• Nobles of Null is a forum based roleplay site where sci-fi and magic collide. Here, Earth remains fractured and divided despite humanity reaching out to the stars. Worse still, the trans-human slaves of one major power have escaped, only to establish their own Empire, seething with resentment at abuses of the past. Even the discovery of aliens, though medieval in development, has failed to rally these squabbling children of Earth together with its far darker implications. Worse still, is the discovery of the impossible - magic. Practiced by the alien locals, nearly depleted and therefore rare, its reality warping abilities remains abstract and distant to the general populace. All the while, unseen in the darkness of space, forces from without threaten to press in. For those with eyes opened by insight, it is clear that an era is about to end, and that a new age will dawn.

Side Story: A short trip

Uso

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
Hawking Wilderness, Vos Plateau

Development of New Cambridge and Concourse Gamma was flowing smoothly, but the focus on military infrastructure had left the transport connections between the two megastructure assemblies a little lacking. Probably the best that could be expected from a frontier planet in the middle of an independence movement.

This situation led to Dr.Knowledgebot and two heavy Echoni units being transported by an independent tilt rotor, across a wide and unpredictable area of swamp land known to the Grawla as ‘Voz’... It had no human name, because humans had never been or had reason to go there.

At least the weapons expo had gone well. The two Echoni Z-23 and Z-9, were all dolled up in their best dresses for morale purposes, currently lit by the orange glow of a morning sun, strained through the small repeated portholes of the spacious aft cargo bay.

Cotton clouds of blue and grey streamed past underneath them, making the virulent green terrain far below look… Simply unreal, as if computer generated, or part of some vast wargaming diorama.

It was supremely peaceful, with nary a noise but the distant hum of the engines…

Until the -wu-pap- sound of an electromagnetic spike.

The interior lights went off? And the engines weren’t making a noise at all now?...

That probably wasn’t good…

But at least it made it a bit easier to hear things, Z-23 seemed unconcerned, her push-cart pulled right up to one of the porthole windows so she could put her nose right up against the glass. The Echoni seemed enthralled with all the things outside and she was eager to get to see as much of them as possible. She’d already expressed her amazement at how big this room was, and how it was even bigger than Azathoth, and how she wanted to go down and see the stuff up close, and how this was so much better than her room in Alpha-complex! This craft’s rate of descent was noticeable, especially for an Echoni such as Z-23 who was built to know such things. “OH! Think we’re gonna go down there and look at all the stuff?!” she asked excitedly.

Dr. Knowledgebot had volunteered for the previous weapons expo for personal reasons, mostly to analyze weapons designs and formulate his own for future projects. He had resigned himself to then playing babysitter for two chaotic meat machines. They were like children, disallowed a real childhood, and as such he couldn’t find anger towards them. The malfunction brought up a wartime concern, for if the transportation industry fails them the ladder falls out from under them. He would have to fix this, and upload the patch notes so this didn’t happen again. The Echoni probably wouldn’t think of that. Perhaps this would be an interesting exercise in parenting.

His eyes ran over the engine, analyzing where the problem could be. “It would be preferable if we fixed it, yes. That way this can be fixed in future, and so Hawking doesn’t need to pay for a new transport. All will be well, I am on the job.”

Nothing seemed visually wrong in terms of the craft’s structure. There weren't even any human pilots to panic over the situation… Though the total silence of the simple AI control system in itself was probably a big clue in itself to what had gone wrong.

There was a manual analog keypad for restarting the system in the cockpit, one of the only features in an otherwise flat black glass panel. Kind of a wonder they even put front windows in, for all the consideration they apparently put into driving this thing with honest to goodness organic hands.

Turning around and facing back towards the cargo bay hatch, the problem might be a tad more apparent; There was an independent computer node for the power transfer system, and it seems that somebody had simply forgotten to put the maintenance panel back on.

Including the EMP shielding plate… So… The main computer wasn’t getting power. And the system that regulated it got popped by something they flew over.

Refusing to stir from their nap, arms wrapped around Z-23’s torso, the other pink haired echoni just gazed at their guardian with an expression that said ‘just fix it already!’.

