• Nobles of Null is a forum based roleplay site where sci-fi and magic collide. Here, Earth remains fractured and divided despite humanity reaching out to the stars. Worse still, the trans-human slaves of one major power have escaped, only to establish their own Empire, seething with resentment at abuses of the past. Even the discovery of aliens, though medieval in development, has failed to rally these squabbling children of Earth together with its far darker implications. Worse still, is the discovery of the impossible - magic. Practiced by the alien locals, nearly depleted and therefore rare, its reality warping abilities remains abstract and distant to the general populace. All the while, unseen in the darkness of space, forces from without threaten to press in. For those with eyes opened by insight, it is clear that an era is about to end, and that a new age will dawn.

Chapter 6: Page v. Ambrose

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Co-authored by: Ray of Meep (GM), Acewing13, Ikate Keda Studios, TheCountryWarrior

23XX A.D, two months after the raid on the warehouse

Silbern System, Stahl Belt, Nikolaus Otto dwarf-planetary system, Magnuski Station

The Maybach Ring is the oldest of the modern rings of the station, with the central tube visible and a line of lights illuminating the habitable surfaces. Due to its age, it hosts the governing body of the station and the de-facto government of the Silbern system as a whole, along with an embassy and multiple courthouses.

The Lancers were driven to the Maybach Civil Courthouse in a private shuttle with one way windows. A few drones diligently followed them, recording their movements and broadcasting it all live on the various GDW media platforms. Ulrike helplessly watched it all on her datapad. Somehow, the general public was made aware of the custody battle, and by extension, the presence of her mercenary team on the station.

"Does dat li'el 'appen round 'ere dat ma custody ba'le gets televised?" Joan asked, looking out the window of the car. "Ah mean really? Dis is a lot o' atten'ion fer a custody ba'el," She added, looking at Ulrike.

"Well, besides the occassional pirate raid, things are pretty peaceful in the Silbern system." Ulrike put her datapad down and looked back at Joan. "You've got plenty of bored kids who'll stick their drones on anything eventful."

"However," she continued, "Consider that a hostage crisis did happen a few months ago, and people know we're here as mercs. They want to know everything about us, espeacially the sweet, sweet drama." She forced out a chuckle.

"Well, dey kin suck an egg fer all ah care," Joan sighed, shaking her head. "Dis is gonna be terrible..."

"No, this will be fine. They'll have forgotten this by next week, there's gotta be a whole shit ton of more interesting things happening around here." Juan looked out the window to the drones, and sighed. "Media vultures."

Aesthetically, the courthouse was a traditional, ancient design which itself was based off even more archaic Greco-Roman designs, a bulky and tall prismatic shape, slightly slanting rooftop, with columns guarding the main entrance. However, behind the structurally insignificant columns and the false white brick was the main airtight, steel box that the Lancers saw in their hostage resuce mission with every opening, door and window alike, outfitted with emergency airlock shutters that could come down within seconds.

They stopped in the basement parking lot that spanned the entire ring. Eberhard got out of the shuttle first wearing sunglasses wearing a black suit. Ulrike followed with her own sunglasses and her own grey suit and dress pants. Parked next to them was Captain Rain and a couple other of Joan's co-workers. Roughly a hundred feet away stopped Tyler, his lawyer, and his own co-workers.

Entrance to the court was only a dozen feet away from the Lancers, but Tyler's team were already walking over. Tyler was in a typical suit. As he walked past, he gave both Joan and Juan the stink eye. Following him was his lawyer. The lawyer specifically was a woman with brown hair who didn't look past her thrities, mixed Asian-Caucasian descent, clearly Earth-born with a relatively stout body like the Lancers, donning a flamboyantly blue suit and a skirt. She took off her sunglasses and switched to a normal pair of glasses, a pair of leery black eyes.

Joan kept herself stoic, adjusting her uniform tunic, but it wasn't hard to tell that was purely to stop herself from cumpling like some wet tissue trying to stand on it's side. "Is dere seriously nuffin else 'appenin?" She grumbled, shaking her head. "It feel like one o' dem cheesy law shows. Now all we needs is fer dem ta 'ave us in da big courtroom where dey 'old da murder trials," She said, starting to walk towards the stairs.

"And then there's either a twist, or the rich guy get's off scot free or something. Or a second murder. And me without my notepad of one liners." Juan chuckled, ignoring Tyler, the horse's ass.

"I'll do my best to make it a successfully boring day," Julian said as he and Beatrix walked to the group, brushing at imaginary wrinkles on his suit.

Eberhard looked at his friend at put a hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry about it." He glanced at the drones and looked at Ulrike, who nodded. "Given how few of these things are, these aren't from big media. If it really was the Magnuski Times on our asses we'd have more than just a few cameras looking at us."

"Den let's get dis ovah wif," Joan sighed, starting to walk.

The Lancers followed Tyler's cohort up the narrow stairwell, made of cheap concrete but decorated with planetary scenery, and entered the first floor of the courthouse. The whole interior was designed to give a homey, Earthly feel, with false wooden walls and carpet, ambient pale light gently lighting the hallways and rooms. On a bench sat an ungracious old lady, tapping her foot impatiently as she smacked on a piece of gum. She couldn't have been more than five feet tall, with a visible metal implant in her spine, but otherwise wore a plain grey suit and dress similar to Ulrike's get up. Her silvered, brown hair was tied up in a bun and, old as she may look, her blue eyes glistened as if she wasn't past her fourties.

