• Nobles of Null is a forum based roleplay site where sci-fi and magic collide. Here, Earth remains fractured and divided despite humanity reaching out to the stars. Worse still, the trans-human slaves of one major power have escaped, only to establish their own Empire, seething with resentment at abuses of the past. Even the discovery of aliens, though medieval in development, has failed to rally these squabbling children of Earth together with its far darker implications. Worse still, is the discovery of the impossible - magic. Practiced by the alien locals, nearly depleted and therefore rare, its reality warping abilities remains abstract and distant to the general populace. All the while, unseen in the darkness of space, forces from without threaten to press in. For those with eyes opened by insight, it is clear that an era is about to end, and that a new age will dawn.

Chapter 2 & 3 Intermission 6: Theban Tactics 4

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Coauthored by Acewing13, Ikate Keda Studios, TheCountryWarrior

???? A.D., After interrogation Edith Dussault

Aboard Daheim One

Joan stood outside Beatrix's room, leaning against the wall, trying to look like she was just waiting to not draw any real attention. Her heart was nearing pretty fast. She sent Bee that text message, thinking she was going to take the girl up on her offer, but she grew ever more concerned. Was it a good idea? Was she making the right choice? She didn't know. She saw Bee round the corner and stood up with a weak smile, but it faded a bit as she saw Juan follow behind her. "Oh… ‘ey Bee, Juan, ah see ya two are tagevah," she said, hugging herself a little. " ‘ow're you guys doing?"

“Doing great,” Beatrix said with a smile. “We were actually talking about our...team dynamic when you sent that message, so I thought we could talk a little about what issues you guys actually have in common.”

Juan looked incredibly uncomfortable, his mouth drying. “Actually I thought we would just chat or something, I wasn’t expecting… you to be a shrink. I shouldn’t have come.”

Joan shared the same look as Juan, frowning a little. “Ah… So you’ve been talkin…” She said, looking at Juan, then back at Beatrix.

“I wouldn’t be playing a shrink if you guys didn’t have more messed up feelings than a pair of high schoolers,” Bee retorted. “You’re both worried about how having a relationship would affect how effective we are in missions, right?”

Joan’s cheeks went red as Beatrix mentioned them both being concerned about having a relationship. She gave Beatrix a look, then looked at Juan. “Ya know what, she’s comple’ely right,” She said, letting out a stiff sigh. “Even if we’re all ovah reac’ing and misundahstanding each ovah comple’ely, is be’ah we talks abou’ it so wes at leas’ know where we all stand, den ‘aving it always be on our minds. We ‘ave an impor’ant mission soon, we needs ta be on da ball,” She said, not averting her gaze. “Ah’m willin ta talk if’n you are.”

Juan sighed, and nodded, licking his lips as they had dried from anxiety, though he returned her gaze. “I agree entirely. Though, perhaps it would be better to do it inside for some privacy?”

“Right this way, lady and gentleman,” Bee said, opening the door to her room and waving them inside. Once they were both in the room, she said, “Now, I’m gonna play some more video games. You don’t leave until you sort this out, one way or another,” and closed the door, leaving the pair alone.

“Bee, ya cu-” Joan started, turning around just as the door shut on them. “Ah swear ta god!” She growled, more irritated at the underhanded tactic than anything. She stopped herself, taking a few deep breaths to try and calm herself down. Then she looked at Juan. “You wanna si’ on da scratcha?” She asked, pointing at the bed, “Or does ya want dere ta be some space be’ween us? Ah kin sit in da chair if’n ya wants,” She said, her face still a little red, her eyes lost in intense thought.

Juan had sighed in intense frustration as the door closed. He had hoped to God that wouldn’t happen, dismissing it as just a paranoid thought, and now it had happened. He looked to Joan, and nodded nervously, his own ears a shade darker. “Uh, yes. One of those. Uh.” He cleared his throat. “Yes, I can use the chair, so we can look at each other or something. Or we can sit on the bed and not look at each other. I am not being very helpful am I?”

Joan sighed and shook her head. “Not par’icularly, but ah get it,” She said, walking and sitting on the bed, one knee up so she was still able to look at Juan if he sat down. “Come on, Ah kin face ya on da bed…” She said, not looking away from him.

Juan scratched his neck, and kept awkwardly staring at her. “Yes, very well.” He walks over and sits on the bed, cross legged and hunched over. He starts with a bit of a sigh. “So. How was your day?”

"Bee in’erroga’ed me shor’ly aftah ah left yer room," Joan said, looking around the room. " ‘ence why we’re ‘ere. Den Ulrike wan’ed ta talk wif me bout da in’erroga’ion yesterday, and den immedia’ely in’erroga’ed me about you," she said, looking at Juan with a frown, reaching out and gently suggesting he look up with a hand. "Stop lookin so sad. Ah'm really not dat bad at dis. Ya look like you fink dis is all going to go ‘orribly.”

