• Nobles of Null is a forum based roleplay site where sci-fi and magic collide. Here, Earth remains fractured and divided despite humanity reaching out to the stars. Worse still, the trans-human slaves of one major power have escaped, only to establish their own Empire, seething with resentment at abuses of the past. Even the discovery of aliens, though medieval in development, has failed to rally these squabbling children of Earth together with its far darker implications. Worse still, is the discovery of the impossible - magic. Practiced by the alien locals, nearly depleted and therefore rare, its reality warping abilities remains abstract and distant to the general populace. All the while, unseen in the darkness of space, forces from without threaten to press in. For those with eyes opened by insight, it is clear that an era is about to end, and that a new age will dawn.

Chapter 1: Homecoming

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Early March, 2320

Sol System, Luna, Merbold Complex

It has been a few months since the Grau Lancers' campaigns on Earth. Most of the old team have either retired gracefully or left without a word, as the government contractors forcefully put down any nascent rebellion spurred on by Hawking's war for independence. With most of the team gone, the Grau couple decided to disband the organization temporarily as they reorganized, anticipating a need for their services at another time. That time did come, but with unexpected allies and circumstances.

The "downtown" center of the Merbold Complex was built two centuries ago as the GDW expanded across the solar system and made its first steps into the Silbern system. Its architecture was archaic, being a relatively simple, albeit large, dome buried beneath the regolith to shield it from radiation and the continuous harassment from micrometeorites. Overtime, spinning rings were buried around the complex that simulated Earth's gravity, resulting in the rich and affluent moving out of the dome. Despite the one-sixth g in the center dome, the low maintenance cost kept it as cheap real estate to build businesses on, preserving the dome's status as a center for commerce on the GDW-occupied territories on Luna.

The Grau couple walked into a well lit park area of the complex, illuminated by strong ceiling lights, bioengineered trees and grass grown on false soil refined through the regolith. Behind them followed their newest recruit to the team, Caleb Gellar, and a family friend of the Graus, simply known as Mr. Montgomery, an older gentleman in his 70's who served as electrical engineer, logistician, and in the past, babysitter for whoever's children was stuck onboard. The two men were in simple collared shirts and pants, while Ulrike Grau was in dress pants and a blouse.

Ulrike tapped her datapad, firing off a message to the rest of the team as the group found a public table to sit down at.

Caleb took a seat at the table, his new uniform fitting uncomfortably around his left forearm, due to the tracker and paralytic injector on his arm. It bulged out his uniform and made it abundantly obvious that he had something under his sleeve there. The rest of the uniform fit comfortably, and was a fairly fashionable cut to boot. He would have been far more comfortable in his armor and duster, but at least it looked good, and his hat had gone missing from his personal items as well, likely stolen by one of the guards, or just misplaced. He'd need to find a replacement once he got the chance. His face had been cleaned up, but thankfully, not clean shaven, just the way he liked it.

Caleb looked around the table at the others seated around the table, and scrutinized them, trying to figure out what they were doing here. For that matter, what they all were doing here of all places. A commercial complex? Caleb doubted they were setting up a store front.

Deciding now was as good a time as any for introductions, he decided to start. "Caleb Gellar, Pilot, Gunslinger, Ex-con, pleasure to meet you all"

Poe

Renee was only a short walk away from the complex when Ulrike messaged, having been surveying the local architecture with a keen and knowledgeable eye. Had she not been scheduled for the introductory meeting with the other Lancers, the French woman would have gone on a run, or maybe to the compound's gym. It had equipment that she had never seen before, and she had been aching to try it out. But, Renee had decided, the meeting was arguably more important. So, there she was, strolling at speed towards the group's location, an impeccably clean black greatcoat over her pristine uniform. Of the many things Renee could be criticised about, the care she gave to her appearance was not one of them.

The walk mainly consisted of dodging personnel and speeding around corners, but she arrived within minutes. As she approached the location, Renee slowed down to catch some breath and re-read Ulrike's message. Odd choice of location for a meeting, but Renee figured that it must have been to do with bugs or people tapping into meetings. Either that or the Grau couple particularly liked nature.