"Yer fuckin' late, Tyler." The old lady spat out, then glared at Joan. "You too, lassey. You don't say a peep for two decades and this is the shite you get yourself dragged into? Fuckin' pull these poor legs of mine half a dozen light years through space. I hate space, you know that?!"

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Joan froze, her jaw hanging open as she started at the woman. "M-mum?" She asked,

"Well 'oo else would ah be?" Joan's mother said, narrowing her eyes. "Run off wifout saying a fing, 'ave two kids in turn inta a killer fer 'ire." She sighed. "Ah swear Trixie, ya could try a li'el 'arder ta not git yerself killed."

Joan just stood there, unable to come up with words but was having a hard time, her jaw working up and down as a plethora of emotions crossed over her features, before going stoic again. "Ah'm 'onestly not surprised yer 'ere wif Tylah. Dough, given da time, ah'm not sure why 'e bovvahed," she said, before quickly walking past.

"Ah'm 'ere doing what's best fer yer kids," Joan's mother said, but Joan didn't respond. She just started walking faster.

Juan felt no love for this woman already. This woman that had proven she had not been capable of raising children in any profession but her own, had no right to tell her child she was failing as a mother. Juan kept walking, jaw set.

"Wait," Beatrix said, looking between mother and daughter, "Is that why she was embarrassed when Julian called me Trixie?"

Juan kept striding forward, ward, and sighed. "Yes Bee." Making sure that harpy wasn't in ear shot, he spoke. "Joan doesn't like it, for personal reasons. Just don't call her that. You're smart, you've got this."

Julian sighed, before saying, "Come on, let's go," taking Bee's hand. He nodded to the older lady, then started towards the courtroom's entrance.

This particular courtroom was a relatively small affair, only slightly bigger than the average adolescant classroom. Three rows of seats were blocked by a small gate, separating them from two tables, each with two seats, in front of which was the judge bench and the witness stand. Regions on the perimeter of the room were marked by orange painted lines, behind which the camera drones settled, popping out tripods while battery drones recharged them.

The judge was already waiting with his staff. He was a middle aged fellow with greying hair and a puffy beard. Tyler's cohort, including Joan's mother, sat on one side of the rows while the Lancers gravitated towards the other. Tyler and his lawyer, and Joan and Julian, went to the two front tables.

"Is everyone settled? If so, let's get started." The judge initiated. "Today's meeting is to settle the custoday rights between the applicant Tyler Page and the respondant Trixie Ambrose regarding two children, Jacob Ambrose and Miranda Ambrose. Applicant lawyer Amanda Wang, you may now begin your opening statement."

"Thank you, your honor." Tyler's lawyer stood up, and spoke in an audibly American tone. "It has to be acknowledged that my client, Tyler Page, has been absent from his children for six years, missing a key stages of their development, failing to provide critical paternal support."

"However, my client did not do so without reason. He traveled from the Sol system to GDW's outer colonies as an entrepreneur, attempting to carve out a better life for his family in the long run. Indeed, examination of my client's records in the military shows that he is a highly intelligent and efficient man, rising to the rank of Lieutenant in the GDW Space Command as a cyberwarfare engineer before his departure. Academy records reveal he has aced every class and earned multiple honors per the recommendations of his professors and commanders."

Juan rolled his eyes, whispering to himself. "Leaving out the part where he robbed his family for as much as he could take."

"Mr. Page is not without setbacks. His entrepreneural endeavors ultimatley failed, resulting in unemployment that led him to Magnuski Station. Here, he quickly picked himself up with the help of Mrs. Grau, ---"

"Damn straight I helped him get his shit together!" Ulrike typed to the Lancers on her data pad.

"--- earning himself the position of the head of cybersecurity in the Geigen Ring Precinct, a mere few months after his entrance as a technician. Mr. Page will have both the finances and the wisdom to raise his children properly, and more importantly, in a safe environment without danger. I'm afraid the same cannot be said for Ms. Ambrose. That will be all, your Honor."

The Judge nodded. "Alright. Respondant Laywer Julian Cross, you may now make your opening statement."

"Thank you, your honor," Julian said, standing up and pushing his glasses back to the top of his nose. "Being a parent is many things in this universe," He started off, sliding his hands into his pockets confidently. "What truly marks the sign of a truly spectacular parent is their willingness to do anything in their power to make sure their kids have a happy life, so long as they remain within the law of course," He said, holding up a hand in a passive gesture.

"Joan Ambrose," Julian continued, taking the slightest glance down at the page, "A former G.D.W Captain, honourably discharged with distinction no less, has in her life done things us citizens would squirm to the thought of. She has killed people, regularly, doing her duty to the citizens of the G.D.W, and in that line of duty has put her very life on the line. To the point where she is currently struggling tooth and nail to climb out of a level of debt that would likely cripple every single person in this courtroom combined, barring a very small number of exceptions, after suffering wounds so terrible the fact she is currently alive is a miricle our society has yet to master." He said, looking at Joan. "But despite that all, she has been a mother first and a soldier second in every interaction I have heard spoken of her."

