• Nobles of Null is a forum based roleplay site where sci-fi and magic collide. Here, Earth remains fractured and divided despite humanity reaching out to the stars. Worse still, the trans-human slaves of one major power have escaped, only to establish their own Empire, seething with resentment at abuses of the past. Even the discovery of aliens, though medieval in development, has failed to rally these squabbling children of Earth together with its far darker implications. Worse still, is the discovery of the impossible - magic. Practiced by the alien locals, nearly depleted and therefore rare, its reality warping abilities remains abstract and distant to the general populace. All the while, unseen in the darkness of space, forces from without threaten to press in. For those with eyes opened by insight, it is clear that an era is about to end, and that a new age will dawn.

Chapter 10: True Conversations

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Li Shi Cheng stepped out of the building, the pressurized air pouring out of the interior into the low pressure exterior. He glanced at the two guards standing at the entrance and took a deep breath of the cool air at these heights. Even after a couple decades living on this planet, he could still taste the differences between the air here and that of Earth. The slight shifts in EM radiation from this system's star changed everything, not just the obvious way the flora here grew red instead of the familiar green, but also the atmospheric composition. Of course, there was also the human factor. Even after two centuries Beijing couldn't shake off the coat of pollution it built up during China's age of misguided development, even after the city was torn down and rebuilt as a complex of arcologies. Here, in Yun Wang, everything was so new by comparison. Virtually no human tampering with the atmosphere due to forward technology. It all tasted so alien, pristine, like the smell of a new shuttle.

That's what the aliens certainly did not feel. The existence of this city alone might as well be drowning the entire species on this planet with smog. Shi Cheng sighed, as he watched the two Aos Si, Gwaed and Sai, on the platform at a distance. The Governor's theatrics certainly did not help relations. It most likely made them worse. The professor was unsure of how to approach them now.

Perhaps transparency is his only choice now, even more than he already was. At that thought, he cautiously stepped towards them.

Gwaed stood a little behind Sai, indicating he had leisurely made his way to her only recently. They had all the time in the world, for the most part. He turned to the Professor, and grumbled. "I apologize for a sudden exit, and I add you to the list of the only individuals in that room I respected. Your work was almost assuredly noble, even if your position is just as much a pawn as we are to be." Gwaed sighed, looking to the horizon. This city smelt of rot to him. Perhaps it wasn't so to the humans, the second generation Parasites. Perhaps they'd gotten used to it, perhaps they didn't even feel it. It was an overpowering sense of wrongness, artificial buildings standing where life was supposed to be. Perhaps he could convince Amisra to get some trees planted. Perhaps it would lessen the feel of overbearing imperialism.

FloweryDream

Sai had found strange refuge in the open air, but even it felt tainted by the countless eyes of the city, and beyond. Her skin itched, and she came to the conclusion that even if she could not see them, everything was being recorded, nothing was sacred here. It was difficult to grasp, how this city could offer a glimpse at music that she had longed for, and then pile it with the taint and poison of politics and spying beyond any reasonable measure. It had the cruel force of will to show her what she wanted, and then pair it with the necessary evils of this place. She felt compelled to reject it, in such a way, and rejected it she had. Those politics? The real reason for good nature and action, there was no soul in that woman within, there was no soul to those politics. Political farce disguised as goodwill, with the Aos Si the inevitable victims once such goodwill proved unviable.

"Your people are cruel, professor." She stated idly as her eyes wandered the cityscape. Up here, it looked as if it were a city without people. "Is this the cost of music, the cost of your mechanical arm that can pluck strings?" She shook her head, the city seeming wrong to her. It was bent, twisted in ways that weren't meant for people. How could humans live like this? Just enough of themselves hidden among barriers of concrete to keep them marching forward. She glanced to Gwaed as she leaned on the railing, looking down upon the lifeless city.

She turned abruptly to the professor, and her face had lost the giddiness of nervous defiance. She seemed lost, defeated on the subject like she had realized how she never truly stood a chance to get what she truly wanted. "Is everything here built at the beck and call of such politics? Was even that section of the museum built to appeal to political masses?"

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
"Honestly? This is an improvement. A great improvement. Were we standing here sixty years ago, well, we wouldn't be standing here." Shi Cheng shrugged with a frustration. "You'd still be avoiding our drones, and we'd still have to watch every word we speak or we don't eat for a week. Humans were born out of tribes that competed for resources and land, often settling issues through violence. Only relatively recently have we used the pen more often than the sword. In a way, politics, the words you witnessed, are our swords. Everyone has their own image of the world. Some are simply have the skills, willpower, and luck to mold it more into their own image than others."