Renee rounded the last corner, spotting the Graus and two unknown men - one considerably older than the other. She couldn't hide the furrowing of her brows quick enough as she sat down at one of the seats, flapping her greatcoat out behind her as she did so. Her sharp eyes surveyed those around the table, accidentally making eye contact with one of them - the man who looked uncomfortable in his uniform. She didn't react and instead leaned backwards to cross one leg over the other, only looking back at the man as he introduced himself.

Caleb Gellar. Renee didn't recognise the name, but his previous careers piqued her interest and her anger. Had the Graus really employed a con and an ex-officer to work together? She shifted uncomfortably, before clearing her throat and moving to speak. "Janvier. Ex counter-terrorism with the CSC," she answered bluntly, her Alsatian accent prominent within her words. As she spoke, she fixed Gellar with a pointed look.

Caleb leaned back in his chair, admiring the greatcoat Janvier was wearing. He nodded in appreciation, and did not miss the pointed look and blunt response. "Impressive accolades. I understand if you might have reservations about mine, but know that I intend to prove to you, that my past is just that, and if you are to judge me, then judge me on how I handle myself in the field, not by what has occurred in my life before this. "Judge not a man by the parts of his life that you were not a part of, you do not know the truth of that time""

Piston1937

Wiki Moderator
Jami had been getting a little restless after the temporary disolution of the lancers. He had enough money to live off of and it wasn't as if he had been uncomfortable but civilian ife didn't agree with him. Sitting in an apparment and looking at displays where masses talks, argued, debated, and jerked off to eachother just didn't fit with him. So when the option to rejoin the reforming lancers appears he jumped on it, which is why he was sitting on a bench in in the designated area.

Like the good grunt he was he got up and moved over to the growing group and gave a salute, standing there in his camo shirt and cargo pants.

Acewing13

GM
Wiki Moderator
Early March, 2320

Sol System, Luna, Merbold Complex

“Sorry I’m late,” Beatrix Simmons said, bouncing like a Lunar native over to the group. “You’d think I’d have figured out how to get around after a few months, but apparently not.” Wearing a well-tailored pantsuit and a smile, she sat down next to Janvier and nodded to the newcomers. “Hi, I’m Bee. I’m assuming you’re Renee and you’re Caleb, unless both of your parents went for the gender swapped names?”

DUCATISLO

Žana was the new recruit here since she got relocated from Earth to here she did have a little hard time slithering around to the place she needed to be at. , but she arrived within some minutes. As she approached the location, she enters it. Her facial expressions were pretty neutral but she was a bit shy since she isn't familiar with anyone here and she was pretty different from the rest.

She looks around the table a bit then speaks up. "uhh hey I'm new here, names Žana...I'm the new recruit." in a bit of a nervous tone, then looks around for a chair and "sits" on it a bit difficult since she had to curl her tail around it to get conftroble. she then again looks around the table and would wait if anyone asked her something.

skeka Scifi Copy screenshot.png

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Ulrike and Eberhard gave polite but uneasy smiles at Zana, then smiled warmly at Beatrix and Jami.

"It's good to have you two part of the team again. I hope you two spent your downtime well." Ulrike nodded to them.

Eberhard coughed, interrupting Renee and Caleb's traded barbs. He stood up from his seat, speaking to the group as a whole. "I'd like to welcome all our new recruits. You've been chosen for your expertise above all else, regardless of history," He eyed Caleb, "Or race." He then eyed Zana. "Our work is very important, as we work in the shadows to maintain the greater interest. As we speak, we have a major assignment in planning that'll change the fate of the GDW. I hope you'll treat each other as brothers and sisters and see the task to its successful completion. We'll be talking to each other a lot in the next few months, perhaps too much," Eberhard chuckled, "But for now, does anyone want to say anything before we head to our ship?"

DUCATISLO

Žana was just listening Eberhard speak before he asked the question. "Well I would ask something but since I'm new to this I dont know where to start haha, maybe on the ship I can get some more info but I did read on the basic stuff about the GL." She looks at the others then back to Eberhard

Last edited:

Piston1937

Wiki Moderator
Jamison nodded back to ulrike and eberhard and picked up the duffle bag that held most of his worldly possessions, then picked up the massive gun case that held the other worldly possession that he had.