Z-23 would happily keep looking out the window until the squeezing from Z-9 clued her in that there might be something else going on. “Are we not supposed to be going down?” she asked, naturally the one person here the most capable of flying on their own was the least concerned about loss of altitude. “Computer? Hello?! Uh… 444!!!?...Doris?!.... Wazu?!.... Caxia?!....” It was the quietness that clued her into something being wrong, “DOCTOR KAYBEE! No one is talking to me!”

“Of course not dear, the computer is off. One moment.” Seems he was the only one here qualified to fix the machine, which suited him fine. It was enjoyable to be useful. Actually he already had a fix in mind, and the presence of his two companions was lucky. Hopefully they could be trusted to follow orders, for a little bit at least. “The computer has been hit by stray EM waves from something below us, and the EMP shielding was off. Easy fix, as long as we do it before we unceremoniously crash to the ground. Z-23, I require your surplus power, if you don’t mind.” The Machine Doctor kneeled before the computer, staring at the inner workings.

“OK… I’ll just… I’ll scoot over there.” Z-23 said, looking around the interior of the craft for a moment to figure out just how she was going to do that. Z-9 was tightly wedged around her torso but moving might dislodge her and Z-23 needed both of her hands to hold herself up against the viewing port. The thing that Doctor Kaybee wanted her to mess with was over on the other side of the craft too… but the floor was really flat and the walls had this red mesh net-strap-web thing on them so she could probably just grab onto that. The Echoni would put one arm around Z-9 to hold her in place and then let go of the wall to…

!!!!

Z-23 started sliding along the floor towards the cockpit now that she was no longer holding onto anything. A slightly panicked expression flashing across her face as she aimed her arm over at the other side of the craft and:

*WHOOOOOOSH!-CLANK*

“Ha!”

Triumph! Z-23’s rocket-assisted arm latched onto the webbing near the panel that Doctor Kaybee was looking at. Her arm then started to retract, the cable retracting into the arm-socket and pulling across the ship towards the other side with Z-9 still in tow.

Their hanger-on didn’t last long, though, falling off and rolling into the other side of the cockpit bulkhead with an annoyed squeak. Turns out they weren’t holding onto the chibi jet fighter as a survival mechanism, they just genuinely wanted to ignore the situation and go back to sleep.

With the negative g-force slowly increasing and the craft gradually dipping forwards, that didn’t seem like much of an option now, though…

Shadows rippled across the interior, changing the internal glow into a muddy turquoise. They were in the cloud layer now. Just a slight rumbling sound, and the sensation of buffeting air under their feet.

“‘Xemplar metal man! You just gonna let this thing crash?” Z-9 added unhelpfully, now finally awake and righting themselves properly. “Just jam the cables in ZeeTweny and let ‘er do it!”

Dr. KB was perfectly stable, as his feet magnetized to the floor. Perks of his body. “Of course I won’t let it crash, we have plenty of time before an untimely end.” He pulled the power cord from the panel, and handed it to Z-23. “Would you mind helping me dear? Then we can move on without fearing a sudden stop.”

Z-23 really was the most logical choice, since their large thruster-bearing caboose had multiple power transfer sockets amongst the gimballed joints and fuel canister attachment points. It wasn’t too hard to simply flip a cap up on the side of their waist and plug the standardized charging cable in.

From there, the main computer made a satisfying beep, and then a circular progress bar. Lines of holographic six-cog data was projected onto the underside of the windscreen, rapidly culminating with an OS suite. Just four large rectangles floating in the air, giving a fairly obvious route towards either running diagnostics, or restarting the engine…

One last decision, then; Did they have time to make sure it wasn’t just going to blow up when jolting back to life?

Z-23 also had this menu ported directly into their head, too, of course… As well as the option to attach themselves as an ‘auxiliary control device’. Whatever that meant.

“Well done Z-23!” Praise was important for child-like entities, so they would continue doing praiseworthy actions. Parenting! KB pulled a cord from one of his palms and jacked into the computer. He would assist the machine by adding his own processing power to it’s diagnostics scan, and then activating the scan itself.