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
The man turned to face the prosicution. "However. Tyler Ambrose, a former Warrant Officer of the G.D.W Military Cyber Warfare Division, abandoned his career to go to the other side of the Galaxy and start a pub, siphoned money out of their shared joint account, then used that money attempt and beat the mother of his children into submission when she refused to go with him," He said accusatoriily.

"When his plans to take the children, leading Joan to follow out of desperation of losing her kids-"

Amanda stood up. "Objection your honor, baseless assumption to motivation!"

"Sustained," The Judge said, looking at Julian. "Keep it in the facts please."

"Of course your honour," Julian nodded his head, giving Joan who looked a little panicked a reassuring smile. "Used the money to challenge the Mother of his children for custody, and lost, obtaining only minimal rights. Despite this, he left anyway, abandoning the mother of his children, who relied on him for emotional, and financial support, his children, who relied on him for guidance, especially with the youngest being a new born, left the system, and his family in financial ruin."

Julian sighed. "Despite all of this, Joan Ambrose didn't stop. She climbed out of the debt she was left in by her former partner, and in a horrific tale, was gutted completely by a Pirate Chongwu in a horrific display, of which the proceedures to keep her alive to continue being the fantastic mother she has been forced her into mercenary work. She still continues to help teach her children with their school work, teach them about life, and teach them true right from wrong, along with all the most beautiful and ugly facets those two concepts carry with them."

The judge paused to consider the arguments then nodded. "Very well, in that case we will now move onto the witness questioning. Mr. Cross, you may bring forward your first witness."

"Thank you, your honour," Julian said, standing up. "I would like to address Beatrix Simmons. Beatrix has known Joan for a few months now, and has had gone on multiple missions with her," He said.

"Guess I'm up," Bee said under her breath, taking a deep breath before standing up and walking over to the witness stand.

Julian cleared his throat. "Ms Simmons. Could you please first tell us how long you and Ms Ambrose have known each other?" He asked.

"Hmm," Beatrix said, looking up at the ceiling ticking off months. "Right around a year now. Time flies."

"And in that time," Julian asked, "What would you say the worst interaction you've ever seen happen between Ms Ambrose and her children? Anything that could be considered cruel, abusive, or neglectful."

"Probably one of the first interactions I had with her and her kids," Bee said. "Some of the ship's guards had gotten it into their heads that they were going to teach Jacob how to shoot a gun. Joan didn't like that when she found out and cussed out the guards while the kids stood to the side. I gave the guards an out and they and the kids left, then I talked to Joan for a while."

"Did she yell at the kids?" Julian asked simply.

"Uh, yes, she did," Beatrix replied.

"Would you consider her actions extreme or unnecessary?" Julian asked.

"I mean," Bee said, pausing as she thought through what to say. "Not really. I'd yell at children that I told to not handle weapons."

"Thank you Ms. Simmons, that'll be all from me," he said, sitting down.

"Ms. Wang, you may now begin your cross exmination." The judge nodded to Tyler's lawyer.

"Thank you, your honor." She stood up in turn and paced in front of Beatrix. "Ms. Simmons, if I heard correctly, Ms. Ambrose openly used profanity in front of her children?"

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
"Yeah," Beatrix said with a shrug.

"And remind me how old Jacob and Miranda are?"

"Twelve and six," Bee replied.

The lawyer nodded. "And those two guards who received the ire of Ms. Ambrose, are they here with us today?"

"Objection!" Julian quickly said, standing up. "It is not the witnesses job to keep track of other witnesses."

"Sustained. Ms. Wang, keep to directly relevant questions for the witness." The judge ordered.

"Of course." Unfazed, Tyler's lawyer asked Beatrix once again. "Ms. Simmons, you said you'd scold children if the acted inappropriatley, after warned by their parents. In this case, would it be morally justified then to curse out two fellow adults in front of a child in his impressionable years, instead? Do you think it is responsible as a parent, to send your child the message: that it is justified to verbally abuse another person when they have done wrong?"

"Morally justified?" Beatrix said, tilting her head to the side in confusion. "I mean, it's not the best message to send. You usually don't give great messages when you're pissed off. If I only paid attention to messages that my parents gave me when they were pissed off, hoo boy, would I be the biggest piece of...garbage in the system."

"But you'd still agree that this anger, the lack of constraint for it, doesn't set a good example then?" Ms. Wang retorted.

"...Yes," Bee said, looking like she had just bitten into a lemon.

The lawyer nodded with a faint satisfaction, and turned to the judge. "That will be all, your honor."

The judge replied, "In that case Ms. Simmons may take a seat now. Ms. Wang, bring up your witness please."

"I call on Tyler Page himself." Amanda Wang notioned to Tyler, who stood up humbled and exchanged positions with Beatrix in the witness position.

Julian placed a hand on Beatrix's shoulder as she walked by, whispering to her quietly. She nodded, still frowning as she sat down.

Tyler sat down, looking oddly relaxed for this entire ordeal. A little too sure of himself all things considered.

Juan watched Tyler, seeing his confidence. He must have had an in, something he thought was a surefire shot to winning. What did he have planned?

"Mr. Page, describe your time with your children before your departure, please." His lawyer opened.

