• Nobles of Null is a forum based roleplay site where sci-fi and magic collide. Here, Earth remains fractured and divided despite humanity reaching out to the stars. Worse still, the trans-human slaves of one major power have escaped, only to establish their own Empire, seething with resentment at abuses of the past. Even the discovery of aliens, though medieval in development, has failed to rally these squabbling children of Earth together with its far darker implications. Worse still, is the discovery of the impossible - magic. Practiced by the alien locals, nearly depleted and therefore rare, its reality warping abilities remains abstract and distant to the general populace. All the while, unseen in the darkness of space, forces from without threaten to press in. For those with eyes opened by insight, it is clear that an era is about to end, and that a new age will dawn.

Chapter 2 & 3 Intermission 3: Theban Tactics 1

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Coauthored by Acewing13, Ikate Keda Studios

???? A.D., After interrogation Edith Dussault

Aboard Daheim One

Joan sat in the mess hall, holding her head. Monty had been a doll and given her one of his hangover cures. She was still trying to collect her thoughts on everything that had happened.

“Morning,” Beatrix said, sitting down across from the older woman, propping her chin up with her hands. “So, you really didn’t do anything?”

"Nothing," Joan muttered, looking at Beatrix. "Why does ya care so much?" She asked taking another sip of her hangover cure, shuddering as she swallowed. "If ya fink 'e's so 'awt, why don't ya fuck him?"

“Ehh,” Bee said with a shrug. “He’s cute, but not really my type. But I do think you guys could work together. I mean, come on, he gets along with your kids, he apparently doesn’t take advantage of you when you’re drunk, sounds like an OTP to me.”

Joan groaned, covering her head. "Please stop reminding me why ‘e would be perfect," she mumbled. "Ah'm trying not ya be a lusty fucking scank 'ere," she sighed.

“How’d you be a skank if you got together?” Bee asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Does ya wan' da professional reason, aw da personal reason?" Joan asked, glaring at Beatrix.

“I got time for both,” Bee replied, smiling as she leaned forward.

Joan sighed, sitting back up. "When ah was in command with the GDW, ah had plenty of guys to choose from, and believe me what I wouldn't do to take them when I was there," she said, biting her lip. "Fuck, sometimes I found myself thinking even a couple of them at once wouldn't be a bad idea…" she grumbled, running her fingers through her hair in frustration.

“And you didn’t do all the hunky military boys?” Beatrix asked, holding her hand over her heart in mock shock. “For shame, for shame. Gotta hate the chain of command for ruining good times.”

"Exactly!" Joan almost shouted. "I couldn'' 'ouch em, an' so I 'ad my line, made i' clear, everyfing else was fair game! commen' on my bottle, say ah need ta ge' laid, jokingly offer ta 'elp, bu' when i give an awder, follah i'," she said, leaning back in her chair. "it wawked. No one crossed da line. New recrui's would join, an' da guys oo 'ad bin round would make sure dey knew da rule. I' was a system dat wawked, an' 'owed da line," she said.

“And that’s the beauty of our situation,” Bee said, sweeping a hand to indicate the rest of the ship. “We’re essentially specialized grunts, no strict chain of command, no stupid rules. Come on, we raided a brothel wearing stripper outfits yesterday.”

"Don'' you see 'ah dat da problem?" She asked, looking at Beatrix. "Wha if it don work?" She asked. "Wha' if tha stops our 'eam from wawkin as a co'eren' uni'. I may no' be in charge officially, bu' i'm still da one givin awders on da field," she said, leaning back and crossing her arms. "Awer wha' if i' does wawk ou'? 'e migh' pu' 'imself in unnecessary danjah 'o pro'ec' me, aw chip you ou' ta dry faw da same reason," she sighed. "It would be a nigh’mare…"

“Hmm,” Bee said, taking a moment to think that through. “Point, but from what I’ve seen, I don’t think Juan would let that happen. It does help that I’m the medic, so usually you need to keep me safe to patch up the rest of you.”

"Fink is worfless," Joan said flatly. "I can' do anyfing unless ah know, an' ah can'' know unless ah do it'. So ah can'' do it'," she grumbled.

“Come on,” Beatrix said, “You’re both adults. Just talk about it. Set your own rules, decide what you can and can’t do, but from the way you guys interact, I think there’s something there to be explored, at the very least.”

"Righ’ now, no," Joan said firmly. "Tha's no' even da personal reasons, an' ah've already go' enough ta stop me."

“What personal reasons?” Bee asked, pushing further.

