• Nobles of Null is a forum based roleplay site where sci-fi and magic collide. Here, Earth remains fractured and divided despite humanity reaching out to the stars. Worse still, the trans-human slaves of one major power have escaped, only to establish their own Empire, seething with resentment at abuses of the past. Even the discovery of aliens, though medieval in development, has failed to rally these squabbling children of Earth together with its far darker implications. Worse still, is the discovery of the impossible - magic. Practiced by the alien locals, nearly depleted and therefore rare, its reality warping abilities remains abstract and distant to the general populace. All the while, unseen in the darkness of space, forces from without threaten to press in. For those with eyes opened by insight, it is clear that an era is about to end, and that a new age will dawn.

Q&A General

CadetNewb

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
Well, considering how my current job as a medical professional in this day and age has me pretty beat and tired, I decided (with a lot of poking) that this would be a good way to answer questions regarding the setting that anyone had. I'll give my two cents, and if the answer I give is unsatisfactory or worth further discussion, we can do that too. As always, if you got lots of questions, please organize them. We have the list-thing that will even number it for you, so use that. Starting us off, I was asked,

Question:
  1. What is the Daqin Empire doing right now? (somewhere around the time the Empress has been kidnapped and the subsequent war starting)
  2. Who are the Empire's Major Players?
Answers:
  1. Off the top of my head, the thing that comes to mind first would be the rescue and 'rescue' attempts regarding the Empress where they either genuinely try to rescue her, or use it as an opportunity to grab more power/prestige. Related to that, the Empire would also be putting pressure on the various other nations to either support them, or at the least stay out of the fight they're throwing down with the Heaven Forged Republic. The American Union is a consumer state and likely buys a lot of high-end goods from the Empire, while the Commonwealth/GDW and Soyuz are already badly hurt from their own recent war. Plots and schemes within the Heaven Forged Republic are likely going ahead after being planted years if not decades ahead now as well. Meanwhile, on more civilian topics, they're likely pursuing the search and colonization of other resource rich systems more aggressively should their home-system fall. The same would likely go for their research into magic on Tiāntáng, especially since it's the purpose of the sole Daqin city there - trading with the Aos Si for knowledge of magic.
  2. The major players of the Empire would include the unnamed-as-of-yet Five Tiger Generals, a fun nod to the Chinese military culture. Additionally, there would be the various governors of space-habitats and also captains of industry. Given how diverse a nation's military and civilian sector can be, there's a lot of potential intrigue when political lobbying can include cloaks and daggers.

Uso

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
3: Are the Daqin doing any exploration of star systems that are even more further-out?

And

4: Are the other Daqin factions mostly split on ideological grounds, or just 'I want power' grounds?

CadetNewb

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
Answers:

3. Yes, the Daqin are doing exploration of star systems that are even further out than before. The more "Libensraum" they have, the more resources they have to leverage against the others. However, Wofleonium is perhaps the most important resource, as ships without it are less tactically capable.

4. Yes, the Daqin are split along ideological grounds as well as "I Want Power" grounds. For an example, some genuinely want to make peace with humanity, even though their own perspective is benign yet racist.