“It was fine.” He said in response to the question in his usual gruff cockney accent.

Poe

Renee squared her jaw, but the look softened at the quote. At least he seemed smart, that was... workable. At Eberhard's cough, Renee shifted slightly, pulling her eyes away from Caleb and towards the new arrivals - Bee, Jamison and Zana. As Bee called her by her first name, Renee noticeably bristled, but relaxed at her last comment, letting out a laugh in the form of a sharp exhale. Her grey eyes then shifted to Zana, fixing her with a look of intrigue rather than discomfort, before looking back up to Eberhard. Her gaze glossed over slightly as she zoned out to focus solely on his words. She didn't personally have any questions, having read the manuals back to front in preparation for missions.

As Jamison began to move, Renee frowned slightly. Had she been supposed to pack a bag? Who would water the bonsai tree now? Her frown grew slightly, before shifting in her seat to uncross her legs, unsure of whether to stand just yet or remain seated. She was not going to ask the question of packing bags, not in front of the others, anyway. She cleared her voice and spoke again. "I have no questions, and I am happy to see the ship now," Janvier said, tone quiet but still firm.

DUCATISLO

As Renee was talking Žana was just looking at her with a neutral expression and listening. after when she heard about the ship part she got a bit excited to see it and how it could look like. tho still these were new faces for her but she had a feeling everything would go well just act calm.

Caleb grimaced at the reprimand, realizing that he needs to perhaps hold his tongue, and deal with others in private. This was a group meeting after all. He nodded to Renee, and turned back to the Grau leaders. Giving them his full attention. "I feel like we should get to the ship and get this show on the road."

Acewing13

GM
Wiki Moderator
Good thing Joan isn’t on the team anymore, Bee thought as she nodded to the newly arrived Daqin. Probably would have shot the snake lady on sight.

“Yep, had a good break,” she replied to Ulrike. “Won’t bore you with the details.”

“I’m with everyone in wanting to get moving,” Beatrix said with a shrug. “Think my questions are more suited for a more secure environment.”

Ray of Meep

Administrator
Wiki Moderator
Eberhard nodded. "Indeed. Unfortunately we can only talk sparely out here. Follow me." He gestured to the group to follow him, heading towards the edges of the dome." Ulrike stood up to follow, but not before looking back at Renee with a slightly concerned look. "Is something the matter? If you need to do anything before we leave, we'll have some time." She smiled softly.

The group navigated through the dome complex, weaving through crowds of people. Given Luna's crossroads location between deep space and the center of humanity, all walks of life step on its soil, dig through its rocks to carve out a living out of this otherwise lifeless gravity well. Merbold Complex hosted creatures no different, from the planet-born humans of Earth, sturdy, tanned by sunlight; to the void-born of the Jovian moons and the Silbern system, tall and pale and frail; to the unique Daqin creations sanctioned by the GDW, canine and feline and snake forms. They all congregated here in an uneasy peace, carving out a living in the maze of corridors and rooms and floors that was Merbold Complex, then spilling out of it to the newer habitation rings, should they afford the real estate. It is in this melting pot of cultures and races that the Lancers slipped through without much incident other than the occasional, curious glance.

Eventually they came upon a shut double-sliding-door airlock on one of the outermost walls of the dome. Eberhard watched as a pair, man and woman in CSC (Commonwealth Space Command) uniforms tapped a scanner with their cards, prompting the airlock to hiss open. He nodded to the pair, tapping his own card before heading in.

Behind the airlock was a rather simple railway station. White ceiling lights brightly lit the area. The walls were covered by the GDW flag and those of its member states, along with too many propaganda advertisement posters for the CSC and the CDSMM, along with too few for the CTM. A large airlock at one end of the station split open, sliding out of the way in two directions as a shuttle entered. After the Lancers and the military couple entered, it then reversed directions, back into the tunnel.

The shuttle itself had small bins of emergency equipment near the floors, while the walls and ceiling were plastered with monitors to show the view as if they were riding on the surface. Solar-arrays dotted the lunar terrain illuminated by the Sun. The occasional rover hauled rock and ice from the permanently shadowed edges of the crater Merbold Complex was placed in, delivering them to some refinery elsewhere. In the distance forward, another complex could be seen, protected by a suite of small mass drivers and several large ones, the size of entire corvettes, supported by a host of tall sensor towers. Half a dozen corvettes and frigates, their drive plumes like bright stars in the sky, departed and landed into the complex. There was no mistaking it. The Lancers were entering Tyre Base, the largest GDW military installation on Luna and its largest dedicated military shipyard.