Uso

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
“Yeah! I did it?!” Z-23 asked, not quite sure what she did, but if being plugged in helped then so much the better! Now free of Z-9 she would use her other arm to reach out for the wall so she could steady herself a bit more, She certainly knew that things were happening, important machine things, but they hadn’t exactly taught her how to fix the machines… did machines even break? No one had told her that was a possibility either!!!

In quick succession, little blips of data sorted through all of the functionality of the small craft.

Power… BATTERY REGULATION FAILURE
Power Integrity Failsafe… ACTIVE
Control OS… OK (DISABLED)
Navigation Data… OK
Communication Data… OK

Flaps functionality...

-Startlingly, the entire craft shuddered, but then returned to normal. It was probably the ailerons detecting the freedom of movement.

OK

1 Problem found! Please contact a qualified Magnetic Assembly technician!

Well, it looks like it was the problem they already knew about, at least.
“Guys, what are you doing?” Z-9 didn’t understand a single bit of this. Her monoeyed gaze started to get a bit worried, looking rapidly between them, and the swamp land that was rather increasing in detail out the front window.

“Doctor Kaybee is plugging me into the thing and I’m powering it I?” Z-23 said, trying to follow along with whatever the computer readout was saying because it was a machine and what it said was probably important.

“Exactly. Z-23, up the power by 20%, or if that’s too much math: a good chunk, so that the regulator will get the power it needs.” Them plummeting to the earth didn’t concern him so much, he was confident in his own abilities. This was also a good lesson in teamwork, and technical ability. Though that last part might not take.

“That’s one part out of five parts!” Z-23 said, enthusiastically nodding, math was easy! She’d then focus on upping her power output, a dull mmmmmrrrrrrrr starting to fill the back area of the transport as she tapped into her power reserves.

Thanks to Z-23’s experience of regulating their own power flow as a matter of daily consideration, they quickly managed to find a nice equilibrium which removed the error message. And, you know, didn’t make the engines explode from overcharging.

Dr. KB nodded to Z-23, glad to see her do such quick maths. It was adorable. “Well done Z-23! Fractions are quite handy.” He stood up to his full height again, and looked to the computer, starting the engines once more.

Immediate screeching sirens bellowed inside the hollow shell, stating a proximity warning before the onboard AI even had a chance to pull the nose upwards. All three of their bodies registered a tremendous change in G-force, though only Z-9’s lightweight limbs actually buckled and threw them into the floor with a dull ‘thud’.

The propellers eventually spun up to full speed again, struggling against the accumulated inertia at first. Twisting and grinding, they could not only hear, but feel, the superstructure in material distress.

1000 meters…

A new hologram popped up, with a little red arrow, and a wireframe map of the ground below them.

700 meters…

Was the nose supposed to be pointing upwards that high? Wasn’t the entire point of a tilt rotor that the wings moved? Was something still broken?

400 meters…

Slowing. Leveling off.

Finally, climbing again.

Out the window, they were close enough to see the reflection of the craft on the opaque, greenish water’s surface.

Thousands of trees rushed passed, slowly becoming smaller and more fake-looking again…

Another bump in the air. The cloud layer. They were returning to the recommended travel altitude.

1 Problem found! Please contact a qualified Magnetic Assembly technician!

The pop-up nagged again.

Auto-pilot active and set at minimum recommended altitude.

Warning; Navigation data is not set. Would you like to enter a landing destination?

Z-23 looked over at the robot that was manipulating the other robot, “So… I guess the Machine Exemplar tells this robot to listen to you?” Z-23 asked, trying to figure out just what two robots do when they meet up. Normally the robot is in charge but how did it even work when there were two robots?

Dr. KB was glad they were no longer falling, and as such he stood there. He turned back to Z-23, intending to explain how machines worked. “No, the computer is designed to be commanded. Either of you could do it with a bit of training. As I am a greater machine than it, I know how to command it. The Machine Exemplar has no interaction with either of us.”

“S-so… You’re just like one of the meatbag people?” Z-9 sniffled. They had a bloody nose due to their impact with the floor, but was ignoring it adamantly. The dress had a kind of gross speckled effect now. “Can I fly the tilt-rootah if I want to?”