"That museum you visited," The professor looked in that general direction, past the forest of human buildings, "was the passion project of a team of artists and engineers, people pure of heart who wanted to preserve our culture and educate the masses. That cannot be denied. But yes, without the political sword and the promise of coin, it would not have come to fruition. That is a reality we still have to accept, to be grateful that at the minimum, we can now speak freely without a true sword at our necks."

"Is there a hidden sword?" Gwaed asked bluntly. "I am of the expectation that where one does not find a blade in plain view, they know there is one hidden in the vicinity. That one is all the more dangerous, for it is a lie. I do not lie lightly, thus why my blade is in plain view." He crossed his arms, a familiar grumpy Gwaed pose as he backed away from the edge of the building. "Is this living, Professor? You people may no longer fear your oppressors, but have you traded an honest evil for a deceitful good? Is this how you humans exist? In flux between authoritarian regimes and daggers hidden by kindness? Not both, only sometimes in between, and often one or the other?" The concept didn't sit well with Gwaed, his gaze settled on the Professor making it clear that he was displeased. "Yes, had we stood here in the past, I would not be here. If I had been here, on this tower, it would only be to kill you all. Maybe I should have done so, and spared your own people from your politics."

The elf sighed, rolling his shoulders back to stand tall, ever in that commander stance. "I want to go home, but here I am." Gwaed pointed down into the city, looking down from the tower to all the places he remembered. "I attended to my studies where that building now stands, learning the honest trade of warfare should our enemies require quelling. Should my home need defending. Over there, now overtaken by a store for the convenience of others, I learned of art, of history, and of music to a smaller extent. This is my home, and I can't go back to it as it was." His tone was even, only finally relenting some sadness, his head drooping a few centimeters, when he finished with, "Worse yet, Amisra will fit in well in your cursed society."

FloweryDream

She scrunched up her face at the response, turning away as she shook her head. "A knife traded for a vice grip. What a thing to be grateful for!" She muttered. "How much was shifted into the vision of politicians like her? How much was lost or smeared in that process?" She wasn't looking for a real answer, that much was clear. "How quickly will she tread back on these promises and acts of goodwill as soon as they no longer profit her? She'll pull the rug from underneath us the moment she feels that it is more worthwhile to appeal to the population that would see us returned to our home and not return to the city borders."

She stepped further away, eyes scanning the city for... Something. Anything that would catch her mind or thoughts. "You wish to see us integrated, to see us walk among you, and you among us. I will do so at my own want, I will not be spied upon or my mere existence used as a political ploy!" There was more than just the experience she just had speaking, there were years of being used like this. Trained and raised a scion, whose wants and needs were tossed aside in favor of politics. Her whole life and she never considered until today that she could still play an instrument, and already such things were being dangled on a string.

"I find it difficult to believe that your many offers to us still stand should we refuse to cooperate with the likes of her." She admitted, the crux of the issue brought to light.

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
A pained look washed over the professor's face. Months of preparation were in jeopardy now, the slow, grinding build up a relationship with the Aos Si. In retrospect, perhaps he shouldn't have waited for the government to conduct second-contact with the aliens. Maybe he should've found some rich philanthropist independent from the petty politics that still plagued humanity, asked him to fund solar arrays that would power the Aos Si's reconstruction. Maybe he'll try that with another group of Aos Si on the planet. It was too late for that approach with this group though.

"You have to understand that a lot of what she does is out of necessity." The professor explained reluctantly. "The same surveillance applied to you applies to her as well. Even without the authoritarianism we don't have a lot of privacy, so whatever we really want to do has to happen behind especially closed doors, which is what I suspect your fri---, Amisra is doing right now with the Governor." He corrected himself. Gwaed and the Aos Si woman seemed to be reluctant partners, while Sai didn't belong, at all. It was frankly somber to see the same divisions weren't just human nature. "My best advice is to live among us long enough that people get bored of you and direct their cameras elsewhere."