Juan looks at her and sighs again, smiling a little. “It’s not you I’m worried about. Both of them wanted an explanation? I never worried about that, all I was worried about was you waking up sober and freaking out. I suppose our lives aren’t that private here.”

“Un’il…” Joan said, her head weaving back in forth a little. “Da obvious, i 'ave 'o admi' probably da nices' mawnin i’ve 'ad in way 'oo long,” She said simply. “I was mawe wawried dat i 'ad jus' 'urned in'ah a whawe las' nigh' an' tha ya would lose respec' faw me. Las' ah checked, people don’' like bein lead by promiscuous girls from my experience. Bee wan'ed 'o knah cause ah assume she’s a glu'on faw dis kind o malarkey,” She complained, crossing her arms.

“Ulrike wan'ed ta knah cause we wawk faw 'er in she wan's ta make sure we aren' goin ta ruin anyfing. She didn’' even knah i slep' in yer room las' nigh' un'il ah s’upidly opened mah mouf, so apparen'ly people 'ad dis impression befawe las' nigh'.” She explained. “So… i 'aven’' qui'e figured ou' ma fough's on dis ye', so ah would like ta 'ear yours. Don’ wawry, Ah’m a big girl. Ah kin 'andle a stiff rejec'ion if das yer plan.”

Juan laughed nervously, and shook his head a bit. “No, no. I don’t have a plan at all. I guess, first, I never thought you were a whore. You asked me about it that night, and I assume you don’t remember. Long story short, you’re not a whore, or a slut, or any of those words I never have much chance to use these days. You just needed someone nearby for a bit. As a moral person, I can’t begrudge you that.” He smiled a small smile, and started waving his hands around as he talked. “Because honestly, my thoughts are immensely jumbled, despite thinking about it for hours. I think to start, I wish you didn’t have to be drunk to say these things. I know it’s hard, but you can’t deprive yourself of these basic needs. Just a fuckin snuggle. But I get it. Next, I think you needed it as much as I did, nothing to be ashamed of. I…” He searched for the right words, his next thoughts, but nothing came. “I don’t know, this day has been weird.”

Joan was beet red once Juan had finished talking, and she took a deep breath. “Okay, bru'al 'onesty 'ime,” She said, nodding her head. “Juan, if there were like… Three or four things different about the situation between me and you right now, at this very second, I’d be all over you,” She said, taking another deep breath, and nodding. “I’m gonna le' ya 'ave a momen' wif da' befawe ah con'inue…” She squeaked, lowering her head.

Juan looked taken aback, but his smile persisted. “Uh… okay. I guess if we’re playing the honesty game, if it weren’t for that handful of things I would be fine with that. I am flattered though.”

Joan nodded stiffly. “Righ', da' did no' make da res' ov wha' ah 'ave ta say easiah, bu' oh well,” She said, looking at him again. “Da problem dat is mos' ac'ive in me loaf, immedia'ely, is da quesshun ov if ma a''rac'ion to ya is because ah just… like… god… Ah need ta ge' laid a'ight?” She finally admitted. “like, ah'm dat phrase in da flesh. Ah'm no' a prude, ah was nevah raised ta 'ate sex, in ah really wan's it,” She said, now frowning. “Which is why ah’m no' jumpin ya. I don’' knah if'n i wan's you, aw i jus' wan' yer gobstoppah,” She explained, rubbing her face for a moment. “Which nah da ah say i', sounds really weird, bu' wha'ever. Tha' fear is just… really strong you know? bein bladdered probably jus' made me ignawe i'.”

Juan gave a nervous chuckle, and looked back down at his lap. “That’s understandable. The drink has a habit of removing inhibitions, that’s what I assumed happened. My dick is flattered, but I’m glad you restrained yourself. Well glad and confused, but only out of concern. There’s a possible fix for that, but you probably have better things to do.”

“ 'ell me,” Joan said. “ 'ell me in ah’ll pu' i' on da lis' ov considera'ions.”

Juan looked back up at her, and shrugged. “We could actually talk like people for a bit. Like this! Then maybe we can decipher if there’s anything deeper than just us both being highly attractive people. Just like people do all the time, civilians and military alike. I’m not suggesting a date per se, just a time to talk.”

Joan let out a sigh of relief. “Faw a second dere i fough' ya were gonna sugges' we jus' 'ave a shag,” She said, starting to laugh. “Righ', bu' da' sounds like a less po'en'ially destruc'ive rou'e. Doesn’ solve de ovah problems dough. So, ah guess ah’ll splain dose,” She said, straightening up a little.