Tyler nodded his head, leaning back. "I won't say I was the greatest father on the planet. I was young, and while I loved every moment I spent with them, my mind was less focused on them, and more focused on providing them a secure future, hence why I went to start my bar. To get it situated and allow it to grow so that they could take it over and not want for anything when they were older," He said, looking at Joan. "It may have succeeded if I had help." Joan's mouth went thin as she bit back the urge to snap at him.

"Describe this time you spent as an entrepreneuer then." Wang continued.

"I don't know what there is to explain," Tyler said with a shrug. "I mean, I got the bar set up, and I had patrons coming in, but I had to pay staff to help me run things. Unfortunately I didn't have the most trustworthy of people working for me, and working 70 plus hours a week making sure everything was going well I was wiped. I didn't realize I was being robbed by my staff until it was too late," He said with a frown. "It didn't help that I had lost the love of my life and the ability to see my own children, all because she wanted to stay in the military, putting herself in situations where any day she could be gone forever. There were many months where it was just me and Jacob at home, while Joan was on assignment."

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
"So you weren't able to operate mentally to your fullest potential when you didn't get to see your children. Describe your experience then, starting from three months ago when you finally reunited with them." Wang inquired.

"It seemed like it was fate," Tyler said simply. "I mean, I wasn't in a good place, eve with how fantastic the G.D.W is, sometimes it is very hard to eat, and that's how I ran into Joan," He said, laughing a little. "She decided to greet me with a tackle, arrest, and then punched me in the face," He said, looking at Joan.

"Ya said ya deserved dat," Joan growled before Julian could stop her, but the man did get her to stop with a quiet apology to the Judge.

"Eh," Tyler said. "Doesn't mean it was right," He said waving his hand. "Though I forgave her, we spoke and elected to try again. I thought things were going well, until I realized Joan was having an affair with one of her teammates, Juan Paddock. I was working up the courage to confront her about it when I caught wind of them going on that warehouse mission, and how it wasn't sanctioned I made the elective decision it was not a safe place for my children to be. I took them so that they could be raised by someone who could properly teach them right from wrong."

Juan smirked. That was a lie. They hadn't done jack shit while she was with Tyler, so why did he lie? Was he not sure? Just grasping at straws? Did he have some sort of fake evidence? His smirk faded. Of course the bastard would have fake evidence, if he was coming into this court with just the facts he'd know it wouldn't be so sure? Was that his plan? For Juan to accuse Tyler of lying, and for Tyler to suddently whip out some doctored evidence?

"This arrest you speak of..." Wang turned to the judge. "Your honor, may I display footage of the incident?"

"Granted." He replied. Wang used her data pad to throw a projection onto the wall.

"I'd really like to see th-" What was shown was a disheveled Tyler handcuffed, facing sheepishly at the camera, before he was punched in the mouth by a right hand fist that came into view, throwing him into the ground.

"Yeah..." Tyler muttered, squirming into a sitting position. "I deserved that."

"Ya fucking well know ya did!" Joan's voice came through. Another hand entered view to pull Tyler up. "Ya put me in yer dusties frough fuckin 'ell, abandon dem ta go cross da fucking galaxy fer a stupid fuckin bar, in now yer 'ere shopliftin! You lowlife piece o' dirt!" The right hand balled up into a fist before it exited view again, only for the view to turn suddenly to a helmeted police officer who grabbed Joan by the wrist.

Wang looked back at the judge as she cut off the tape. "What was shown was Ms. Ambrose's helmet cam footage during Mr. Page's arrest for petty thievery. Police body cam or helmet cam footage is available to the public upon request. As you can see, Ms. Ambrose was exercising police brutality for personal motivations, going out of bounds for what was required for the arrest." She then put up medical record on screen. "Mr. Page unnecessarily suffered a fracture to the jaw during this encounter. Were it not for the intervention of another police officer, he likely would've suffered much more. Your honor, would you like to see third-party footage of the incident?"

"That won't be necessary, Ms. Wang."

She nodded and turned back to Tyler. "Mr. Page, for your crime of petty thievery, did you pay the penalty?"

"I was let off," Tyler said. "Though, I'm not too upset about it. I mean, I did likely do that. Her hitting me that day isn't my issue, it's everything else."

"Hmm." His lawyer took note of the nonchalant, then continued with her questions. "You speak of this affair Ms. Ambrose and Mr. Paddock had during your absence. If so, the implications can be quite damning. Do you have evidence of the infedelity?"

Tyler thought about it. "Nothing like video proof," Tyler said simply. "Though, they had an intimate, sexual relationship before I was back in the picture, and while I was there she would sneak out in the middle of the night. She was never really interested in sleeing with me, but I saw the way she looked at Juan, biting her lip, lost in a fantasy, and later that night she would be gone," He said, looking at Joan. "One night I decided to walk past Juan's room, having been unable to find Joan on any of the ships security, and heard the muffled sounds of sex from his room. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out," He finished.

"That will be all from me, your honor." Ms. Wang turned to the judge.

"Thank you, Ms. Wang. Mr. Cross, you may begin your cross examination." The judge replied.

Julian stood up, looking at the judge. "No questions your honor."

"None?" He raised an eyebreow. "Alright then. You may bring up your next witness then."

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
"Thank you," Julian said. "I'd like to call upon Juan Paddock."

It was Juan's turn to take the witness stand, and he did so with no fuss. He was well dressed, as people are in court, though it felt uncomforable. That was nothing to him, a small onstabcle to get Joan her kids back.