"We wait then." Gwaed reasoned, huffing. "We wait to be forgotten, is that it? Our solution is to become forgotten, faces in the crowd?" As much as he hated the cameras, the constant surveillance, to be forgotten felt wrong. To be forgotten and cast aside, no. He didn't want that. He may not have the political understanding of Amisra, but surely these parasites could understand, even respect the opposite, someone who was honest. He would be brutally honest if he had to, the one they could turn to and know he spoke according to his thoughts. That would be enough for him. He had work to do.

"I have too much I need to do here. If I am to be forced to live and learn among these parasites of parasites, then I will have to work as well." Still looking down into the city, at all the paved over ruins. "I need to fix this mess, or the Aos Si will never even consider coming here. They'd prefer to live in the woods, where they are safe, and I would rather be there too. There is much work to do." He pointed down into the city. "Imagine this city, restored in some way to the glorious vista it once was." The brief optimism was washed away immediately as Gwaed remembered where he was. "In only it wouldn't be overcome with your stench, hidden by your skyline of artless buildings."

FloweryDream

"Perhaps it would be better if our perception of your people not be marred by its..." She searched for a word, but none seemed appropriate. The ones she knew hardly seemed fitting enough, descriptive in the way she wanted. She shook her head, giving up before moving on. "It would not do well, to have our people be given promises of a better life only to be met with the likes of her and her flagrant use of morality as a tool for personal gain." She turned to the Professor once more, a tired look in her contradicting eyes. "I won't have our livelihoods, the politics of our being devised by some petty politician playing Empress. Like any of our kind would believe the laws of the same kind that demanded our destruction! Very few would see the words written on such a proclamation as anything other empty and treacherous, with a sole purpose to draw us out of hiding to subjugate us once more."

She paused, looking back to the city. It looked strange up here, like some fantastical and unreasonable tesseract described in the remnants of libraries and passed down in what remained. Perhaps now she realized why such impossible shapes, such unworldly and unfathomable designs fascinated her ancestors that experienced them before. She knew that more lingered in the edges, in the creases and pockets that this strange and lifeless sight hid away. Perhaps it was time to see them. Perhaps she simply wanted to do something that would shine positive light upon them and grow the ire of that horrid woman speaking to their own horrid woman.

"Take us into the city. Perhaps we'll find people more reasonable in humble positions than we will within your pinnacles!"

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Shi Cheng stayed frowning at Gwaed's criticism. He wondered how he'd push back against the Aos Si's incorrect assumptions of mankind as a whole, how most are closer to the Aos Si than to the ruling class. He wanted to tell him that, no, most humans were not parasites, at least not anymore, and that they were just as capable of creativity as the Aos Si were. Words would've only make the male Aos Si dig deeper into his assumptions though. It turned out the Aos Si fell into the same psychological follies as humans did. Odd how that worked.

But Sai's request saved him. Witnessing the city at the ground level with their own eyes, making judgements facing reality, that was the best outcome the professor could hope for at this point. Therefore, he made a small smile and agreed. "That can be arranged. You have maps on your datapad. How about you choose where to go now, while we wait for Amisra to finish the negotiations?"

FloweryDream

Sai gave a distant nod as she turned back to the railing, awkwardly laying her datapad against it. There was enough room for it to sit without falling, and it would take some sudden, extreme wind to knock it off, and even then she’d have the chance to grab it and regret her action. No gusts came as she slowly navigated the device, the map of the city revealing itself without context. That same, impossible shape and design, one that meant less the higher you went, and from the skyline perspective of the map, nothing in it appealed to her. She zoomed in, scrolling through streets and sectors, unsure of what she was looking for. Most of it looked largely the same, patches of green alien flora disturbing the otherwise uniform look of the city.

Then she saw flashes of red.

She frowned, looking at the image closer. Her eyes didn’t deceive her, a local tree or bush of some kind, it was difficult to tell from the straight-up angle of the map, but there most certainly was a handful of native plants here, in the middle of the city, at some inconsequential section that lingered right on the edge of a major river. There were fewer plants than she initially thought, but the color red was far more prevalent in this sector than her brief glances anywhere else, and she got the impression that a lot of what she was looking at was half-hidden under overpasses and outcroppings.

“This place, here. The… Rlung Rta Cultural Center Square. The words flowed strangely, they didn’t feel like they fit within the concepts of what they had been taught. Still, not one to be dissuaded, she hastily had them board the vessel they had arrived on, eagerly watching as it left the highrise building, towards the destination she had chosen at near-random. As she watched the building vanish into the distance, becoming one of many unoriginal shapes, fading into obscurity, as it ought to.