“Dere's no chain ov command 'ere,” Joan started, looking at Juan again. “Bu' ah’m s'ill kinda da sho' callah on mission. You an' Bea'rix rely on meh ta make da righ' decision, because dose decisions could ge' eivah ov ya killed. If… if we do, star' a rela'ionship, It migh' affec' dat. If'n we star' a rela'ionship, in it goes squiggly down da line, it migh' affec' dat. Ah can’ leh' my feelings pu' people in danger. Tha's par'ly wha' makes dis so 'ard, ac'ually," She said, looking uncomfortable.

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
" 'ouchin on da las' poin', when ah was in officah wif deh GDW Daft, ah 'ad plen'y ov guys ah would probably shag wif. Wha' made sure ah didn' was dat ah 'ad an effical wall in me way, in dat was fine. Ah don’ 'ave dat wall anymawe, bu' we already 'ave a solu'ion ta dat… i’m no' good a' 'his…" She sighed, looking away.

“Honestly it’s comforting to me that we’re both bad at this.” He leans back on the wall next to the bed, and sighs heavily. “I had the same concerns about the decision affecting part of the ordeal. Relationship or not I don’t want to sacrifice anyone for the sake of a mission anyway, and I don’t need to be in a relationship to care about my team. I listen to you because you have a good brain behind your face. Because I would have done a lot of it the same way. Because it’s better to have one voice in people’s ears than two. This might not be helpful, but I am kinda glad the barrier is gone. That wall wouldn’t have allowed me to help you in good conscience that night. The wall had its uses, but in my experience it was quite a bit limiting.” Juan adjusted his seating position, mostly out of apprehension.

“I fink ma concern,” Joan said, taking a deep breath. “Ah need ta knah dat ya would be able ta le' me die if i' mean' keepin everyone else safe. Tha' if we were ever in a posi'ion where i' was me aw you guys, aw wawse da ship, me dusties, an' everyone else, dat dere would be no 'esi'a'ion.” She said simply.

Juan looks at her, and can’t bring himself to say anything for a minute. “That’s always been a sticking point of mine. I never liked that question. I’ve heard it before, and everytime it throws me for a loop. I don’t like to think about it, but that’s our job.” He looks down to his lap again, breathing heavily, but looks back up to her. “I hate to admit it to myself, but I’d have to do it.” He grimaces, and looks back down, closing his eyes shut. “I hate how I sound when I say that. Like some sort of brainwashed goon.”

“I wouldn’' 'esi'a'e,” Joan said, not looking away from Juan, her voice matter of fact. “If i' was my life aw da res' ov da 'eams, da ships, ma nippahs, ah would awder ya ta chip if dere wasn’' a way ta save me. Same fing if i' was you in dat posi'ion. If ah couldn’' save ya, ah would 'ave ta follah da sta'istics,” She said, frowning. “Tha' comes wif command. You make decisions dat ge' people killed, bu' some'imes dere is no righ' answer an' someone is goin ta die,” She said, shrugging her shoulders. “S'a'istically ah view meself as da priawi'y, no' cause ov my command bu' cause ov me nippahs,” She said, slightly quieter. “Ah understand if you don’' like dat.”

Juan rubbed his forehead, and shrugged. “No one likes that part of the job. But it’s part of the job nonetheless. I can’t argue with it, you’re entirely right.” He slumped a bit, looking at her seriously. “Your kids are absolutely the priority. If one of us has to die for them to have a chance, I won’t hesitate. I’ll give the pirate bastards something to remember though.”

Joan groaned, covering her face with her hands. “S'op… sayin da righ' fings please…” She groaned, looking away now. “Did you an' Bee plan any o' dis?” She asked, half joking, but Juan could tell there was some worry there.

Juan chuckled at that, trying not to smile during their serious conversation, and failing. “No, we didn’t have a script to go off of, yet I think she played us anyway. I can say something wrong if you want. Um, let’s see.” He cleared his throat, and pushed his accent through a bit more. “The Spaniard has no need to make choices, his sheer willpower nullifies them!”

“Right,” Joan said, fanning her face a little. “No' ‘elpin my curren’ predicamen', please 'urn dat off,” She said, her face getting redder.

Juan laughs, a welcome reprieve from the subject matter. “Sorry, my alter ego slips out without warning, like Mr. Hyde but far more sexy.” He sighs at himself, shaking his head. “That's not helping either I guess.”

“Ter answer yer question,” She said, before rapidly shaking her head. “You are basically da cover ov da books ah’ve bin readin faw… like… 2 years now…” She admitted giving a meek smile. “Sawry faw makin fun…”

Juan had a half-smile on his face, his ears back to a darker shade from the heat on his cheeks. “What else am I good for if not professional ogling? It can’t be that bad, I’m sure the stories have uhh, great plot.”