Julian nodded to Juan. "If you would, Mr. Paddock, what is your relationship with Miss Ambrose?"

"Currently, a bit in the air. The focus is on the children." Juan nodded, matter of factly.

"And could you explain your thoughts on her parenting style?" Julian asked. "Has there ever been a moment that made you feel uncomfortable?"

Juan shook his head, smiling. "Not once, as far as I can remember. Her entire goal has been to protect and teach them, an oppurtunity so many go without. I praise her for it honestly. It's hard."

Julian nodded his head. "So, she's never yelled out raised her voice around them from your experience?" He asked. "What would you consider the worst thing she has ever done, if you had to be hyper critical of her behaviour?"

"At worst? She did give Jacob a bit of spook when I took him shooting for the first time, though I took the brunt of the words. It was justified, in my opinion, as we hadn't asked before hand."

"Thank you," Julian said, looking down at his notepad. "Now, as we just heard, you were accused of having an affair with Miss Ambrose. Would you say you have had a sexual relationship with Miss Ambrose?"

"I would, yes." Juan tried his best to say that without smiling.

"Did you at any point engage with Miss Ambrose inappropriately while Tyler was in the picture?" Julian asked.

"Not while he was in the picture, no."

"Switching gears a little," Julian said. "Jacob, the son, had come to use you as a confidant of sorts. Miss Ambrose informed me of how he will tell you things and you're in pay sworn to secrecy unless it's absolutely paramount what he says needs to be known. Has he ever told you anything that you feel is important enough for you to speak about it today?"

"A variety of things, actually. He confided in me once, and the main worry was for his mother. She wasn't herself with Tyler nearby, him being on the ship made her quiet and... submissive, in a bad way. As if... if she stepped out of line, or the kids stepped out of line, she'd pay for it in verbal abuse. Jacob told me, when the subject of my involvement came up, he told Joan she'd end up like her mother. This was how he kept them in line, the kids that is. They didn't want to upset him, because they knew their mother would pay for it, Tyler would do eveything in his power to make Joan feel bad. Not a healthy enviroment, in the slightest."

"So Jacob came to you to air guys grievance with what you identified as a potentially abusive situation?" Julian asked. "Did you notice any of the same behavior or if Joan? If you have, could you explain?"

"I had. Joan, as I know her, before his arrival, was a damn tough woman. She was the unofficial squad leader of our missions, because she was smart, quick enough on the draw, quick to speak her mind, and we also usually were thinking the same thing. Not while he was there though. She was quiet, she never spoke to anyone on the ship, was barely ever seen out of her room. I also need to report, brusies along her side, as well as on her arm as if someone had grabbed her roughly and squeezed, all of which she took pains to hide. Had she gotten them on the beat, she wouldn't have cared to hide them as quickly as she did, if at all."

"So you're implying signs in not only verbal abuse but physical as well?" Julian asked.

"Yes, even if he seemed to prefer verbal. Probably easier to hide, in his opinion."

"Let's leave speculation to motives aside," Julian said simply. "Thank you though, that'll be all from me your honor."

"Thank you Mr. Cross. Ms Wang," the judge said. "Do you have any questions for the character witness?"

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
"Yes your honor I do," Ms Wang said, standing up. "Mr Paddock. You mention suspicions of verbal and physical abuse. Your proof is a change in personality, the verbal account of a likely confused child, and bruising," she said with a sickly sweet smile. "Would you consider Miss Ambrose's sexual inclination to be... Religious? Simple, plain sex with no frills?" She asked.

"From your understanding of it, yes. Very little "frills" to speak of." Juan wasn't sure how this question would do anything, but he was sure this bitch would find some way to make it seem wrong or something.

"So things never got a little aggressive? No biting or scratching? Not even a little foreplay or even roleplay for that matter?" Amanda asked.

"There's a difference between what you want, hard hitting action, the likes that could disprove my beliefs on how she got those brusies, and what I do. It's 'rough', but it doesn't leave anything. It's not savage, it's enjoyable."

"I wasn't making an accusation Mr Paddock," Amanda smiled. "But I take it Joan responded well to your... Rough treatment?"

"It was mutal. We both had fun with it, but that was with us. The same has not been reported of his actions."

"But those bruises, if not from her time as an officer, could have come from a rough roll in the hay, no?" Amanda asked.

"Not from him. He likes them... subservient. Not playing back. Hell, he wouldn't even look at her."

"Oh?" Amanda asked. "How do you know he wouldn't look at her then?"

"She told me. She came to me, looking like she hadn't eaten a full meal in forever, crying, after he made his move and stole her children away."

"Stole her children? If I recall, Mr. Page took his children away from Ms. Ambrose only after he learned of the unauthorized mission you and her took part in." Amanda Wang picked up her data pad and read out loud, "I don't want my kids to be raised by a murderer..." She trailed off, then looked back at Juan. "That was an excerpt, the opening line, to be specific, of Mr. Page's note when he left with his children. Murderer. One who has a penchant towards violence. Mr. Paddock, would you not say that Ms. Ambrose fits that description?"

"A penchant for violence is not the same as enjoying it. You ever been in a war against terror? That entire pile of crap is killing people, horrible people, without it being murder. I would not say she fits the description of murderer."