She felt that rise of rebellion once more, she could practically feel how daggers glared at her in secret as she ruined the first meeting already, and though such issues were likely accounted for and planned for, she had a hard time believing that anybody would have been able to plan for such a twist. To be so disgusted by the political leaders that the elves instead turned to those on the streets to find common ground.

Go on, you little snake Amisra, coil around your own kind with your spats of venom and choking of breath. Keep them busy, allow us to find the real corner for our people, allow us to find the true heart of these humans, not the corrupted ego.

Let us find the real way to pierce at that villain, in the people she manipulates.

===============================​

The city shifted like the passing images of the impossible tesseract that lingered in the depths of her mind. Shifting with perception, it flowed like a wave of passing and inconceivable images and angles, too quick for anything to be gained other than a headache, snapshots of distant scenes from distant lives that passed and were forgotten in the same instance they were found. Crawling crowds of people went by, going about their lives, thinking in their own terms in their own perspectives, many likely not even realizing how small they seemed from the vessel flowing overhead. Like a great bird, it flew by, conservatively passing taller buildings with wide berths, turning safely as it began to lower to a clear landing pad, softly resting upon it as a raptor returned to its nest.

Though it was unclear how much use it got, the landing pad was set up to walk directly into a large street, one that saw primarily foot traffic, the actual roads a stone's throw towards the wall of tenements and apartments, and even then it hardly seemed a busy one, with more cars parked along the side of it than traveling by, with those that did going slowly to parse through the foot traffic that seemed to care little for the fast-paced method of travel.

Stepping out onto the wide and shallow steps, it began to make more sense that this landing pad was more for official appearances of somebody who would arrive for important meetings and events, or even for medical extractions of some kind. Though the steps downward were diagonal to the otherwise very square design of the block, they gave a very good impression of what the Rlung Rta Cultural Center Square really was.

To the right of the landing pad was the Cultural Center itself, though it seemed much more a temple than anything else. The tall, ornate building reached high into the sky, with windows showing tall, infrequent floors rather than a traditional reasonable design, and the very bottom floor being concave, the building's second floor, a good thirty feet off the ground, overhanging the square. Though, the details of the building and its odd flooring design seemed unimportant compared to the massive statue built into the outer wall of the first floor.

The statue was of a six-armed being, an androgynous figure made of polished bronze that sat with legs crossed, hidden under ample robes that hung off the figure's body, meant for someone with much more fat on their flesh. The face of the statue was in a content expression, one free from strife but also from great joy. The hair was tied back into a bun, or some form of Ushnisha, leaving the forehead of the androgynous figure taut, with a strange yet simple series of dots having been carved inward just above the simple eyebrows, which lingered over closed eyes.

The most inward set of arms clasped together in the center of the chest, elbows resting diligently downwards, gentle hands meeting one another roughly a distance of the figure's own fist length from its sternum, its hands covered in strange markings that seemed to meld together. Stern focus upon the hands might recognize the formation of stars, linked together by common astrological lines that formed a bias of some common linking that escaped the knowledge of a passing observer.

The middle set of arms reached higher, above the figures head to a thin set of angled pillars, like spears, that were supported from the corner of the base of the statue to pierce into the second floor of the building, as if those thin rods could hold the entire weight of the building and its many floors. Though one could confuse them for spears, no edge or point was visible on them, instead marked by many single colored flags that shifted in the wind, scarcely affected due to their short length, attached to a length of rope that extended along the poles in a way that allowed them to be pulled inward and removed if needed.

The final set of arms, grown from what had to be the back of the figure, reached upward, straining even higher than the other two, thin and gangly arms straining, bent at the elbow and clasping together, fingers interlocked desperately with fervent grip to one another. It seemed out of place compared to the other two sets and alone was set apart in the lofty darkness near the dark wall behind it, which seemed oddly barren compared to the surrounding tapestries and flags that hung bravely for them to see.

The building had entrances on its left and right, of which a steady flow of people walked in and out. While many looked identical to those they had grown used to seeing in the city, there was more variance here, a tinge of some other culture they had not noticed before, along with humans that looked different than the ones they had encountered. Clothing seemed different, with many people wearing simplistic robes, though many wore strange and ornate designs that fit on them well, identical in construction to the clothes they had grown used to seeing, but clearly put together in a different manner.