DUCATISLO

Žana was just sticking close with the group as they walked to their destination she was looking around the dome since she saw some places she didnt seen yet. The shipyard though was pretty amazing as her eyes widened a bit she was pretty amazed by this. Still her new team she did wanted to socialize with them when the briefing was done.

Poe

Renee stood as Ulrike did, mirroring her actions before awkwardly grimacing at her commander's question. Her pale face flushed a little with embarrassment, having hoped that no one would have noticed her apparent look of apprehension on her face. At the reassurance, Renee nodded. That had indeed been her issue. "It it just that I would need to make a few arrangements," she explained, trying not to relay that said arrangements would include having to bribe her neighbour to water her favourite plant. There would be hell to pay if Renee's bonsai tree died from dehydration. She could always pretend she had a pet, if asked. Most people seemed to react better to fluffy animals than they did to plants.

As the group strode purposefully towards their destination, Renee took note of the business, frowning as people continued to jostle into her. Occasionally, an angry exclamation would slip from her lips, but she would manage to stop it before it fully manifested into an angry rant in her native language. Upon reaching the airlocked door, Renee's interest was piqued at the CSC uniforms. She did miss it, of course, but she wasn't sure whether it was the job she missed or the people. With a sudden dropping feeling in her chest, Renee realised that she hadn't seen Marco since she had left for the Lancers. She hadn't even told him she was going. The ex-officer shifted uncomfortably but disguised it as a cough, steeling her emotions and placing her thoughts in the back of her mind. She would deal with that later.

The railway station was bland, as ever, but the posters interested Renee, especially those to do with the CSC. She fought back a cynical chuckle at some of the slogans, instead smirking to herself. Of course the job had been interesting and rewarding, but they weren't exactly heroes. The bureaucrats nipped any sense of morality in the bud. As the shuttle drew up to the platform, Renee instinctively boarded it, fixing her eyes on the screens in an attempt to figure out where the group was headed. She had an inkling, but that was all. As soon as the sensor towers appeared on screen, Renee knew where the group was headed. This would be exceptionally interesting, she thought, maybe even fun.

Caleb got off the shuttle, and gawked at the shipyard, and all the ships there. He had spent a long time on ships, and could pick out a few that he remembered seeing in the past, maybe even a few models he had served on. He refocused once they fully entered the shipyard, realizing that he was staring. Now was not the time to get absorbed in the majesty of the ships. He dreamt of flying on his very own ship, but knew that this dream was very far off from the current situation. Now was the time to concentrate at the problems at hand. He needed to prove himself and get this damn armband off. He would prove himself to everyone here. What he did before was a mistake. One he would not make a second time.

He shifted in his uniform, and stood up a little straighter. Thinking, Second chances are hard to come by, so lets not fuck this one up.

Acewing13

GM
Wiki Moderator
Beatrix spent the walk and ride paying attention to her new teammates. Jami’s a relatively well-known quantity, the weirdo that he is, she thought with a smile. Guess we’ll see how the rest stack up.

The flavor of work that the Lancers were signed up for became clear when their destination became clear. On one hand, it feels like I’ve never left the military, she thought, before shrugging. Better than being stuck in some base treating training injuries. Wonder what we’re up to this time.

Piston1937

Wiki Moderator
Jamison didn't like the ride as much as most of the rest, his constant annoyance at the size of hallways was becoming a life long battle between him, his spine, and the ceiling of whatever tin can he happened to be in. Being as tall as he was and the realtive size of the shuttle, he spent most of the time just making sure he wouldn't hurt his back rather than scoping out his new teamates. Though the snake was rather hard to miss, not that he had anything against the daqin or chongwu, he didn't think much of it compared to the others who were slightly easier for him to size up and attempt to get some idea on their personality and how much of a pain in the ass they'd be to him.

Luckily the shuttle trip ended before his spine gave out.