Amanda Wang smirked. "So you don't deny she has a penchant for violence. It's interesting that you mention counter-terrorism without being murder. Your honor, may I show another video clip?"

"Authorized."

Another video played on screen. This time, it was a top corner view of a small room with a scrawny woman turning around from the entryway, before shot in the head, visibly by Joan.

The courtroom immediatley blew up. "Objection!" Julian called out, "We were never notified that this evidence would be shown!" Meanwhile, Ulrike turned white, while Eberhard angrily shot up from his seat. "Bullshit! You can't show that on screen! That's classified footage!" He tried hopping over the barrier, but the baliff was already waiting for him. With waning resistance, he was dragged out of the courtroom while the judge slammed his gavel.

"Order! Order! Objection sustained. The respondant was not provided the evidence prior to this hearing." He leered at Tyler's lawyer. "Be careful of what you bring up in this courtroom, Ms. Wang."

"Of course, your honor." Amanda Wang simply shrugged. "Regardless, Mr. Paddock, how do you explain then Mr. Grau's injuries inflicted by Ms. Ambrose? Do I need to show the station security footage?"

"No no, you've shown enough footage." He smiled a smile that was painfully polite, to the point of definietly being sarcastic. His smile drops, and he shrugs. "I would explain it like this. A sudden burst of literal anguish. Something I know she deeply regrets, but it was an outburst of pain and torment. She spends her entire life, every penny she has, and all her waking hours trying to help these kids become the best people I know they can be, and she comes home one day to find they've been taken, unjustly. I would be crushed to a state such as that too. I was, to a lesser extent."

Wang thought out loud. "I wonder then. Mr. Grau was clearly trying to get Ms. Ambrose listen to reason, but she beat him, a close friend no less, to a pulp. Would it not be reasonable to believe that given her current stressed state, her tendency towards violence, that she would one day accidentally hurt her own children?"

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
"I think that's bullshit. I think she would rather drop dead of a thousand diseases at once. She couldn't hurt her children in that manner, I don't care who you think you are, but I know that when it comes to her kids, I wouldn't trust a single soul in this room beside her to raise them well. Thank you."

"That remains to be seen." Wang remarked dimissively. "I'm finished with my cross examination, your Honor."

"Very well. Bring up your next witness." The judge ordered as Juan returned to his seat.

"I call upon... Joan Ambrose."

Joan looked at Juan as he walked by, mouthing a 'thank you' as he did before standing up and walking over to the box.

"Your Honor, may I?" Wang made a gesture to step into the well. Receiving a nod, she strided in front of Joan, and strolled back and forth in front of her.

"Ms. Ambrose," She addressed, "Having beat your friend nearly unconscious, would you consider yourself violent, impulsive, or both?"

"Ah'm not perfect," Joan said simply, glaring daggers at Amanda. "Ah didn't fink ya 'ad ta be ta be a movvah," she said simply, not breaking gaze.

"True, you don't have to be perfect as a mother." Wang nodded in agreement. "There are, however, core traits that any competent mother, who's trying to raise well adjusted children, would have. Would you agree that patience and kindness be two suck traits?"

"Ah would," Joan said. "Ah 'ave nuffin but patience fer dusties, including mine," she said, her voice unwavering.

"But you've clearly lost your temper, in a violent fasion, no less."

"Ah'm not perfect," Joan said sternly. "In ah 'ave eons less patience fer grown adults den ah do dusties 'oo dun know beh'ah," she added. "Dere a pit stop between 'ere in da point?"

"Hopefully for you, Ms. Ambrose," Wang shot back, "Since your temper may translate from the innocent, well meaning adult to the innocent, well meaning child."

"Dat fact 'as bin proven frough 'istory more times den ah kin count," Joan said. "Dere are low people out dere 'oo 'ave such insecurities dey would prey on da weak in innocent. Lie frough dere teef ta beat does 'oo can't fight back," she finished.

"Mmm." Wang mused, and then paused to think for a moment, before continuing, "You speak of lying to the powerless. What of your children then? Honesty is another core trait for a good mother, have you lied to your children beyond small, white lies?"

"Ovah den Santa in da toof fairy, no," Joan said. "O'course ah 'Ave elected ta not keep dem informed 'o da 'appenings during missions in da like. Dey dun need to know bout dat."

"What of your relationship with Mr. Paddock then? Based on Jacob's accounts, he was quite close with Mr. Paddock. Did you disclose your affair, confirming your relationship?" Wang pressed.

"Ah nevah 'ad an affair wif 'im," Joan stated pointedly. "Are ya insinuatin ah 'ave a romantic relationship wif me children?" Joan accused.

"I'm not to judge what your fantasies are, Ms. Ambrose." Wang dismissed.

"Dat's a steep accusation yer making Ms Wang," Joan said calmly. "Are ya trying ta say Ah'm a kiddy fiddler? Are ya runnin outta rational accusations?"

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
"Only you could've construed my words into such an accusation."

"Ah mean, ya asked me if ah disclosed mah affair wif Juan to mah children, in ya accepted Juan sayin 'e didn't sleep wif me while Tylah was round. Ya should keep beh'ah track of yer infermation. Wouldn't wan anovvah slip up like da last." Joan said simply.

Wang hmmphed, then turned to the judge. "No more questions, your Honor."