In the center of the square was a handful of selectively grown trees from the forests the Aos Si had come from. The trees were young, but they grew well, red grass sprouting around their roots in their square, much-too-large gardens that planned for their maximum size that they would not reach for another two hundred years. Various items were neatly laid out around the trees, though it was difficult to tell them from a distance. Isles of stalls and various open-air businesses lingered, a crowd of shifting people making it difficult to tell them apart.

Soft music played from the stringed instrument of a nearby woman who sat on the steps of the great statue lingered through the air, paired with the smell of cooked foods and sizzling meals. Sai stood, slowly taking in the sight, trying to make sense of… Any of it. ”Professor.” She finally spoke, turning to him, having been the first one to the steps. ”What… Is this?”

Gwaed, despite his enjoyment of culture, was too stubborn to care about the human's statue. How they could conceive of such a being was beyond him for the moment, instead he found himself walking up to the young trees and feeling along them. They reminded him of home, the home he'd found after his real home was utterly destroyed. Why would these trees be here? Did the humans dare to consider them part of their culture, or did they simply wish for more green in their grey lives?

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
"A cultural center, as the name implies," Shi Cheng politely waved at one of the passerby's who gave curious glances at the Aos Si. "For one of our minority groups: Tibetan Buddhists. When the previous administration was still in power, these people were suppressed heavily by my race, the Han, as the administration conducted what amounted to genocide on these people. Others as well. But,"

He scratched his hair. "As your own people can attest, one does not end a culture, a religion, a race, so easily. No, despite the hundreds of ways we've developed to remove the rights of others," The professor gestured to the building itself, "A seed, a smoldering ember, is always preserved, waiting to grow once more favorable conditions are met. In this case, for many of our minority groups, the conditions came in two parts. One, is the fall of the previous administration, removing government sponsored oppression. Two, is distance. Li Ming was never quite tightly controlled as Sol was, thus minorities stowed away their cultural embers to this planet to grow anew, and they did."

Shi Cheng glanced at man walking by. His skin darker than that of the professor's, a different facial complexity, clearly a different subrace of the humans. The man gave the professor a foul look, while Shi Cheng in turn could only smile amiably. "Of course," The professor mused with difficulty, one hand on his chin, "The wrongs of the past are not so easily healed. They leave scars. For these people, the Tibetan Buddhists here, they simply want the freedom to practice their own culture without interference. Their involvement in our politics only goes as far as protecting their own rights. The majority of my people saw it best to treat them as equals. After all, we were all oppressed. Some more than others."

FloweryDream

The trees were contained in large concrete blocks that appeared quite hollow, full of the dirt of the world and prettied up by red grass that filtered up from it. There was far more room for growth than the trees had any real time to grow, leaving space where one day, perhaps the blocks would prove too small when all the humans who walked these streets had grown old and passed away. Still, the scaled bark of the tree looked healthy as Gwaed approached, full of immature brightness that the species was known for, deeper and darker colors only appearing on the scaled bark in later years. The branches, lingering only at the top of the tree with few offshoots, were filled with healthy leaves that sprouted as red as the grass. Though the trees appeared healthy, there were a few signs of intervention, like barely noticeable rings of stunt, where a rope tied to help the tree grow straight had restrained its horizontal growth in specific inch-tall rings, now so grown over that they were hardly noticeable. Paired with bent and unhealthy limbs being cut, newer limbs growing from the bundle of scar tissue burls showed strange, loving care from whichever botanists found the time and energy to put these trees in place.

It was something harshly different than other areas of the city. So far they had seen nothing local grown in the city. The odd green plants of their homeworld lingered alongside their buildings and homes, threatening to, on a particularly windy day, seed out into the planet and invade where it was not wanted. If such a thing happened, nothing would stop the botanical warfare that followed. Yet these people, or at least whoever owned this plot of land cared enough to try and cultivate these red-leaved plants, leaving them in their own spot to watch the new humans cultivate the planet as they did the trees.

As he approached, a bronze sign made itself apparent, stitched into the concrete where anyone could read it.

In Honorable Memory Of Narengawa Bhattarai
As we reach for the stars
Let the fruits of our hands bring life to saplings
And in the dirt stirred by our passing
Let life grow as it did before we arrived

A few signs lingered next to it, each one the same size and shape, though Gwaed would be unable to read all but one other. It quickly became clear that it was the same message and its hopeful text, but what would catch his eye is that two signs were fastened to parallel one another in the center of the concrete box's wall, facing the large statue. While one was unreadable, the other was plain to read, even easier than the learned language they all spoke, for it was written entirely in the Aos Si script, for people they could have never known would read it upon this day.