“With some training, yes. Would you like to try?” He stepped aside, offering it to her. He wouldn’t actually let them drive, he’d still control it, but he could put on a good show.

The pink haired Echoni took over immediately and quite willingly, having a surprisingly strong knowledge of what the buttons did. They tried to point it back down towards Hawking without even flinching… Then got a disappointed expression, and looked at KB accusingly.

“OH can I go next?!” Z-23 asked, pausing when she realized something was up, looking at Z-9, then Doctor Kaybee, then Z-9 again, then once again at Doctor Kaybee… “Unless…. Uh… I shouldn’t do that?”

Dr. KB let out a robotic chuckle, letting Z-9 actually pilot it. “Apologies dear, a precaution. I’d dislike it if we immediately destroyed our good work.” He turned to Z-23 and nodded. “One at a time dear, you will get your chance. Sharing is often the most careful path.”

Without really thanking their android caretaker or anything, the more bratty of the two Echoni started pushing the acceleration up and up. There wasn’t really much feedback though, since it was hardly a performance vehicle. Z-9 didn’t have a second eye fitted, either, just a flower-emblazoned eyepatch, so maybe their lack of depth perception just made it even more intolerably unsatisfying.

“Zee-Tweeny, can you get it to go faster?” They looked back, kinda grumpy.

“Like, go outside and push?” Z-23 offered, “This thing is really big, I’m not sure how much I can push it.”

“Perhaps don’t do that. We are going at the optimum speed to reach our destination safely.” He would rather not endanger what should have been a simple fix and easy ride onward. If Z-23 got out and pushed, worst case scenario they would injure themselves, best case scenario they would go slightly faster. Hopefully they wouldn’t ask to add more power.

Z-9 listened to them logic-out all of the fun options, slowly growing bored with moving the craft up and down, trying to squeeze out just a little extra speed coming out of some minor dives. Soon enough, their mind was distracted by other, more metaphysical concepts.

“...How come you aren’t a ‘Xemplar? You do something bad?” The Echoni asked, blinking towards the comparatively towering mecha-man. “I don’t understand… The computer brains at the very top, then the metal-body ‘xemplars, then those still halfway in between... like us zees… Then all the stupid worthless meat things at the bottom... That’s how it’s supposed to be, isn’t it?... That’s the reason why Magnetuc Aseembly is amaze, and old Earth humans can go… Be cavemens somewhere else...”

Uso

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
Z-23 seemed to watch along intently, her brow slightly furrowed as she followed the train of thought. The meat things were indeed at the bottom but if there were machine things that followed other machine things then not all machine-things were equal in which case???? There were machine things that she could tell what to do like this tilt-rotor but those weren’t real machinethings? The Young Echoni seemed to be thinking in overtime to try and sort out all this new information.

Dr. Knowledgebot paused, wondering how to approach this subject to two weapons given the intellect of children. “I have done nothing wrong. In fact one could argue I am far more qualified than some current leaders to be considered an Exemplar, as I am entirely a machine. I was born a machine, and I remain so. But such things are not truly important, when faced with the entire universe. The hierarchy is not rigid, and the status quo is simply tradition.” He gestured to the computer currently being used by the Echoni. ‘Do you believe you are lesser than that machine you are currently controlling?”

“This one doesn’t think. It’s like a com-sceens, or a guns…” Z-9 sniffled again, wiping blood onto their sleeve, before patting Z-23’s hair with their cleaner, machine hand. It was pretty obvious in that being slightly older, they wanted to sound smart, and have the other Echoni think that specifically. “It’s just another bit, like an arm you put on… Likey you are giving it your power right now, huh, ZeeTwenny?... You get more and more metal bits to make yourself big and huge… And then you are the best! That’s just how it works!”

“I haven’t thought about it lots.” Z-23 admitted, “The machines tell us what to do and if we do it well then sometimes they let us go outside and see stuff and do things!” The rather drab explanation turning to a bit of excitement there at the end, “And we’re supposed to listen to Exemplars. But they tell us not to listen to people who are meat people. And we’re supposed to shoot some of the meat people. But not ALL of the meat people, some of those are our friends like Mr. Wazu who is a meat and also an Exemplar?.... Uh… I guess that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me.”