The judge raised an eyebrow. "Well then... Mr. Cross, you may start your cross examination."

Julian stood up and took a deep breath. "Miss Ambrose. In your duties as both an esteemed officer of the G.D.W, and as a mercenary, you have probably taken extreme measures to ensure mission victory. How far would you go to protect your children?" He asked.

"Scorched earth," Joan said, keeping her tone flat. "Ah wouldn't stop till ma nippah's was safe or ah was dead."

"Would you use the same effort if say, they were child soldiers?" He asked.

"Ah would try even 'arder ta kill da adults in da 'ope da kids would run off," Joan explained. "Dough is don't always 'ave da luxury ya not shoot at people 'oo are shooting at ya," she sighed.

"So it would take an extreme situation for you to resort to violence against a child?"

Joan nodded her head. "Ah do wha' ah do ta protect good people from bad ones. Gettin paid is an unfortunate requirement," she said.

"Thank you, that's all from me," Julian said, sitting down.

"In that case, bring up your next witness." The judge remarked.

Another hour or two went by as the rest of the witnesses were called upon. Tyler's co-workers were brought on, along with Joan's. The Grau couple participated as well, though Eberhard initially came back into the court room in zip-ties. Finally...

"Ms. Wang, you may call upon the final witness."

"Certainly." Tyler's lawyer politely smiled. "I call upon Margrett Ambrose, mother of Joan Ambrose."

The woman in question stood up and sighed out of annoyance. Like she was upset for being made to wait so long. When she finally sat down, she looked at Amanda with a calm stare.

"I understand that Ms. Trixie Ambrose left your care at an early age and cut contact since. Describe her as a young adult before her departure." Amanda Wang began.

"Constantly begging," Margrett said simply. "Scared, timid, wouldn't raise 'er voice fer nuffin. 'onestly, when Dey were talking bout 'ow she acted ah was more familiar wif da strange Trixie den ah was wif dis supposed strong woman," she huffed.

"Interesting. So you think your daughter lacked the spine to stand up for herself? Did you think she was capable of raising children back then?"

"Barely able to feed 'erself wifout a 'and out," Margrett said shaking her head. "In it sounds like she's Livin off dese Grau folks too. No savin's, constantly gettin shot at, doin allegedly illegal nonsense. Ah 'ad a near fit when ah 'eard she was lettin da young shoot guns!"

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
The lawyer smirked. "So you think your daughter is incapable of raising children, even now, what, ten years later?"

"I wouldn't say she were universe number one mum," Margrett huffed, crossing her arms.

"Mmm-Hmm." Wang nodded. "Tell us about her departure. What caused it, and how did it impact you?"

"She left," Margrett said matter-of-factly. "Was told she was safe, but not where she went. Didn't find out till years later she was in London. Ah was none to pleased wif it, but little ah could do at dat point."

"Do you think she left because of you?" There was a sudden interrogative shift in Wang's tone.

"Possible," Margrett said. "Ah didn't want no weak daughter, so ah made life difficult fer 'er"

"You made life difficult for her? How so?"

"Ah didn't go bout 'anding everyfing ta 'er," Margrett said, crossing her arms. "Las' ah checked, ah wasn't da one 'oo's pareting was being questioned," She said, seeming a little irritated, as if she weren't expecting this line of questioning.

Wang ignored the irritation and pressed on. "Elaborate on that some more. What specifically did you give your daughter, and what did you deny her?"

"Ah made 'er go out in find 'er own food," Margrett said. "Ah made sure she nevah starved, but ah never 'anded 'er food. Fro da age o' 12 ta 16 she was right on 'er own. Ah didn't ake stayin' at da 'ouse comfortble fer 'er," She added, crossing her arms. " 'er geeration is shot if'n ya pays close attention on da outskirts. Livin off dere parent's not gittin jobs, ah leas' she ain't dat."

"That's actually a myth," Wang corrected, "Perpetuated by governor of the British commercial zone. It's not that children are lazy, but rather due to the rising unemployment in speacialist fields, due to a mix of the current economic downturn and the further advancement of AI." She shook her head. "Regardless of the cause, it seems you didn't give her much care during her teenage years, when she was going through major mental and physical developments. Was anyone else there to care for her? Her father, perhaps?"

"You kin say it's a myf," Margrett said, "Miss hoity toity lawyer, likely can't see few inches past da silver spoon in yer mouf," She sighed, shaking her head. "But no. No Favvah."

"Figured." The lawyer put a graph on the wall. "Studies show that a neglecting environment and the lack of one of the two parents have a profound effect on the child." She eyed Joan. "These children grow up with far higher incarceration rates, mental health problems, and by extension, abuse of their own children."

"Does ya want me ta respond ta dat?" Margrett asked flatly.

"No." Wang smirked again. "I just wanted to let you, and the court know, that based on Ms. Trixie Ambrose's upbringing and her recent behavior, she could very well abuse her children in the future. Your honour, I'm done with my questions."

"Mr. Cross, you may begin your la cross exmination."

Julian stood up, but before he could open his mouth Margrett interrupted him. "Yer honor," she said looking up at the judge. "Before dis young man starts, could ah play somefing ah 'ave dats relevant ta da current situation?" She asked. "Ah understand-"

Wang raised an eyebrow, then interjected, "Objection! We did not-"

"You sit down in shut it Missy," Margrett quickly snapped as if scolding a child. "Ya 'ad yet chance ta play dirty," she added before looking at the judge. "Ah kept it secret from 'eryone as if ah opened ma mouf, ah wouldn't 'ave bin able ta show it," she said simply.