The grass was not barren, as when he approached the items scattered upon it became more clear. They were not haphazardly tossed about, but rather had been neatly laid before the trees like offerings. Bundles of neatly wrapped cloth, typically of a single color, hid their contents as they were carefully placed upon the grass, while others were more clear. Plates of incense burned idly, only touching the nose as Gwaed approached; while leaning against the tree was a bright pink bundle of cloth. Weaved from silk or some other precious cloth, it had been tightly and carefully wrapped around a small, round figure that could fit in the palm of one's hand. The figure, like a swaddled baby, shared the androgynous face of the statue. It was the only offering that seemed touched by age, but it lingered unbroken nevertheless.

As Gwaed had time to inspect the strange organic refuge, he would notice from his side somebody approaching, their footsteps clear, their hands forward in welcome. The wrinkled face of an old woman, worn and weathered by time greeted him in silence with a muted smile. The flesh of her face was touched by scars of slashes and acid, and even in her old age, she had immaculately cared for her robes which held to her body well and with great gentleness. Her frail hands clasped together as she offered a low bow, despite the state of her body. "We are so pleased that you've finally come."

===============================

There were tinges of more than just Tibetan Buddhism present, though it was clearly the primary source of these people. The form of Buddhism they practiced had changed over time, especially with the advent of technological progress, and the act of stepping upon another planet. Even the name embedded in the placard wasn't purely Tibetan, being a mixture of it along with Mongolian, a woman who shared both legacies and defended their right to culturally mix and merely exist against the CCP before being jailed on the planet, wasting away for months before she reportedly began to refuse food, secretly offering it to other prisoners before she died days before they were released among the chaos of the fall.

Sai recognized that there was something more to it, but she did not press for further details, slowly looking through the crowd with confusion. It was... Strange, how after all this time, through identical streets and immaculate buildings, that something like this could still exist. The statue stood as a testament to art and culture, and these people seemed so different despite living so close. It seemed almost overwhelming to see so much... New things. The city itself was large and imposing, but it didn't have the same feeling that this place did, with its sights and smells and the lingering pulse of the music. This place was alive, and in fleeting memories, she remembered similar grand sights as a child, though they were blurry and uncertain.

She slowly stepped into the crowd, her gaze upward to the statue, or to the trees that Gwaed had taken the short ten-step walk to investigate, or the row of stalls that offered wares and foods and little trinkets. It caused her heart to pulse upward into a frantic beat, and she realized, with sudden elation, what she had been looking for. Up there, in the towers of politicians and those who sought power, corruption lingered, but here, where people communed with their ancestors in the way that extended across galaxies, this was where humans were. This was the stepping stone forward for their people that gave them the life and leverage to find peace, even when their lesser selves forbade it.

It was the immortality humans claimed they did not have, mantles and images were taken up by hundreds, then thousands, then more. It was life not extended vertically, but horizontally, infinitely in all directions. "...May we visit those stalls, Professor?" She asked, giving him an uncertain look, and the voice would give him pause. It wasn't asked in the way she normally spoke, with hesitation and reluctance, a clear barrier between her emotions and what she said to keep him and all the others at arm's length.

It was spoken in the voice of a young student seeing the world for the first time.

Gwaed had stood before the plaque written in his own text, the script he's learned growing up, with some amount of shock. There was no way this would have been set up just for them, would it? This was something immortalized by someone in the memory of another person, and he stared at it with confusion. He had heard, or rather felt, the footsteps of the being approaching, but he'd ignored it. If someone came to kill him, he's just kill them instead, and if they were just passing they didn't deserve his attention anyway. However, this individual walked up to him. His gaze shifted to them as they spoke, and for a second he was caught off guard. An elder of the humans, an elderly woman spoke to him like someone having their thoughts confirmed.

He turned fully to her, and gave a small unsure bow, responding in their human tongue. "The thought surprises me, miss. I apologize, but the idea that a human would be pleased to see me is unexpected." His hand rested on the tree, next to the plaque. He wasn't really sure how to respond at the moment, but the elder had done nothing to him. At least... he thought so. Her wounds, her age, surely she must be a Parasite. Yet instead of taking out his unkept anger on this old woman, he just responded politely. "Given the existence of your technology, I am not surprised, however, that you know of us."