"'e's a good guy, an' as far as ah can 'ell dere's nuffin wrong, bu' ah don'' knah if das jus' me vagina 'alking, an' once i ge' laid da lense will be removed an' i'll 'ate 'im," Joan said. "Plus, if ah make da decision, my nippahs 'ave ta be okay wif i', an' ah don' wan' ta ge' deir 'opes up jus' because ah needed ta ge' laid."

“Hmm,” Beatrix murmured, frowning for a moment as she got lost in thought. She then smirked and asked, “How much of your worry is that you’re just, shall we say, rusty?”

Joan shrugged. "Ah dun know…" she said, looking at Beatrix. "Probably a lo’? dere's only so much ba''eries can do faw a twist and twirl, an' i fink i go' dat poin' like, free years ago."

“Uh huh,” Bee said, smiling like a lioness that had cornered her prey, “So, why not take care of that part of the equation at least? Take the edge off your horniness and let you see things a little more clearly?”

Joan snorted, letting out a laugh. "With who? Monty is older than my dad, and all the other guys on the ship are taken or gay," she said, looking back at the counter.

Beatrix reached across the table and caressed the other woman’s cheek. “Who said anything about guys?” she asked with a raised eyebrow.

Joan furrowed her brow for a moment, then her eyes went wide as she realized what Beatrix was suggesting. "Uh… wow…" Joan said, getting flustered, leaning back. "Uh, I didn't think you swung that way Bee," she said, frowning. "I don't think i like you like that though…"

“I don’t really either, to be honest,” Beatrix said with a shrug. “As friends, yeah, I think we get along great. But I prefer guys to girls, usually. But this is a special situation,” she continued, clasping her hands together. “If I as a teammate can help you see clearer about your other relationship opportunities, then I think I’m duty bound to do so. Especially since I think you’d be oh so cute together.”

Joan looked away conflicted, and yet another frustrated groan escaped her throat. “I don’t know… That could fuck up the team too,” She said, crossing her arms. “I can’t believe I am actually considering it, but there’s just this… Vulnerability when it comes to sex. It changes things. You look at them and can’t help but think they’ve made you do all sorts of things… Like… Hey, girl who’s bent me over and made me squeal, go over there and get shot at! Looking and being like, ‘Oh hey, I had my tongue all up inside her,’ is totally a thought you should have when looking at someone who literally relies on you to get them out alive,” Joan said sarcastically, but a red tinge took her features.

“Have you ever heard of the Sacred Band of Thebes?” Bee asked, leaning forward in her chair.

“No…” Joan muttered, trying to avoid looking at Beatrix. Her face just got redder. “But I’m sure you’re about to tell me…”

“They were an ancient Greek fighting force made of gay guys that were literally paired together and fought side by side,” Beatrix said with a small smile. “Made them one of the most powerful fighting forces in Greek history. Hell, one of their biggest battles was one where they were outnumbered by a Spartan force and won in the most lopsided victory in Greek history! Against Sparta!”

Joan turned to glare at Beatrix. “Are… Are you suggesting that we have sex… So that we are a better fighting force?” She asked, dumbstruck.

“I’m saying that whether we let our recreation affect our professional conduct is entirely on us and is not as cut and dry as you suggested earlier,” Bee said, tapping the table with her finger in emphasis. “I’ll follow your orders whether or not we have some fun between the sheets. But I do think your confusion over your feelings with Juan needs to be cleared up sooner or later, or it will become a bigger problem that will affect our job. So, what do you say?” she asked with a smile, “Is it a date?”

Joan frowned, not liking that Beatrix had a point that her pining could also cause a problem that would affect the working relationship. She just couldn’t win. “Maybe…” She relented, looking away. “Not right now for sure… I need to think about something like this.”
“No problem,” Bee said, nodding absent-mindedly as she got lost in thought again. “I need to get prepared anyway. I’ll need to get some supplies to add to the experience. If it’s really been that long since you got laid, we need to make this a good one so you’re not so distracted by Juan’s abs.”

Joan once again buried her face in her hands. “Okay… How about we don’t talk about my sex life for like, five minutes okay?” She asked.

“Okay, Cowboy,” Beatrix said, patting the other woman’s head in sympathy. “I get it. Want some more ancient Greek history? Those were some of my favorite classes back in college. You wouldn’t believe some of the stuff they got up to.”

“Oh my god,” Joan groaned. “I swear to god, if I had a gun right now…”

Bee sighed and said, “You’d think I was talking to an American. Alright, alright,” she continued as she stood up, “I know when I’m not wanted. Need anything before I go? Water? Aspirin? Shoulder massage?”

“Silence please,” Joan whispered, laying her head on the table.

“Gotcha,” Beatrix whispered back, before walking out of the mess hall, smiling as she mentally added to her shopping list.

End.