"Objection overruled. Let's see what else you have to show, Ms. Ambrose." The judge nodded to her.

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Margrett nodded her head and pulled out her tablet, studying through it. "Is in 'ere somewhere," she said, before alone started to play.

"Why would ah 'elp ya in dis battle?" Margrett's voice asked.

"Cause I'm coming back to Earth, and we both know how Trixie is. She can't bear to be away from them. So help me, we both win. You get to spend time with your grandkids, which she won't do no matter what, and she'll come crawling back to me where she belongs." Tyler's voice said, followed by a pause.

Tyler was sat in his seat dumb struck, as was Joan, but she had far more anger in her eyes as Margrett agreed.

"Now," Margrett said, putting her data pad away. "Ah dun know much bout graphs and statistics, but ah'm pretty sure kids get pretty muddled up when used as a weapon gainst dere muvvah by a manipulative prick," she smiled at Amanda. "Any graphs showing da effects o dat?"

Wang gave an audible, displeased snort while the judge shook his head. "We're done here. No need for the cross examination, Mr. Cross. The court will announce its decision within the hour. You all are dismissed."

Juan blinked, and felt a few emotions at once. Anger, that this bastard had done all he could to ruin a family... just to force it back together again for his own sake? That's... shitty. He wanted to throw this monster out of an airlock and watch his body die. He put a lid on those thoughts quickly. The other emotion he was forced to contend with was suprise. He had called in this witch, Joan's mother, just to use her to try and make Joan seem like she statistically couldn't be a good mother. And the the old hag FLIPPED IT AROUND ON HIM?! Did she mean to help, did she just think it would hurt her daughter? Help her? Or did she just do it out of spite? A third emotion flowed through his head. Worry, with a dash of relief sprinkled over it. He looked to Joan, to see her sitting there, mind spinning a mile a minute. He placed a hand on her shoulder, trying to summon her from the depths of her own spinning mind. "I think... we won."

Joan didn't respond to Juan at first, just kept up her glare before slowly standing up. "Ah'll wait till da judge says that."

"I'm making fu--- I'm making calls." Ulrike left the courtroom fuming and furiously tapped her datapad. "I want to know the idiots who are compromising our information."

"It's one problem after another." Eberhard shook his head.

"It was probably 'im ta be 'onest," Joan said simply, starting to walk out as well. "Ah mean, 'is job used ta be breakin inta da security 'o plen'y o' people. 'es a git, not a bad cybersec opertor," She sighed sitting at a bench.

"Not our security. You think I would've let him into the ship without knowing his capabilities?" Ulrike jabbed back. "The ship's AI generates secruity infrastructure that it won't tell me. It's got to be on the government's end where they leaked data."

"Yet more proof that's we're better at this than them." Juan shook his head with annoyance, walking out with the posse. "Either way, someone is gonna pay for that leak. It was almost us. It still might be."

"Let's hope not." Eberhard commented as the baliff walked out with a data pad. The baliff glanced at Eberhard, before walking up to Julian. "Mr. Cross? The judge made his decision. I'll be transferring the document to you now." Julian's data pad beeped with a request to download. The baliff nodded, then walked over to Tyler and his lawyer.

The Lancers could see Wang shrug and shake her head. Tyler gave the team a death glare before stomping off with his lawyer, leaving Joan's Mom alone, standing there as she nonchalantly unwrapped a piece of gum to pop in her mouth.

Julian took a minute to look at the decision, before turning to Joan. "The judge ruled in our favor. They went and knocked down all the points that the prosecution was making, but the main thing was the video showing Tyler's intent. So yes," he said, nodding towards Juan, "we won."

Juan gave the largest sigh of relief, and looked over to Joan with a smile. "Seems your mother saw through his bullshit real quick. And here I was about to call her unsavory names." He chuckled, and placed a hand on Joan's shoulder, holding it comfortingly.

"You're done with Tyler at least." Ulrike walked over and punched Joan's other shoulder lightly. "I still need to deal with him out of your past friendship. What are you going to do now as a free woman?"

"Git as far away from 'im as possible," Joan said.

Joan's mother glanced at her daughter, expecting a confrontation. All she got, however, was silence, as Joan interacted with her own group. Eberhard took a look at the old lady walking off. "You... don't want to talk to her? I know you two have bad blood, but she did make sure you won the court case."

Joan let out a groan. "Fine, Ah'll go talk ta 'er," She said, scowling at Eberhard. "But ah dun fink 'elpin' me keep mah kids constittes a free pass for raising me ta be an 'oar," She said, jogging after the woman, leaving the rest of them alone before Ulrike could interject.

"Wait---" Ulrike called it. "Nevermind." She turned to Juan, "I'll just pick on you instead. You should start acting more serious with her," Ulrike jeered, "No need to be so coy anymore."

Juan sighed, looking out from the conversation. "It's not the time. This was hard for her, even though we won. Once she's better, then we'll talk about it. For now, she's gonna want to spend time with her children. As she should."

"Honey, let's just go home." Eberhard added. "It's been a long day."