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
The professor gave a smile, nodding lightly to Sai, allowing her to walk around as she pleased. It was supposed to be this way. Freedom of movement, without a care in the world, talking to whomever they pleased to learn of their culture, exchange knowledge. There were ugly aspects of life that couldn't be ignored, of course, but these two Aos Si have already experienced too much of it. What they needed was a brighter, more innocent perspective of humanity, down on the streets, where all people wanted was to breathe freely and live their lives at their own pace.

Therefore, he stepped back, letting the old woman do the talking. There were many like her, minorities in the regime who spent the prime of their lives humiliated, their identities grinded away to a culture molded artificially. But the regime was less of a grindstone and more of a weight, only able to suppress them for so long wen the regime died, and rediscovery of their identities began. In the case of this older woman, Shi Cheng had to guess she emigrated to the Li Ming system before the end of the 23rd century and spent the rest of her life here, carefully hiding away and practicing her people's traditions, and only recently was able to proudly display it in this block of the city without fear of penalty.

The old woman chuckled. "Of course we'd welcome you." She smiled warmly. "I've been through enough nonsense myself to learn what it's like to be smaller voice in town. Everyone needs a home and family. There are plenty of people here who want to meet you. Sure, there are plenty of others who'd rather you not exist, but we aren't monolith, you know?" To Gwaed, she looked like an Aos Si at least six or seven centuries old, but by human standards, she was over a century old at best. Nonetheless, her mind was acute, as she continued. "When word got out of your arrival, more curious students of ours sought to practice their creative muscle and work out your script." The old woman pointed to the Professor. "You can thank him for educating them."

FloweryDream

There was a life here that she hadn't expected in the depths of the city. She had seen it from above, from the distance, and always it seemed a heartless thing. A place without morals, without reason, one where people grew and lived and were corrupted by the immutable presence of the concrete world around them. She thought they had walled themselves off from the planet and would suffer as a result, but as she slowly walked through crowds of people in colorful clothing, speaking in a mixture of strange tongues she did not recognize, eating food that touched her nose in nostalgic and primal ways, she found a new understanding. The was a connection between the planet and the city, and many people, like the Governor, had chosen to ignore it. They preferred to build walls and grow their own plants from their distant homes and pretend that they weren't countless steps from where they came from.

Others embraced the connection, but even that required acknowledging the city as its own entity. It may have roots that sink down into ancient ruins and the depths of the world, far deeper than any given brick was truly laid, but it was still its own entity. She had seen its hard shell and assumed it the bones of a carcass, but here she found a thriving vein. It was more than a sobering thought, it was one that soothed a part of her that she hadn't realized was aching. For a brief moment, she could feel the scrape of strings against her fingers as music passed her by, and the shiver ended as quickly as it came.

The row of stalls sat like a wall, each one so tightly snug against some fixture that she had initially assumed they were fully backed into some short wall. Upon closer inspection, she realized that they all connected into a series of tents and storage spaces that they shared, like a bulwark of tents and people. The sign above each stall described the name of the owner, or whatever name they had given their business and some selling point about what they wished to sell, all written in an amalgamation of various languages with such condensed capacity that there was often little to no negative space available. Those that were had been affixed with small cutesy depictions of the items they sold, or some mascot in trendy apparel, striking a pose.

There was shifting in the crowd as she approached, just a stray few steps from Gwaed. They hardly seemed to notice her beyond approaching footsteps to the small grouping of people that seemed to have its own tempo pace for handling such lines, adjusting to odd-ducks-out like Sai. Space opened naturally, and she approached a vendor, one whose signs offered Cultural Center Memorabilia with small depictions of strange items that lacked the cultural context to explain what they were or what they were used for.

The vendor, a short man in comfortable, well-adjusted, and ornate robes looked up from his last transaction with a small shock, brown eyes glancing between Sai, the professor, and Gwaed. Of the three, the Professor stood out the least, but in his current company, he still seemed an outcast among the crowd. "The natives have come here?" He seemed surprised, genuinely at a loss for words as Sai studied him. He was a bald man, his body covered in tattoos that seemed to match that of a painting, yellow-green stars on a swirling canvas of blues, connected by vague and often interpreted lines that gave... Some meaning that escaped Sai. The Professor would recognize them as the Nazca Expanse, one of the constellations visible from the planet's surface on clear nights. Like many variations of the popular tattoo, it held many personal touches and unique swirls of color, though this man clearly had a more expanded image than most did. A distant star, one commonly dim in the constellation, had been highlighted a bright and bold yellow on his exposed neck.