“Da plo' is a vehicle faw de faceless self inser' ta ge' shagged,” Joan said, shaking her head. “Bu', my bein a stereo'ypical lusty single muvvah aside, le's brin up da last, in larges' overall problem. Ah'm a mom ov 'oo children whose favah is unfaw'una'ely still alive,” She said, her mood dropping at the mention of her children's father. “'e di'ched us ta go open a pub, an' if we end up in dat system ah am obliga'ed ta le' 'im visi',” She said, before frowning. “Mawe impaw'an'ly dough, 'im leavin really messed dem up, an' i' 'ook a really long 'ime faw jacob 'o bounce back from deh custody ba''le in subsequen' abandonmen'. If ah’m considerin someone, i’s no' really faw a shaw' 'erm awdeal… an' dey 'ave ta be okay wif i'.”

Juan had a sorrowful look on his face, at the mention of the impact it had on the children. “Poor kids... no child deserves that sort of ordeal. I’m glad Jacob bounced back eventually, but that’s the sort of bittersweet problem is that if his father had any sense he wouldn’t have done it to him in the first place. Really? A bar across the galaxy?” Juan couldn’t really help himself, that made him secondhand mad. “Who abandons their flesh and blood to open a bar is space? Terrestrial bar not good enough?”

“I say ovah side ov de galaxy, 'e’s like… free monfs' 'rip away?” She asked, shrugging her shoulders. “Ah 'ave da sys'em name wri''en down,” She said with an exhausted look on her face. “'e 'ad bin bleedin all da dosh from our join' accoun' inta da projec', an' den demanded bi weekly visi'a'ion righ's. Ah annihila'ed my personal savings 'ryin ta figh' 'im cause i wasn’ givin up ma career faw a bar dag migh' be successful,” She said simply.

“Well of course not, no sane person would.” Juan huffed, feeling a sense of anger and frustration that he did his best to suppress. “Honestly, I know it’s not really my place, but I am kinda mad right now. That’s a step below piracy. So, the debt is what got you here then? Feel free to shut me up, but that’s the sense I’m getting. I hope you’re being paid well.”

“I’m bein paid enough,” Joan said, but Juan could tell there was a lie there. “i' makes me pre''y mad 'oo dough, so don’' wawry,” She said, thinking about it. “Dough, you would make 'im super fuckin jealous, i’m no' even gonna tell a porker,” She smiled, biting her lip. “I fink righ' nah i's be'ah we jus' wai' faw a while, bu' i wan'ed 'o ask you faw a favaw…” She said, looking at him intently.

Juan looked guarded, though he did smile. “Yeah, anything, I like to think I’m helpful in some way.”

“Can i ge' jus' one fing ou' ov my system?” Joan asked, holding up a finger. “I’s small, ah promise.”

That statement somehow made him more guarded, and made him smile wider at the same time. “Oh dear, please do.”

Last edited:

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
“Come 'ere den, ah’ll whispah i' cause i'’s supah… supah awkward ta say ou' loud,” She said quietly.

Now Juan was confused, but he leaned forward to hear what she had to say, only to have Joan’s lips and tongue meet his as she dragged him into a firm and enthusiastic kiss, moaning all the while. Juan had not been expecting that, he was expecting either some sensitive information, her to yell in his ear to scare him, or something else. However, Juan could think of worse things to be doing right now, and he allowed the Spaniard inside him to play a bit, returning the sudden assault as good as he got.

It lasted less than thirty seconds, before Joan finally pulled away, panting, then breaking out into a fit of giggles. “tha'… i fink dat can 'old me while i 'ry in figure dis ou',” She said, wiping the little string of saliva that had lingered from her chin, getting up and looking at Juan. “Righ', so, are we good?” She asked, her face practically on fire.

Juan laughed in, honestly, relief. After all that conversation, and all that uncertainty in his mind, it felt good to have something concrete to right himself on. “You’re adorable. Yes we’re very good, and I am available to talk to whenever. Thank you for this chance to talk, I hope we can do it again.”

“Oh,” Joan giggled, actually seeming less stressed. “Ah be' dere’s a few reasons ya wan' ta do dis again,” She said, starting to fan herself again. “Is i' 'ot in 'ere? i fink i need 'o go 'ave a showah,” She said, walking backwards to the door. “If you wanna 'alk again, just, le' me knah an' i’ll come ovah,” She said, leaning on the door. It opened and she stumbled, but she maintained her footing. “Righ'! i 'ave fings i need da do, an', ya know, shower… an'... “ She said, trailing off before she finished that line of thought. “Right, bye,” She said, walking down the hallway.

Juan waited for her to go a ways, before leaving the room himself. He took a deep breath of air, and a smile bloomed across his face. He had thought this would be one of the more awkward days, and it was, but it was worth it. Whistling a tune of his people, Juan retreated back to his room.

The End