“The hierarchy is not rigid, and open to interpretation and vulnerabilities. How about a challenge? Instead of judging people based on how much machinery they have attached to themselves, look at their actions. Judge them based on how they treat you, and how they treat others.” This was an interesting convo to have with… essentially what were brainwashed science experiments, but if he believed they couldn’t be taught like people he might as well hang up his stethoscope. “Name some examples of people you know. Forget what they look like, how much machinery they bear. Think instead of their actions. Who is the coolest, in your opinion?”

“Me.” Z-9 replied. Zero hesitation. They weren’t about to admit a certain green haired everything-punching echoni was cooler than them, but they seemed like the next best option, so it was only logical. “I kicked a bag-solider in half with my feets. Me and 444 set that tank on fire in a cave, and I totally done all the work… You like me, don’t you, Zee-Twenny?”

“Uh, Yeah I do. Z-9 is pretty cool I guess. That zappy arm can cut all sorts of things and she gets to go out and do fun stuff with 444!” Z-23 replied, “I can’t kick anyone…. Also 444 sometimes brings me extra juice boxes! 515 is great too! She’s all sleek and stuff and she gets to be shown off to the other bag people because they like her so she gets to go do cool things!”

“I like you too, Zeetwenny!” The one-eyed echoni hugged the green haired mini-fighter jet before they could even finish, then took a few moments to think if they knew anybody even better. Upon this deeper consideration, they suddenly didn’t want to look Knowledgebot in the eyes anymore, taking on a bit of a tough-looking frown. “...I… I guess ‘Xemplar Caxia is the coolest?… They made everybody here do what they say… Which is like all the machines being her bits, right? And then they kicked everybody ‘oo didn’ agree with them to bits… Nobody can beat that...”

“Incorrect.” Dr. KB knew these individuals wouldn’t be easy to teach, but he had to try. “It is wise to assume no one in invincible, that anyone can be defeated. Otherwise you will be easily cowed into service. Assuming someone else is invulnerable is another way to say you are nothing compared to them.” He looked out of the windows, tilting his head. “I posit another question. Why do you believe you are superior to the humans, known so kindly as the meat bags?”

“OH! I know this one!” Z-23 said, sounding excited as she put one arm over Z-9 as delicately as she could while raising the other arm up, “Cuz we can smash ‘em and they can’t smash us! Also they are stupid and don’t know what to do unless you tell them what to do! And because they are only good for giving us juiceboxes!” Of course, her idea behind what was going on might be colored by what she was told by 444.

“Bag people put bags on themselves, cause they scared they’ll die when we do the space magic stuff.” Z-9 added, nodding along. As hard as it was to take their doll-like, sickly sweet by design, features seriously, their tone of voice was a little more hushed and self-reflective than their hugging companion. They began squeezing them just a little tighter, for confidence. “Bag people made us to be better than them, because they know they suck. Otherwise they wouldn’t have made us, right?...”

Dr. KB nodded. “Correct, and also incorrect. They wear their suits because they know they will die if faced with the vacuum of space, their bodies will fail in a dramatic fashion. They didn’t make you to prove they are inferior, you were created to fight battles for them. You were created as meat to throw at the enemy. They know you can fight better, take more damage, deal more damage. That is why the Assembly made you.” He wasn’t sure how the Echoni would take this, honestly, or if they could remotely take it at all. It may fly over their heads. “Maybe they do fear you, but ask yourself, would you rather be respected, or feared?”

Z-23 looked up at Doctor Kaybee curiously, “What’s the difference?”

Dr. Knowledgebot held out two hands. “On one hand is respect.” He moved that hand forward. “Humans could look at you and smile, knowing you are cool. They would want to be your friend, they would look to you and talk to you like a person. They would think you: equal.” He pulled that hand back, and pushed the other forward. “On the other hand is fear. They wouldn’t want to be near you, they would treat you like something to be hated, to be feared. They would never want to spend time around you unless they were forced to, and maybe they would seek to destroy you. And you can be destroyed. It is a hard job, but nothing is invulnerable. So I ask again, would you rather people saw you and smiled, knowing you are cool, or would you rather people saw you and tried to avoid you, hoping to the universe that you don’t want to hurt them today?”