He leaned forward, a small, quaint smile forming on his face. "If we knew one of our Professors would be bringing guests, we would have done more to prepare. My wife won't let me live such a thing down, her missing such an occasion!" He spoke with instant familiarity, casually grabbing a small item, presenting it to the table. "You would not mind, Professor, if we offer gifts? It is the least we can do, on such short notice." He spoke eloquently, leaving the item to be inspected by Sai, who leaned forward cautiously, her one hand moving to pick it up.

It was a small trinket, something one bought to place in their house or apartment to adorn it. A flat-based statue that fits in the palm of one's hands, round and vaguely humanoid, like a Russian nesting doll, with only its androgynous, content face visible from the swaddle of bright blue cloth that kept the otherwise smooth and round shape contained. She did not understand what it was, or what it meant, but something about it felt... Connected. "It's... Beautiful." She commented after a moment, her face uneven as she furrowed her brow.

She did not understand it, but the professor would. It was a charm, or an offering, depending on how it was used, though the blue cloth most frequently symbolized wisdom.

CadetNewb

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Moderator
"Oh?" a familiar voice exclaimed, curious. Ever the ranger, Amisra had apparently tracked them down and effectively caught up to them, and now eyed Sai in particular as the younger Aos Si took interest in the trinket before her. There were many questions to ask with the arrival of her presence, such as what she had discussed with the governor, or how she had even found them again in the city. Or, maybe what her own thoughts were on their current surroundings. But all of that was put to pause as she watched. Though there was a distance between them all, Amisra's presence seemed to cast a shadow, the pressure of her curiosity bearing down on them like a weight. "What do your eyes see?" she asked, ever so slightly smiling.

Gwaed breathed a small sigh of relief at the elder woman's words. Whether he could trust her or not was something to worry about for sure, but still her words almost gave him hope. "That is... good to hear." He stated plainly. He looked around still with careful eyes, looking to where Sai gathered her trinket. To him, this entire place seemed disconnected from the city, apart while within, and it was made clearer by the items they kept. Gwaed made a note in his own mind to inquire of them later, to find whatever passed for a library in his cursed city so he might learn of the blessed ground he stood on.

And then it seemed Amisra had returned, and Gwaed felt a mix of muted emotions. There were questions to ask, yes, but she'd be a fool to think he'd dare ask of them in public. In all honesty, he didn't really want to ask anyway. In the presence of these humans, these beings separated from but a part of the city, he almost felt at home. Almost. He was glad she had survived at least, his assumption that she'd be just at home in the den of vipers must have been absolutely correct. He regarded her with a solemn glance, deciding quite suddenly that he didn't care to speak to her at the moment. There would be time for that later. For now, he wanted only to enjoy this slice of value in an otherwise disappointing society.

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
"Of course you may." Shi Cheng readily nodded to the man. Internally, he was somewhat hesitant. In retrospect he should've been more careful with the Aos Si, wipe down everything with alcohol before they touched it: the shuttle, the datapads bought for them. It was even more foolish to let them eat the food provided to them by the governor; he and the institute still only had surface level knowledge of how the Aos Si's immune system interacted with human elements. What if they got terribly sick?

The professor tried to shake off the concern. Their medical technology should be able to handle any illnesses inflicted on the Aos Si caused unintentionally by them. Worst case scenario, the Aos Si are to be put in cyrostasis chambers until treatment becomes available. Though, that certainly wouldn't help their relationship.

He commented to Gwaed as Sai continued talking to the short man. "Part of my xenobiology studies first involved understanding the diverse culture of my own people, which is why they know me. This isn't the only cultural center of the city either. You'll find a Malaysian-Australian block, Indo-Thai, and Mongolian-Han. Recently we've been trying to attract Korean-Japanese folks over as well, but they're squarely American Union people, even though we shared most of our history in close proximity with each other." He paused, then ruffled his own hair uneasily.

"Those names... they all went over your head, didn't they?" Shi Cheng pushed out a chuckle as Amisra arrived.