you were gonna say ‘someone to keep her company’, not… go full sexual right away. I would agree that she needs friends, and I’m more than willing to do that, but…” He looked at the ceiling for a second before bringing his eyes back to her. “There’s nothing else coming, she’s not gonna… go any farther than what we did, and I’m not going to press it if she’s not looking for that.” He stood up, and started pacing the room. “Besides, there’s a whole host of other problems, like it might make things weird on a mission, or it might make us favor one option over another. I’ve been down this train of thought before, it’s not easy like civvie relationships. And that’s hard enough.”

“Ugh,” Bee said, throwing her head back in annoyance. “You two even have the same concerns. Do I need to tell you about ancient Greek gay guys who fucked together as good as they fought together as well?”

Juan shook his head as he paced. “No, I already know that story. Something about making us stronger. How would that help you? We have three team members.”

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
“Oh, thank goodness,” she said with a chuckle. “I get to live a little vicariously. Would I mind a threesome? No, but I don’t think that’d be best for Joan. She needs someone she can rely on through thick and thin, not someone who she's sharing. Not to mention that neither of you have shown any reason for me to worry about my safety. There’s definite perks to being the medic.”

Juan couldn’t look at her, the blood rushing to his ear and sighing. “Wow, and silly me thought the stripper thing was an act.” He chuckled to himself, and looked back to her. “Sorry, bad joke. But no, that’s probably not best for her. She should have someone reliable,” he looked back to the ground, shrugging indecisively, “not some man whore.”

Beatrix raised an eyebrow at the last sentence. “You don’t think you’re reliable?” she asked, cocking her head to the side. “Why’s that?”

Juan groaned, holding a hand to his forehead. “No, I’m the picture of being reliable, but it’s just,” he threw his hands up in the air, “I just don’t think I’m the best option for her out there. It would be great, yes, she’s a great person, yes, but I don’t wanna push her boundaries she’s set up.” He paced harder, in a tight circle. “She was drunk, she would never have done what she did had she been in her right mind. I felt it was too far anyway, I was expecting to get smacked.”

“True,” Bee said, thinking over what she wanted to say. “Let’s look at this from another perspective. Would a man whore have denied the chance that she offered you last night, regardless of whether she was drunk or not? Would a man whore respect a woman’s boundaries?"

Juan stopped walking around, and looked at her, with a blank look on his face as he thought. “I… have no idea what to say to that. Maybe I’m just a really respectful man wh-” he sighed, and sat back down next to her. “No, that’s not it. I have no satisfactory answer to that. I’m not a man whore, I’m just… confused. I’m not sure why, I’m usually pretty good at this.”

“You know what I think?” Beatrix asked with a small smile. “I think you’re an honest guy who wants the best for his teammate. You even hang out with her kids, which I’m glad you’re taking care of that, cause I don’t think I could handle that. When I went over all this stuff with Joan earlier, do you want to know what she said?”

Juan stared worriedly, but nodded slowly. “I’m worried, but please, enlighten me.”

“She said, ‘Please stop reminding me why ‘e would be perfect’,” Bee said, sighing as she clasped her hands. “It was simply adorable.”

Juan smiled, and quickly looked away to hide it with a laughing scoff. “Really? That is adorable. Goddammit, I’m not helping myself.” He gave a heavy sigh, and looked back to Bee. “Look, I’d like to see her more often, and I like her family, but… I don’t know I’m running out of excuses. Are you satisfied, Busybody Bee?”

“Are you kissing yet?” she asked, before shaking her head with a chuckle. “Sorry. Yes, I’m glad we made some progress. Really, you guys need to sit down and talk this over. As much as I like playing matchmaker, you guys are adults. Take it as fast or slow as you guys decide to take it. Maybe you just have a nice date and leave it at that for a little bit. Maybe you guys just say fuck it and go to town. You guys set the rules and boundaries and see where it takes you. I’ll be happy to just not see this OTP go to waste.” She shrugged and asked, “What do you think?”

Juan thought for some time, and nodded. “I’ll see what I can do. I’ll try to talk to her, hopefully she’s willing to talk after this little fiasco. Might want to wait a bit. Orrr go sooner because of it. I don’t know.”

“Alright,” Beatrix said with a smile. “Take all the time you need. Just FYI, one of Joan’s holdups is her being torn between not being a skank while being so wound up that she’s kinda ready to bone anything that has a pulse. Probably why she was so flustered this morning. I,” she continued, looking at her nails, “might have offered to ‘help’ her with that problem and she’s considering it, so if you hear any loud noises from my room, just know I’m removing that little issue, ‘kay?”

Juan looks at her, an eyebrow raised. “Are you saying if I don’t get to her first you’ll take matters into your own hands?”

“Ehh, I wouldn’t go that far,” Bee said, waving away the concern. “Just that if the whole sex thing is a serious issue that she feels more comfortable dealing with her more feminine teammate first, than I’ll deal with the years of pent up sexual frustration so you don’t have to.” She looked over at Juan and grinned, “And it won’t even be a waste for you. I’ll be able to give you tips on how to make her squeal.”

Juan scoffed with a smile, and felt some semblance of competitiveness that wasn’t really there. “I know how to make women scream, okay? I don’t need a scouting party. I’ll talk to her later, if I can catch her alone.”

“Alright, alright,” she said, chuckling as she laid on the bed. “Oof, who knew it was sooo much work to get your coworkers to bang?”

“To be fair,” Juan said, picking up his controller, “It’s really not supposed to be your business anyway.”

“Couldn’t help myself,” Bee said with a giggle, which was cut off by her PD beeping. She pulled the device out and looked at it. “Huh,” she said, looking over at Bandit. “Seems like Joan’s alone at the moment.”

Juan looked at her, expectantly. “Did she say that? Or did you track us to see if we ever enter the same room?”

“What do you think I am? A government spy agency?” she asked, before reading, “‘Hey, you got time to talk? I’m heading over to your room’. Hmm,” she continued, looking at Juan again. “Want a crack at it?”

Juan licked his drying lips, and took a breath. “That seems personal. She’s going to your room after all.”

“And I’m over here,” Bee said with a shrug. “Could just keep playing BDE Sim while you talk to the lady who’s infatuated with you.”

“Fine. But only because I am bored of it right now. Are we both going or…” Juan asked.

“Yeah, I think that’d be best,” Beatrix said as she typed her reply. “‘Kk, see ya soon.’” Message sent, she got off the bed and popped her knuckles. “Ready to go, lover boy?”

“No, let’s go.” He thinks for a second, and quickly applies the rarely used deodorant and takes a deep breath. “Lead the way Cupid.”

“I prefer Venus, thank you very much,” Bee said, with a grin as she walked out into the hall. “Let’s just hope we’re in the latter part of Aeneas’ myth.”

Juan rolled his eyes, but followed. “Sure wish I was smart enough to get that.”

End.