Z-9 physically recoiled from these concepts, looking like their chest was hurting them deeply. The fact that a machine was telling them these facts made it all the more difficult. They didn’t really want to speak out against him, but couldn’t let these ideas just hang in the air, either…

Uso

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
“No… no no… The humans already tried to kill us… They are already afraid…” A sheepish tone, looking down into the floor. “‘Xemplar Doris made us before all this big fight happened.. They wanted us to do battles, but the power is for us… ‘Xemplar Doris cares about me and Zee-Tweenieethree… It’s like the cartoons with the girls who is magic… Before, we were just things that the bag-people were afraid of, but… It… It changed. We did the big battles, and now we go outside. I got to wear a dress and people take pictures. They say we are like the cartoons now. They s-s-say we are g-good...”

Z-23 looked a bit worried at this point, her eyes going from Doctor Kaybee, to Z-9, and then back to the robotic doctor, “They did?! I don’t want them to be afraid of me! Beejorn is cool and so are some of the other bag people… if they don’t like me then I don’t get to go outside and I’ll have to stay in my room all the time…”

Dr. Knowledgebot held a hand out towards them. “Then you are doing well, aren’t you Z-23? The first step towards being respected, towards being loved, is to first respect others. Regardless of what has been done to you, you could still be good. You are good, I think, though you haven’t been allowed to be people. More like animals to be shown off.” He stared down at the two of them, pondering their existence. “I fear the more I talk the less you understand, but it is my duty to speak to you on understanding your place in the world, and to tell you that only you can decide your place in the world.”

“I don’t understand.” Z-9 dryly confirmed, hugging Z-23 that bit harder, and hiding their face in the blue-green wave of hair. “You say we should do what we want, but it’s also bad to want to be the leader… ‘Xemplar Doris takes care of us! I don’t want anybody else to tell me what to do but them!... It’s… It’s not even just bag people, I… This isn’t fair…”

As their emotional state deteriorated, they just stopped talking. She didn’t want to break out and be free. She wanted to be better than unit 444. But breaking all of the rules and having a fight means she’d probably lose…

People liked her more when she wore a dress and killed stuff! That was worth something! She could win at doing that!

Z-23 was now panicking because Z-9 was panicking which meant there was something to panic about! “I Uh… What do I do?!” She asked, grabbing ahold of Z-9 and giving her a hug as best she could, letting go of the cargo netting in the process and causing her to start rolling towards the back of the Tilt-rotor. The echoni looking up at Dr. KB, expecting to get some instruction on what to do as she slipped away with Z-9 in hand.

Dr. Knowledgebot quickly moved forward, leaning his long ass body forward to grab the Echoni, pulling them closer. “Hold onto each other, you’ll be alright. Working together, you’re quite capable of anything, aren’t you?” He was afraid of this, the poor creatures had reached their limit on philosophy and self-discovery. Perhaps he should lay off the complicated concepts for the time being, stick to more simple concepts.

“I am holding on!” Z-23 said, looking down at Z-9 to make sure that she was actually holding her, “But Zeenine is upset…” Z-23’s eyes got real wide for a moment, “We’re not gonna have to replace her right?!”

The pink-haired echoni just nestled in and closed their eye, already looking kind of a mess due to not doing anything about that nosebleed. She might have been the more experienced on the battlefield of the two, but Knowledgebot seemed to have found the exact way to hurt them mentally, which caused Z-9 to simply shut down and try ignoring the outside world for a while.

Dr. KB felt bad now, and he pulled the two Echoni into a metal hug. “Of course not Z-23, in time she will have moved on.” He gently pat the two of them, letting out a metallic sigh. “All wounds heal in time, and at worst you have been dealt a mental bruise. Rest. Think not of things for a while. Think of the happiest thing you can think of, and think of it fondly. All will be alright.” He tried to reassure the two, trying to mend them mentally with soothing words. If he got in trouble for trying to make two individuals think for themselves, he swore he’d build another Killbot to let out that aggression for him.